Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Not sure this is the right forum but I have a question.
If u go to buy a firearm and do the background and get delayed but in a few days your approved but u changed your mind on the gun. U no longer want it that doesn’t do anything etc…. Like if u go to buy another firearm etc….. they would just do the background check again right?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am pretty sure you will get checked again. It depends on your laws too. In MT if you have a CCW you just show that and no check is done.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have no problem getting checked again. Just changed my mind on the firearm I want and wanna make sure there is nothing done etc…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are going to do a background check everytime regardless

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Axelrod59
They are going to do a background check everytime regardless

No true. In some states, like TX, there is no background check if you have a LTC or CHL.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few months ago I picked up a shipped rifle from FFL and my background check come back right away. Before I left I bought another and he told me it could go on the same background check.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Background checks aren't for a certain firearm, just for a certain type of firearm (handgun, long gun, other). We've had buyers change their mind. The dealer just lines out and initials the original info and writes in the new description. The only thing that can't be changed is the "number" of firearms sold. That's why you have to write out the number (i.e. "one", "two", etc).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
No true. In some states, like TX, there is no background check if you have a LTC or CHL.

Interesting. Learn something new every day I guess. In Oregon you go through the background check but if you have a CHL you start very very near the front of the line. When I was making my last purchase the guy in the line next to me did not have a CHL. He was told he was 4700th or something like that and they'd call him in a couple weeks to come get his gun. I went straight to 2nd in line and was out the door with my new gun .. even with Sportsman's Warehouse's very onerous paperwork check, double-check, triple-check, then manager-check process .. in about 40 minutes. I don't like waiting 40 minutes but there's worse places to do it than at a gun counter and, truly, though infrequent I've been in line longer than that to check out with groceries.

I can't see any reason anyone who could get a CHL would not do so. A buddy from work got his a couple weeks ago. I told him it would probably take about 45 days, that's what it took me 20-odd years ago. Heck no. The delay was only a couple days for processing before handing him his shiny new card. .. and that's Oregon, among the bluest of blue states. Why anyone from a more conservative state wouldn't have a CHL is beyond my understanding.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Some state make you pay a lot to get that card. you have to pay for classes, ranges, ammo, fees for filing to get the license. It can add up to thousands of dollars. You should never be charge for something that is your right to own and buy. In SD, you just fill out a standard background check, pay $15, and they give you a temporary card that day until yours comes in the mail.

If you can pas a NICS check, you should be able to conceal carry with no other restrictions. Not sure if Alaska has changed, but being eligible to own a gun is your permit to carry.

But a far as doing a new background check, its a mix of the store policy and law. the store may have a policy where they want a backgound check for every firearm.

Another note, as this happened to me once. The guy submitting the form put a wrong detail on it and called it in and it got delayed. I asked if he could just call them back and tell them the correct info and apparently you can't do that. Once it's been submitted, you just have to wait the 5 days or whatever and comeback to pick up your firearm.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In Pa the actually background check is just that. What firearm it is for is all on the paperwork, so in Pa your local shop could change the paperwork or fill out a new one using the same approval number.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Interesting. Learn something new every day I guess. In Oregon you go through the background check but if you have a CHL you start very very near the front of the line. When I was making my last purchase the guy in the line next to me did not have a CHL. He was told he was 4700th or something like that and they'd call him in a couple weeks to come get his gun. I went straight to 2nd in line and was out the door with my new gun .. even with Sportsman's Warehouse's very onerous paperwork check, double-check, triple-check, then manager-check process .. in about 40 minutes. I don't like waiting 40 minutes but there's worse places to do it than at a gun counter and, truly, though infrequent I've been in line longer than that to check out with groceries.

I can't see any reason anyone who could get a CHL would not do so. A buddy from work got his a couple weeks ago. I told him it would probably take about 45 days, that's what it took me 20-odd years ago. Heck no. The delay was only a couple days for processing before handing him his shiny new card. .. and that's Oregon, among the bluest of blue states. Why anyone from a more conservative state wouldn't have a CHL is beyond my understanding.

