Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16736896 12/18/21
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv always kinda wanted one of these, I know some likem, others don't. LGS got one in says used but don't look fired. Think they asking $849.00 is that about right,? The bad is I don't have any ammo for one!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
No thoughts good or bad on these?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great revolvers and a great snake gun with the .410 shells.
I use # 9 shot skeet loads in mine for snakes and 45 Colt for hogs.
That price is about what a new one used to retail for when they first became available.
I haven’t priced them in today’s gun crazy market, though.
You can also shoot 45 acp ammo with moon clips. And you can also fire 45 GAP ammo in them too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds a bit high in price, check around.

$750 -8 seems more on the mark. I'd shop my ass off & find one for $700.

45 ACP , 45 Colt, or 410 . Surely could find one of 3. But my use would be snake gun & 2.5" fine shot 410's are hard to find & through the roof in price.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Sounds a bit high in price, check around.

$750 -8 seems more on the mark. I'd shop my ass off & find one for $700.

45 ACP , 45 Colt, or 410 . Surely could find one of 3. But my use would be snake gun & 2.5" fine shot 410's are hard to find & through the roof in price.

Yep. I think I paid $750 for mine brand new when they first come out.

Like I mentioned before, you can also shoot .45 GAP ammo in them. Of course, some here may not know what that is, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/18/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ole EthanEdwards on here, who recently passed away, was a big fan of the S&W Governor. Had a few great conversations with him about them. I miss his posts. He was a good guy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saddlering

Lol. You should check out the S&W forum for “thoughts good and bad” on them. Funny. End of the day it’s just a gun, and it either serves your purposes or does not. Never seen people get so overly opinionated on such a stupid topic as these. Myself? I have shot my pal’s Gov a bit and found it kinda interesting and ‘versatile’, albeit ugly as sin and oddly unwieldy. But to each their own. I don’t think that price sounds bad at all in this market. And was likely the MSRP when introduced.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes I also miss his posts too! I had a Judge at one time it was ok. I do like the fact that you can use different 45 ammo in them plus the 410 shells. The one I handled seemed smaller then a judge, felt good in my hand. I know they would come down some on it, iv not seen any to know what there going for. Is S&W still making them? Thanks for the input guys!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes I also miss his posts too! I had a Judge at one time it was ok. I do like the fact that you can use different 45 ammo in them plus the 410 shells. The one I handled seemed smaller then a judge, felt good in my hand. I know they would come down some on it, iv not seen any to know what there going for. Is S&W still making them? Thanks for the input guys!

I had a Judge before, also. I gave it to one of my nephews when I got my Governor.
The Governor is a much better Revolver in all respects, IMO.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing the Gov & Judge seem to have done is shift attention into the development of defensive .410 loads. All kinds of crazy shcitt now available in that, if you hadn’t been looking. Discs. 00’s. Combos. Some of it would appear to be very mean stuff, but I’m not well versed in much of it. Still, it was all made to fit a demand and niche which must then be present.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
a rural cousin’s first handgun was a similar taurus judge. he is a big guy and mostly conceal carries it everywhere, including church, loaded with 45lc. he likes it alot. i have a bond arms derringer with several barrels, 410 is neither my least nor most favorite round.

my suggestion is to get a ruger blackhawk convertible single action revolver in 45lc/acp, which i also have. it’s built like a brick outhouse so used ones are generally good price/condition values. for most uses 45acp works well at a lower cost to practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

Lol. You should check out the S&W forum for “thoughts good and bad” on them. Funny. End of the day it’s just a gun, and it either serves your purposes or does not. Never seen people get so overly opinionated on such a stupid topic as these. Myself? I have shot my pal’s Gov a bit and found it kinda interesting and ‘versatile’, albeit ugly as sin and oddly unwieldy. But to each their own. I don’t think that price sounds bad at all in this market. And was likely the MSRP when introduced.

If I spent much time where I was going to find a lot of venomous snakes,
I would buy one. Actually seek one out.

Otherwise, my impression is very negative.
Not to say it's junk. I reserve that for things that dont work or break.
Just that other things appeal more, and it's not even attractive.

And as a defensive round, there's is a lot of noise, smoke, and mirrors.
Not too much else. Never forget, ammo companies are not in the
business of providing you with great products. They are in business to
sell products. Some products are great. Some, made to sell.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/19/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Our Gov is the most carried revolver on our property. It is snake medicine extraordinary. Both the wife and I have a serious hate for water snakes and they can pop up anytime along the edges of our lake. Am guessing it would work equally as well on mean stray dogs if it ever came to that. Happy to admit I paid $599 at Buds about 6 years ago.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I handled one at the local gun store a year or two ago, and was very impressed with the feel of quality. I was tempted, but ultimately couldn't think of a legitimate role for it in my particular case, although if you live on a farm, I'd think they'd be quite useful.

I buy a lot of guns for cool factor alone (despite not being able to think up legitimate roles for them), but those are usually some sort of classic, either real or reproduction.

PS I thought the shallow rifling it them was cool feature, because it's designed to be adequate for stabilizing bullets, but at the same time, it shouldn't disrupt shot patterns as badly as standard handgun rifling.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

If I spent much time where I was going to find a lot of venomous snakes,
I would buy one. Actually seek one out.

Otherwise, my impression is very negative.
Not to say it's junk. I reserve that for things that dont work or break.
Just that other things appeal more, and it's not even attractive.

And as a defensive round, there's is a lot of noise, smoke, and mirrors.
Not too much else. Never forget, ammo companies are not in the
business of providing you with great products. They are in business to
sell products. Some products are great. Some, made to sell.

^^^^^^Nailed it^^^^^^^

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been using one for several years and it's well made. It has decent accuracy with 45 ACP but I haven't tested it for groups....that really isn't what I got it for. I've never shot 45 LC in it. I've put a lot of .410 shot shells through it. It's killed several copperheads and rattlesnakes, but mainly it's for rats while I'm bushhogging. It makes me look forward to bushhogging.....it's a pasture safari!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've been using one for several years and it's well made. It has decent accuracy with 45 ACP but I haven't tested it for groups....that really isn't what I got it for. I've never shot 45 LC in it. I've put a lot of .410 shot shells through it. It's killed several copperheads and rattlesnakes, but mainly it's for rats while I'm bushhogging. It makes me look forward to bushhogging.....it's a pasture safari!

LOL. Sounds like a blast.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I may go back about Tuesday or Wednesday and look at it better, see what the bottom price would be. Looking at what I may have to trade for it also. Will they shoot the 3" 410 shells????

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. They won’t shoot the 3” 410 shells.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
No. They won’t shoot the 3” 410 shells.

I think The Taurus Judge does. But the quality on those is hit or miss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
365 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.