Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m adding some leather Protektor bags to my shooting bench - casual hunting sight-in or informal match most likely use I have lighter weight bags for PRS.

What besides toy sand is recommended, ideally to be fairly to very accurate shooting out to 500 yards off a reasonably steady bench?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
black heavy sand you have to buy from a bench rest site works best

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Salt water aquarium sand. Fine grain with a good mass. Cheaper than the specialty BR sand sold online.

Buy the salty fish sand at local pet shop.

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
uncooked rice, bag moves very easy with just a slight squeeze of the hand yet has good weight.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavy Sand is the best.

A close second is the black blasting media....Menards, etc has it.

Good shootin'. - Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^Not being argumentative, because I honestly don't know....but didn't some pretty famous benchrester, Skip Gordon or somebody back in the day, say 1 of the ten commandments of bench shooting technique was, "be not a rear bag puffer" ???

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Heavy Sand is the best.

A close second is the black blasting media....Menards, etc has it.

Good shootin'. - Al

I use a mixture of sand and old tumbling media. Works great. I've tried straight kitty litter too, it works, but seems to be too light for my needs. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
.....didn't some pretty famous benchrester, Skip Gordon or somebody back in the day, say 1 of the ten commandments of bench shooting technique was, "be not a rear bag puffer" ???

You're correct. A rear bag that acts like a sack of marshmallows is not what you want for accuracy, precision or repeatability. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Takin' that a step further Mr Nyhus...I'm well over my head here admittedly... there is sand, and then there is sand (in the construction business anyway). If I lay a layer of sand or gravel with the end goal of leveling and supporting a load, I need to use a crushed product, which has geometric facets which lock together. If I use washed rock product then the rounded relatively smooth surfaces act as ball bearings....my stability and compaction are shot to hell. Can we apply this to bag filling material? Are we overthinking it? I don't think there is any worse material than 25# bags of lead shot on the bench is there? Yeah, probably overthinking it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.....didn't some pretty famous benchrester, Skip Gordon or somebody back in the day, say 1 of the ten commandments of bench shooting technique was, "be not a rear bag puffer" ???

You're correct. A rear bag that acts like a sack of marshmallows is not what you want for accuracy, precision or repeatability. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Like shooting off of a bean bag.. Ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did mine with sand and #9 lead shot mix. Not saying it is the best but it has served me well

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A well done comparison of different rear bag fillers:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/bag-sand-comparison-test/

Takin' that a step further Mr Nyhus...I'm well over my head here admittedly... there is sand, and then there is sand (in the construction business anyway). If I lay a layer of sand or gravel with the end goal of leveling and supporting a load, I need to use a crushed product, which has geometric facets which lock together. If I use washed rock product then the rounded relatively smooth surfaces act as ball bearings....my stability and compaction are shot to hell. Can we apply this to bag filling material? Are we overthinking it? I don't think there is any worse material than 25# bags of lead shot on the bench is there? Yeah, probably overthinking it.

You're exactly right. The black blasting media is slag from casting processes and as such, has a lot of jagged edges that lock together to stabilize the volume of material in a bag.

The problem with that in registered Benchrest competition is that metallic materials are not permitted as bag fillers. Other than that use, the black blasting media is an excellent filler.

There might be something to different fillers in the bag bottom and the ears.... wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input. First bag showed up pre-filled so the other 2 will give me some comparison vs what protektor uses normally. I’ve experimented with lighter fills for portable bags & they just aren’t great particularly for inexperienced shooters who struggle to hold rifles steady or for really precise shooting.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Specneeds: Whenever I am getting low on "sandbag sand" on my next trip west bound on I-90 near the small town of Vantage, Washington I take to the time to turn south of the interstate on the east side of the Columbia River.
I travel about a mile south and the sand dunes created by the Columbia River and the wind are right alongside the road.
The sand here is the "best" I have ever found for filling sandbags of all types!
I fill a cooler with the sand and it lasts me and my friends for 4 or 5 years
This sand is VERY fine and rather heavy - not quite as heavy as the "specialty heavy sand" used by bench resters - but maybe 85% - 90% so.
And this wonderful sand is free - I have been using it for many decades!
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shoot Protektor bags filled as they come from Protektor.. I do not like a heavy and stiff front bag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My rear bag is presently filled with heavy sand. But I’ve tried 71/2 lead shot and blasting sand. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I shoot Protektor bags filled as they come from Protektor.. I do not like a heavy and stiff front bag.

I don't either. You might as well be laying your rifle on a fn rock. That heavy sand is bs for the birds. I like my rifles to nestle and settle into the bag, so I use a filler that allows that, yet still has weight to it. A mix of sand and even tumbling media or kitty litter works just fine and is not going to be hard as a rock. To each their own, but that's what I like. When your rifle settles in
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
....and the bags create a good resting place your groups will shrink. A lot of this chidt isn't rocket science. Just find what works for you and go with it... I used that picture above because it is the last time i was at the range (just a few days ago). I was flinging some bullets downrange to test bullet stability, not necessarily shoot for group size. That is my cheapest rifle I own, a stevens 200 chambered in 22-250. With the set-up shown. Cheap azzed Hoppes front rest with protector bag filled as I outlined, it shoots sub moa 10 shot groups.
Another great misconception is that your front rest has to weigh as much as your 1/2 ton truck axle. It doesn't. The Hoppes shown above is made from cast aluminum and is not that heavy, yet it gets the job done. The Wichita Arms front rest in the background is heavy, but I use that one for other rifles with wider forends. Front bag size is very important when it comes to shooting good groups. More so than the weight of the front rest IMHO. That rifle shown above is also very lightweight. If that rifle can shoot like this in the set up I have shown, a heavy rifle does much better. The key is the bags need to grip the rifle, which reduces wiggle and increases stability, which increases shot to shot consistency/precison..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good shootin' -Al

Exactly. Might as well be shooting off of a bean bag..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If you want heavy then sand all day

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I settled on that sand used in reptile aquariums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.