24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A High Standard Sentinel has served me well for many years.
It's beat and ugly but still shoots great.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EJKELLEY
I carry an old cheap Heritage. Near as I can figure, its been on my side for 25 years. Been dropped in the creeks, rivers and mud, bounced out and ran over with the 4wheeler more times than I can recall. If you do any amount of trapping it will get abused and neglected. I sure cant see carrying a nice lookin expensive revolver on the line.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I won't argue with not caring about cosmetics on the trapline, the last thing I want is a cheap or unreliable gun that'll jam. I know of two Heritage Rough Riders that had the hammer cam worn off and wouldn't stay cocked. Due to the sloppy tolerances I have seen several other cheap revolvers ice up and jam that way, regardless of being degreased and dry lubed. Same with a Marlin 39 rifle when the extractor failed to work and I had a casing stuck in the chamber with a very lively wolverine in a foothold.

I am not much of a catch pole guy but have had to do it out of necessity a few times due to having cheap trap guns with me. Hopefully this stainless Single Six I got last year holds up as well as I am expecting it to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes I want to stand back farther than birdshot allows.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger lcr 22 that rides around in the front pocket of my bibs. Has accounted for a few dozen wolves, bunch of yotes, grouse, and whatever else I don't use a pole on. Hard to beat it for ease of carry and reliability. In the early season when the bears are still around I carry something heavier.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Savage Rascal

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NMiller
I have a Ruger lcr 22 that rides around in the front pocket of my bibs. Has accounted for a few dozen wolves, bunch of yotes, grouse, and whatever else I don't use a pole on. Hard to beat it for ease of carry and reliability. In the early season when the bears are still around I carry something heavier.

LCR is near perfect in my mind.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used a S&W model 63 or my Browning Buckmark. Figured I bought em to use them. We only shoot the coons in the live traps. A 220 conibear takes the shot out of play. We gave up foothold traps years ago. Buddy will catch close to 800 coon in 10-14 days coming up here shortly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage youth single shot 22. Its prolly the rascal model dinny mentioned. Has the accu-trigger which is absolutely necessary for shots within 6’.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
While I won't argue with not caring about cosmetics on the trapline, the last thing I want is a cheap or unreliable gun that'll jam. I know of two Heritage Rough Riders that had the hammer cam worn off and wouldn't stay cocked. Due to the sloppy tolerances I have seen several other cheap revolvers ice up and jam that way, regardless of being degreased and dry lubed. Same with a Marlin 39 rifle when the extractor failed to work and I had a casing stuck in the chamber with a very lively wolverine in a foothold.

I am not much of a catch pole guy but have had to do it out of necessity a few times due to having cheap trap guns with me. Hopefully this stainless Single Six I got last year holds up as well as I am expecting it to.

Well, mine my screw up the next time I cock it, but if it does, I'll just go back to the truck and get another gun. After all, the target isn't going anywhere. grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never had any specific trapline guns, just used what I had and as I could drive right up to most sites it wasn’t an issue. 22 rifle, 12 gauge for game birds of opportunity and a 222 in case something pulled out and took off as I drove up.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M

I started out carrying a Marlin 39, it got heavy so at twelve years old I sold enough furs early in the season and convinced my father to take me to town so I could by a pistol. I chose a used Taurus 96 Target .22 LR revolver with 6" Barrel, he purchased with my fur $, probably the best shooting pistol I have ever owned! I then purchased a used Winchester 9422M (.22 Mag) for my sled/trapping gun in Alaska, couldn't argue about the dependability, abused it bad... I also utilized a Ruger Mach II Target .22, still the one I prefer and carry

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
H&R 929 9shooter that I bought with a missing grip and a bent screw for $40.00. Found a new set of grips on Gunbroker and got a screw from the hardware store. Good to go.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I, also, carry a H&R 929 with some wood grips I modified to fit.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Smith 63, Ruger Single-Six, Smith 317 are the first that come to mind...probably have used others as well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Ruger Mark II .22 6" works well

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I always carried a 22 revolver to start. But a few times I had opportunities at animals that weren't in my traps. So I started carrying a 22 Rifle. The one I had was a BL22. I kept it loaded with short solids.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
Ruger Mark II .22 6" works well

Do you carry your Ruger MKII in a holster or just in the backpack?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the handguns mentioned when I ran lines out of a canoe I had a single shot shotgun,12ga cut to 18 1/2 in to pot a duck or goose but mostly the barrel was loose in the bottom of the canoe, and I used it to bonk critters in the trap on the head. Never shot any fur with it. Broken down it fit in a backpack nicely for travel, held off a bear once with it while my wife packed our gear in the canoe to leave the sight to the bear, threatened a couple of would be robbers into thinking taking my stuff wasn't that smart of a decision and they left quietly. For some reason Manitoba and I weren't a good fit.

Last edited by erich; 12/28/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 3 digit Ruger Bearcat that is my do everything small handgun........

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
458 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.