Campfire Outfitter
B
Over 60, dang racing hillclimers

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I' ll say it if no one else will. You need to lose weight but you also right now need to eat the right things to help you heal. Forget the duck hunting this season your allready stressing those broke ribs by being over weight. Stay at home rest and whatever exercise the MD tells you. Stay away from people the last thing you need with 8 broke ribs is some funny asshile trying to make you laugh or some broke dick sob giving you covid. You want to go into recovery mode rfn you need to get through this and heal fast as you can without any prolonging it by unneeded physical activity. Your lucky you ain't dead don't bring that on..

Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Guess it depends on we’re they’re popped at , mine was directly on my side , only three , couldn’t imagine eight .
Anyway , had to sleep flat on my back , getting up and down was a muther. Wife has back problems and I knew it would be just a matter of time till she hurt herself trying to help me up and down .
Had some rope about 3/4” in diameter , something I could get a good grip on .
Tied one end to a bed post at the foot of the bed and used it to pull myself up and down .
It was a bitch , but after a few weeks it got were zi could do it without the rope .
As said , don’t be foolish , take your meds and rest . Also don’t forget you are medicated and move with that in mind .
Start taking a stool softener now , everyday .
Went down that road of costipation , once bowels get locked up it’s a muther to undo .
Had Covid at the time and coughing up phlegm wasn’t fun , then the added pain of bowels , take stool softener , I know Zi already said that , but it is important.
Kenneth

Edited to say , I feel your pain , missed the first week and half of bow season , luckily I was on the uphill side of moving around . Meds are your friend , don’t sweat the addiction crap , you won’t get addicted by a 6-8 week stretch , espeacially if your like me , I didn’t like the buzz , but liked the pain even less .

Last edited by Kenneth66; 12/16/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your 33 yrs old so you have that going for you OP. I’ve broken ribs twice but never eight of them. Once in a car accident and once in a bar fight… along long time ago. Broken ribs suck. It hurts to cough and I slept in a chair for a few weeks but I recovered fairly fast both times. Probably three weeks or so and I was mostly back to what I could do before. Eight of them busted sounds like a whole different situation and no idea what the recovery time will be but it’s probably sooner than what you think when you’re hurting to stand up. Once you can stand up without much pain it seemed to get better in a hurry from there.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Six weeks or until the doctor says. If you rush it, you'll be sorry. Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Broken sternum took 4 months to feel ok a few years ago.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most bones 6 weeks to 2 months - the Dr's say'

BS - the 6 week comment is just to keep up your morale. 2 months seems to be the norm for me (very experienced smile )

Neighbor lady (late 60's) was in a horse wreck ~ 2 months ago - horse fell with her. She broke her collarbone in 2 places, 11 ribs, and her pelvis.
She attended graduation at NMMI a week ago, and was getting along pretty well - mostly healed.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was in a nasty wreck on January 2, 2020. Doc said I'd fractures my sternum in four places, bruised both lungs and my heart. I'm thinking that bruise on my ticker is what eventually brought on my heart attack at the end of last February. Doc gave me a 6 day supply of Percocet and there's still 4.5 days left in the bottle. Lived on Tylenol the rest of the two months, give or take a day or two before I was close to feeling human. Trying to sleep wasn't fun. Lying on my back made breathing difficult but after about a week I was able to sleep better on my right side.
Funny thing about the whole mess is I'd made it to 81 years and change before ever breaking a bone.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I' ll say it if no one else will. You need to lose weight but you also right now need to eat the right things to help you heal. Forget the duck hunting this season your allready stressing those broke ribs by being over weight. Stay at home rest and whatever exercise the MD tells you. Stay away from people the last thing you need with 8 broke ribs is some funny asshile trying to make you laugh or some broke dick sob giving you covid. You want to go into recovery mode rfn you need to get through this and heal fast as you can without any prolonging it by unneeded physical activity. Your lucky you ain't dead don't bring that on..

Mb

This post is almost 2 months old at this point.
30 pounds might have been a little exaggerated. I’m pretty active and I’m 95% recovered at this point. Only really notice anything if I roll over wrong in bed, or I try and pick up something with an extended arm.

I’ve since shot pheasants, split wood, spent time on a punching bag, and I’ve ran a backpack leaf blower at work for a few hours at a time. I can’t complain and I know everyone is different but sitting on a couch and waiting this out would
have drove me mad. Pushing through the pain helped me
A lot.

Guys saying 6 weeks were pretty much spot on. That’s when I was able to do most activity pain free within reason.

Last edited by Hypocrite; 12/19/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Mb

Don’t be so dramatic. I’m a [bleep] hair under 6 feet tall and a little over 200 pounds. Not a lard ass and I’m pretty active always have been. I’m 95% recovered at this point. Only really notice anything if I roll over wrong in bed, or I try and pick up something with an extended arm.

I was drinking at a bar within about 10 days of the accident and I was up walking and making homemade pizza within a week of the accident. I stopped taking all pain meds within that 10 day mark too.

I’ve since shot pheasants, split wood, spent time on a punching bag, and I’ve ran a backpack leaf blower at work for a few hours at a time.

It makes sense you’d worry about covid.

Guys saying 6 weeks were pretty much spot on. That’s when I was able to do most activity pain free within reason.

Nothing like a mental midget that goes drinking in a bar and forgets it was himself that said he was overweight, then criticizes the person that gave counsel on your condition. You will be lucky to ever reach 45 years old.

Originally Posted by Hypocrite
I was in a car accident Saturday night, broke 8 ribs, and bruised one kidney.

I’m 33 years old probably 30 pounds over weight and at this point I can’t sit up without help.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was in a car crash 8 years ago. Crushed left side ribs, collapsed left lung, ruptured spleen & broken collar bone.
Lasted in hospital 11 days. 14 days post crash I was digging post holes, and putting trusses on my shop. 1 armed of course. It hurt like hell but the fastest way to recover is too work through the pain. The ribs hurt for about 4 weeks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by MPat70
Was in a car crash 8 years ago. Crushed left side ribs, collapsed left lung, ruptured spleen & broken collar bone.
Lasted in hospital 11 days. 14 days post crash I was digging post holes, and putting trusses on my shop. 1 armed of course. It hurt like hell but the fastest way to recover is too work through the pain. The ribs hurt for about 4 weeks.

This post is almost 2 months old but you’re absolutely correct.

The more pain I pushed through the better I felt the next day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was 24 I cracked two ribs at a rodeo. I was stupid and thought I was tough so I cowboyed up and rode again the next next night. That one second cost me the rest of the season. LET YOURSELF HEAL!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.