24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to differ to the above comments at least in respect to my own state- 357 and 44 mag carbine quite popular in QLD, 44-40 not uncommon too. Lots of use in open forest, grassland, woodland and rainforest( of course). If you check gun classifieds there are always plenty going for sale. Some are cowboy action guns but a lot the seller specifies prior hunting use. Plenty of brands of hunting ammo for 357 and 44mag on shelves too, not an indication of obscure calibres.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Pistol cartridge carbines are fun guns for pigging in swamps, not for hunting on most places.

A 9mm carbine has to be a sub-machine gun to come close to being useful, but not anyway that I know for sure. I've used 357mag out of a rifle on kangaroos and it's totally effective out to at least 70m, as far as I've shot them anyway. I was amazed it worked as well as it did. Hornady XTPs are brilliant.

'

I shoot XTP's to 125 yards, they are good killers yep. A 357 in a 1894 or even better modern 1892 repro( which are as strong as some bolt actions) can push 158gn bullets towards 2100fps.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Thanks for the info. I was just curious as a guy who has little use for handguns, but loves handgun cartridge rifles. I've shot a few whitetail deer with a 44 Mag rifle in the past, and my go-to squirrel rifle the past couple years has been a Henry steel carbine shooting 32 S&W Longs.

I'm more of a plinker than hunter these days though, and I just love them for the negligible recoil and cheapness of reloading in comparison to most rifle cartridges these days.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Might have already been covered earlier but I think some landowners (farmers) may be allowed to carry and use handguns, but I've never seen it. I would think however that a 22 rifle at least would be found in most farm vehicles, but then again I've never asked.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
“Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose”…JJ

I thought Kris Christopherson wrote that in ' Me and Bobby Mcgee'

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have that arse backwards in terms of quality of life. The US is slightly ahead of China (Australia ranking of 6, USA ranking of 20, China ranking of 23, according to US News. Other organizations have lists with similar results):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/standard-of-living-by-country

Careful with studies. Note the things that make up "quality of life" by their metrics.

- Purchasing Power (including rent)
- Safety
- Health Care
- Cost of Living
- Property Price to Income Ratio
- Traffic Commute Time
- Pollution
- Climate

For the safety metric the US is #3 behind China and India - https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/safest-countries-in-the-world (lots of odd info there but page down to the bottom of first section

And even that is kinda crap give their weighting criteria.

There are 23 different indicators used to determine how safe or how dangerous a country is. These factors are broken into these categories:

- Ongoing International and Domestic Conflict
- Societal Safety and Security
- Militarization

The factors used to compile this report include:

-Number of internal and external violent conflicts
-Level of distrust
-Political instability
-Potential for terrorist acts
-Number of homicides
-Military expenditures as a percentage of GDP

I think I'll stick with the US the way it is. Although, happy to visit Australia too. I'll try and buy everyone enough quality Australian craft beers to keep both natives and us tourists happy. grin I'll accept that the amount may be quite a lot.

Last edited by Pugs; 12/14/21. Reason: fix link

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Pistol cartridge carbines are fun guns for pigging in swamps, not for hunting on most places.

A 9mm carbine has to be a sub-machine gun to come close to being useful, but not anyway that I know for sure. I've used 357mag out of a rifle on kangaroos and it's totally effective out to at least 70m, as far as I've shot them anyway. I was amazed it worked as well as it did. Hornady XTPs are brilliant.

Interesting. The 9mm kills deer here quite well. Dont' run far. Works almost as good on deer and pigs as our 10mm does. Of course deer and pigs are not hard to kill. I've bio clue how hard your kangaroos are to kill

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by rost495

Interesting. The 9mm kills deer here quite well. Dont' run far. Works almost as good on deer and pigs as our 10mm does. Of course deer and pigs are not hard to kill. I've bio clue how hard your kangaroos are to kill

Oddly, there are two places in the world where you cannot kill Kangaroos - Australia and France. (there is a small wild population of Wallabies in a forest in France which cannot be hunted because they are not on the list of approved game species).

In New Zealand, hunting wallabies is encouraged. They are an introduced pest.

Most hunting in Australia is Rabbits, Foxes, Pigs, Deer (6 different species), wild Cattle, Donkeys, Horses and Dogs, Asiatic Buffalo, Camels, and the top is Banteng.

