Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Our lab tore her ACL yesterday (4.5 years, spayed). No contact, fall, etc., it just popped as she took off running, and she yelped/pulled up lame. TPLO surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.

Our vet was very informative about surgery options, and I’m sure we’ll have more to discuss in terms of the restrictions, rehab timeline, and exercises. Wondering what tips/advice y’all might have for the next few months during recovery?

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dang. I’m sorry to hear of this. I’m interested in the procedure and rehab time as well. Seems like Labs get more than their fair share of this.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had it happen to a Springer....Vet said if the Dog is active it most likely will happen again. Didn't do anything and he lived to 12 and hunted hard up until the end. Developed a calcification around the area, but he still went hard. I'd get a second opinion re an active Dog. One persons experience.

Last edited by battue; 12/20/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Be diligent with the dogs exercises post op. Getting them moving takes a lot of time , but it pays off big in the recovery.

My vet also said to expect re-injury or the other side to tear but Ted lived 12 years 10 months and 15 days w/o re-injury or tearing the other one.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you Battue. We did reach out to a couple different vets, ones that we had used living elsewhere. They, and our current vet, acknowledged smaller breeds may not see the same advantages as larger breeds.

Thanks Jeff. We were told the same about reinjury and the opposite leg (around 50% of dogs will experience). Glad to hear Ted lived a full, healthy life.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hope you have the best of results!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wilkes, the surgery is intriguing. They will not repair the ligament, but rather, change the geometry of the knee by cutting and repositioning the dog’s shin bone. That shift in geometry makes the knee inherently stable, even without the ligament. Will update as we experience more about the rehab.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Expect that you will do the same surgery and rehab again for the other leg.

P
PWN Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Had the same thing happen to my first lab. Right back leg. He was 5 years old. Took his recovery slow until he could bear his weight. Then did not allow him to run for months, but took him swimming everyday for about 6 months. He healed great and was in the best shape of his life that Fall. He live another 7 years and never had a single issue with that leg even when he got old and slow.

Swim, Swim, Swim and swim some more for his rehab. Do rush the rehab until he can support himself without favoring the leg. Don't forget to swim him everyday.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
RE: Battue's comment. We were family friends with our vet. He had my brother kennel one of his dogs for an extended period of time, rather than perform surgery on a torn ACL. I think it healed up and returned to normal. FYI

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
How’s the recovery? Ours had same surgery on 12/28/21. To early to tell here, but fingers are crossed.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
my older Springer, same thing, I just happened to have been furloughed from work at that time and took both of them swimming everyday, his recovery was remarkable, it was definitely the swimming, saved thousands in bet bills

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Farming, sorry to hear that. Hopefully by now yours is moving around well. Royalwulff, glad to hear your dogs (and wallet) are making it through okay.

The recovery has been difficult, but perhaps not in the way you might expect. Much of the struggle is keeping Karma from pushing herself too much. And, that’s been the crux of rehab since about week 4. Dogs don’t have pain thresholds like us babies, they are much tougher. Cold temps and swimming have helped much, and surely the same would be true during the summer - the water is the key, cold temps are just a bonus to keep swelling down.

The recovery has not been without setbacks. The vet sent us home with a “lick sleeve” to help keep the incision clean. Thanks man. The dog ate said lick sleeve, which resulted in an intestinal blockage and another surgery. Karma also has “pivot shift”, which is a known complication of TPLO surgery. Per discussion with the surgeon and vet, this may be resolve itself as muscle regrows. Maybe not. More to come on this.

This biggest takeaways for me at this point are to progress cautiously after the surgery, find water if you can, maintain a reasonable weight, and be mindful of how your dog reacts to progression in exercise. The tough part is that it doesn’t seem like she’ll be back to 100%, maybe 80-90% is a realistic expectation even for a young dog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cburns17
Our lab tore her ACL yesterday (4.5 years, spayed). No contact, fall, etc., it just popped as she took off running, and she yelped/pulled up lame. TPLO surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.

Our vet was very informative about surgery options, and I’m sure we’ll have more to discuss in terms of the restrictions, rehab timeline, and exercises. Wondering what tips/advice y’all might have for the next few months during recovery?

Good luck. X2 on the water Have any water near by> Id suggested get him swimming when the Vet oks some exercise. The toughest thing is preventing a rein jury. Id suggest kenneling him for awhile after surgery to help if the dog s too active to help prevent re injury

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Farming
How’s the recovery? Ours had same surgery on 12/28/21. To early to tell here, but fingers are crossed.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

good luck

H
H
I hope dog is doing well. One of my females has had bilateral TPLO surgery. As stated, rehab was horrible. Keeping her crated and leashed walks was not as easy as it sounds. She tried to push herself immediately. Swimming was a nice way to low impact exercise her. It’s been two years since her first TPLO. The orthopedic vet did have to perform another surgery after about a year on her first leg and removed meniscus. He also done a cross lateral suture technique for added support. She is not 100% and never will be. She has a little post legged gait. I would say she’s probably 80-85%. She’s able to hunt but I do not try to push her.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.