Tom

It was like that a year and a half ago in Oregon, but not anymore. Now CHL holders have to wait just like everyone else there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
here in Missouri anyway if you get delayed then they call you back you have I believe it's 30 days to go pick up that particular firearm listed on the form. if you don't go pick it up within 30 days or you want a different firearm than that listed on that particular form they will do another background check. CCW in Missouri as it's called has no effect on this. Personally I wish it would be like some states in a CCW you wouldn't even fill out the form.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ldholton
here in Missouri anyway if you get delayed then they call you back you have I believe it's 30 days to go pick up that particular firearm listed on the form. if you don't go pick it up within 30 days or you want a different firearm than that listed on that particular form they will do another background check. CCW in Missouri as it's called has no effect on this. Personally I wish it would be like some states in a CCW you wouldn't even fill out the form.
Every FFL in every state is required to have the buyer fill out the 4473 form regardless of background check laws, it is federal law.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
Some state make you pay a lot to get that card. you have to pay for classes, ranges, ammo, fees for filing to get the license. It can add up to thousands of dollars. You should never be charge for something that is your right to own and buy. In SD, you just fill out a standard background check, pay $15, and they give you a temporary card that day until yours comes in the mail.

If you can pas a NICS check, you should be able to conceal carry with no other restrictions. Not sure if Alaska has changed, but being eligible to own a gun is your permit to carry.

But a far as doing a new background check, its a mix of the store policy and law. the store may have a policy where they want a backgound check for every firearm.

Another note, as this happened to me once. The guy submitting the form put a wrong detail on it and called it in and it got delayed. I asked if he could just call them back and tell them the correct info and apparently you can't do that. Once it's been submitted, you just have to wait the 5 days or whatever and comeback to pick up your firearm.

Lol, I can carry concealed in SD and 34 other states with my (not thousands) 135.00 all in CHP. Your 15 bucks only gets you to the state line.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In Nebraska you can purchase a handgun purchase permit from the county sheriff that is good for 3 years. The sheriff's department does the background check and mails the permit to you. The dealer uses the permit in lieu of a NICS check, so there is never any delay in making a retail purchase. Fill out the 4473 and pay for the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost the same here in Ohio. With a CCW permit you just fill out the paperwork and take the gun home. Though some dealers still call if they don’t know you.
I use to get delayed every time before I got a CCW. I got a DUI back in the day and the Sheriff/court put in in the federal database and it always throws up a flag. I found this out when I went to a neighboring county Sheriff’s department to renew my CCW and they told me what the other sheriff’s department had did.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Pennsylvania

You get checked on every purchase. You pay for each check. So to the OP, you would have to pay for the check every time. You would pay for that check regardless if you took the gun or not.

The background check process includes info that goes to the Pennsylvania State Police and the NICs check. After the PSP complete their check, PA law requires that the PSP destroy your information in 72 hours:

PA Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Section 6111 Sale or transfer of firearms

".....and, further, an application/record of sale received by the Pennsylvania State Police pursuant to this subsection shall be destroyed within 72 hours of the completion of the criminal history, juvenile delinquency and mental health records background check."

PA has no registration of firearms. This is a fact so often misunderstood by the average person and the press. If I had a Nickle for every time someone asks "Is it registered in your name?".

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s always been my understanding that the feds only No if you purchased a handgun or a long gun after the background check. Ohio doesn’t know anything after the background check.
But I have read and watched a video or two where the feds went to FFL dealers and we’re taking illegal pictures of their 4473 forms. Anyone else read or see this?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It was like that a year and a half ago in Oregon, but not anymore. Now CHL holders have to wait just like everyone else there.

Sort of. Some percentage of people are still getting instant approval, CHL or not. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky ones. Quite a few posts over on i*fish by people who have gone straight through though.

I hadn't had any delay in probably 15, maybe even 20 years, except for one day when the background check system was down 'til measure 114 came along. Since it passed I have not had instant approval yet. Like many others I'm trying to do a couple final purchases before the permit-to-purchase requirement goes into effect. "Instant" means 5-8 weeks for me so far. Fuuuuuuck. frown

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Every FFL in every state is required to have the buyer fill out the 4473 form regardless of background check laws, it is federal law.

Exactly right- it's in U.S code

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
201 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.