Of these, only the smaller game live in places where the shorter ranges of pistol calibre carbines (357/44 Mag and 45 Long Colt/454 Cassull mainly) are both useful and sufficiently powerful.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rabbits are scarce, decimated by calicivirus.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Oddly, there are two places in the world where you cannot kill Kangaroos - Australia and France.

You can shoot them in Australia but you need a permit. Permits are not that difficult to get since the roos are prolific breeders and numbers can become overwhelming at times. The sides of our interstate country highways are testament to the numbers - drive across the Nullabor and there seems to be a stinking roo corpse every 10 metres or so

I did not know that the French had them over there. I guess that they would be a relatively benign introduced species.

Well?
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rost495

Roos aren't that hard to kill. I haven't yet tried to shoot anything with the 9mm.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Rabbits are scarce, decimated by calicivirus.

That's a good thing but I do miss them because there were fun to hunt. The ones that are still around seem to be extra jittery.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pugs
For the safety metric the US is #3 behind China and India - https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/safest-countries-in-the-world (lots of odd info there but page down to the bottom of first section.

There is something amiss with the info in that section. A link to the Global Safety Index on that page shows a list of best to worst with Australia at 10th, China at 85th and USA at 117th.

Any sort of poll or analysis will always be subjective to some extent in regards to parameters defining quality of life and their associated weightings in the overall assessment.

Well?
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Someone mentioned donkey hunting... are feral donkeys a big problem there?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Feral cats are a problem.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
Someone mentioned donkey hunting... are feral donkeys a big problem there?

Not sure, haven't heard anything lately. Looks like they are somewhat in the remote regions. Most of the human population is on the east coast with relatively short travel to areas with pigs, foxes, cats, wild dogs etc so these are more commonly hunted. Camels were also a problem at one stage I thought but you'd have to be really keen, and well prepared, to visit the areas where they inhabit.

Check out the appendix in the attached report (it's 10 years old, so is out of date, but gives some sort of idea):

Pest Animals OzzieLand

Well?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
At last, some common sense. The OP asked some reasonable questions, and they require reasonable answers. Apart from gun laws we have a lot in common with the US. We shared a few wars for starters. I've been a hunter and shooter most of my adult life, I'm currently a qualified Range Officer, and did my time in our Army. You get good and bad in any country, and when you consider the US population is over 300 million against our roughly 25 million, then realise Australia is roughly the size of the Continental United States. Then a little perspective creeps in.
Sure we don't have school shootings and we can't go into a gun store and just walk out with anything we want. But that doesn't make us subservient to our Government. I have no reason whatever to carry a handgun, or for that matter a long arm in my car unless I'm on my way to someplace I can use it. Guns are tools just like chisels and saws. I bet more people get killed by cars and sharp chisels than they do with firearms.
Yes, we have crime here, that's a fact of life. We also have what have come to be known as "home invasions" that can be dealt with using whatever happens to be close handy, like the shovel I use to pick up my dog [bleep]. Nobody wants to get hit in the face with that.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That didn't stop the French from getting all bitter and twisted when we cancelled the sub deal!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a wanker… I have a pistol with me at all times. G20 in a 10mm in my center console. Now with that I been to a few countries South Korea for one I wandered Seoul with my buddy going places where average American soldiers didn’t go, not once did I feel like I need a firearm it was just a safe city. I’m sure one could find trouble. I’m sure Australia is the same, here in America seems we have a higher number of unhinged people. To the point I hate going to our local City of Anchorage, bunch of weird SOB’s wandering that whole city. If I lived in a country like Australia or Canada I would definitely have no need for a pistol.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Most hunting in Australia is Rabbits, Foxes, Pigs, Deer (6 different species), wild Cattle, Donkeys, Horses and Dogs, Asiatic Buffalo, Camels, and the top is Banteng.

Of these, only the smaller game live in places where the shorter ranges of pistol calibre carbines (357/44 Mag and 45 Long Colt/454 Cassull mainly) are both useful and sufficiently powerful.

Horses, donkeys, wild cattle and several deer species can all be found in woodland or close bush as well. Of those horses, deer and donkeys are doable for a stoked 44 mag or 45 colt with the right bullets. 44-40 high power loads as well.

To the other fellas question, donkeys arent a major problem . Not sure of their range but they are shot quite a bit in my state. They are considered tougher animals than horses too.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.