Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are there any competition sport where I can use my bolt action 223rem? Looking more as way to have fun and gain more shooting experience with my 223rem bolt gun. Thanks!

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
F-Class TR allows a straight 223 Rem, you shoot prone off a bipod. Our club matches are pretty informal at 500 yards, but there are higher tier matches at 600 and 1000 throughout the year.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JAC43, Thank you for your feedback! I'll have to see if there are any matches near me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You might check the local rifle clubs to see if they have a "Varmint For Score" match.

Each target card has 6 targets printed on it.
As many shots as you want on the "sighter" but only one shot per target for the remaining 5 targets on that card.
The 10 ring is 1/2" diameter and the center of the 10 has a dot called the "X"
A match is shooting 5 target cards, a total of 25 targets for score with a possible score of 250-25x

Wiggle a little or forget to watch the wind and you'll drop 2-3-4 points in one shot.

Compete against yourself and beat your average, don't worry what the other guys are scoring.

A web search will explain it more simply than I have...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
colodog! Cool! Thank you! I will google that to learn more!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
You might check the local rifle clubs to see if they have a "Varmint For Score" match.

Each target card has 6 targets printed on it.
As many shots as you want on the "sighter" but only one shot per target for the remaining 5 targets on that card.
The 10 ring is 1/2" diameter and the center of the 10 has a dot called the "X"
A match is shooting 5 target cards, a total of 25 targets for score with a possible score of 250-25x

Wiggle a little or forget to watch the wind and you'll drop 2-3-4 points in one shot.

Compete against yourself and beat your average, don't worry what the other guys are scoring.

A web search will explain it more simply than I have...

Score can be fun. But be aware that depending on club rules you very well could find yourself competing against true bench guns. If they have a factory class you should be competitive. Good rest and wind flags are needed. Some clubs run 100, 200, 300 matches where the 1 and 2 are one shot per bull and the 3 is 5 per bull. 200 can vary in shots, but 100 is strictly 1 shot per bull.
2nd drawback is caliber 224 has a very limited error rate pull the shot just enough it’s a 9 due to not touching the line. 6mm and 30 have a much larger error window. Although there is one variation that uses different size targets per caliber to even this out.
It’s a fun game, but don’t compete against just yourself. Sometimes you can learn a few tricks from the guys shooting high scores while your stuck in the low 2’s. I have even shot out of class just to push myself a little farther.

Swifty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In our Varmint Match we have divisions for factory rifle, AR and custom rifle. Each card has ten targets and you have ten minutes to make ten shots at 200m.
the only restrictions on rifle rests are no lead sleds. This competition is a hell of a lot of fun and by next year we may have as many youth shooters as we do adults.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does your bolt action take a detachable magazine?

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My bolt action is a Remington Sendero in .223 and does not have a detachable magazine.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by skitish
In our Varmint Match we have divisions for factory rifle, AR and custom rifle. Each card has ten targets and you have ten minutes to make ten shots at 200m.
the only restrictions on rifle rests are no lead sleds. This competition is a hell of a lot of fun and by next year we may have as many youth shooters as we do adults.

No lead sleds? I wish all of the competition used them except myself. They are a real piece of shift!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My bolt action is a Remington Sendero in .223 and does not have a detachable magazine.

I didn't know they made a short action Sendero....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My CZ 527 American 223rem has 5-round magazine. I could not find a 10-round magazine for it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

No lead sleds? I wish all of the competition used them except myself. They are a real piece of shift!

Amen Butch. That made me laugh, but it is true..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I meet and talked to guy here that does rimfire precision shooting matches. I spoke to him about using my 223rem. He said that it would be good at the local matches as they typically only go out to 600 yards.

Given that range, what bullet would you guys recommend that I look at to handload given the magazine restrictions of saami specs? Should I be looking at the Hornady 75gr HPBT w/o cannelure or perhaps Sierra 69 gs smk? Open to other bullet suggestions as well. I have an 1:8 twist barrel on 223rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
75 gr ELD-M

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jordon,

What's the COL of that 75gr ELD-M? I thought it was longer than 2.250".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, I missed the SAAMI OAL part. If forced to seat too deep for the 75 ELD, then the 73 ELD or the 75 HPBT would be my choice.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jordon,

No worries! Glad to know that I was on right track with the Hornady 75gr HPBT. I'll look into those 73gr ELD as well.

RMR has their 69gr version of the SMK of same weight that you use Sierra load data. They (RMR) have really good pricing thus wondering how that bullet weight would do at 600yard range. I seen the Hornady's costing anywhere from 19cent to 21cents per round whereas the RMR 69gr bullet runs around 14.5 cent per bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you measured the internal mag length, or are you assuming you’ll have to stick with SAAMI length? The 75 ELD is superior to the other options mentioned, if it’ll fit in your mag without seating the ogive below the case mouth. I’m also not sure about the throat length on your rifle, so that’s another consideration, as some bullets shoot best close to, or slightly into, the lands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The amount of Fumbling Dumbfhuqktitude in this Thread,is VERY fhuqking impressive. Hint.

If in fact a true 8" RPM,simply kiss,find pressure and rock on with the 75 ELD at 2900fps. Lapooey brass,400's,Lever and Redding FL die set. Simply dazzle yourself with said sanctity and move magbox COAL shim rearward to accompany same,so as to grant feeding from the OEM box. Hint.

The RMR 69's ain't horrid,but cain't begin to fhuqking hang with the 75 ELD. Hint.

You gals couldn't begin to connect the first fhuqking dot,by yourselves and it's only fhuqking funny,because you are undoubtedly doing your BEST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.