Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well the time has come to place my order for the NULA 284win that I’ve been dreaming about. I need your input - what barrel contour should I go with? Options are #1 and #2 contour.

Also, do you recommend any other upgrades?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have rifles with both and i like them both...
22 inch for a #1
24 inch for a #2
how long do you want the barrel

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d go stainless on the barrel.
👍

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
#2.
Makes for better balance, and "hangs" better for offhand shooting.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have both, a #1 in .243 Win and two #2, a 7mm-08 and a 300WSM. If I HAD to choose, it'd be a #2 but I just love that little #1 on the .243

Good luck....

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Well the time has come to place my order for the NULA 284win that I’ve been dreaming about. I need your input - what barrel contour should I go with? Options are #1 and #2 contour.

Also, do you recommend any other upgrades?

Thanks in advance.

Funny you mention that.

I have about 100 pieces new brass (no not for sale) and no rifle. Been considering a .284 Win build.

Calling Melvin may be the solution.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Does Melvin offer a 3 position safety which locks down the bolt?

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
22 or 23” stainless #2 would be my suggestion. I currently have a 1, 2 and 3 on NULAs with the #1 being my less favorite.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It depends on your planned usage. If sitting in a deer stand is where the rifle will be most used, then go with a 24" #2 barrel. If this is going to be a sheep rifle, go with the 22" #1.

I would go with a stainless barrel. Also, really give some thought to what paint scheme you want. I got a green granite-like paint that I'm still very pleased with after 20+ years and it has been extremely durable.

When ordered mine, Melvin was intensely pro-Leupold. I was, and still am, pro-Swarovski. Go with your choice of scope, not his.

RS

By the way, what is the quoted wait time?

Last edited by RipSnort; 12/20/21.
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Two position, three function safety that locks the bolt. It works well

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by ejo

👍

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ejo

👍

If you are in Queensbury NY pm me since I’m about 20 mins from you for the next couple weeks. I have a 257 Robert’s with a #2 here but it’s a lefty. You are welcome to check it out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd slow your roll and Start At The Fhuqking Start,if only because such things will reliably connect more dots,by literal default. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and due same,I'd hastily kick the 284Win notion to the curb,if only due case length alone. The shorter 7-08 case,will grant more opportunity for bullets,while allowing an extra round in the chamber. Win/win. Hint.

The S/S barrel nudge is an obvious conclusion,as is a S/S action. Back to the horse staying in front of the cart,I'd simply rebarrel a Fieldcraft to eek same(and have it back in a week or two,depending on weather). Better yet,I'd nab one chambered 7-08,because they are 8" RPM and will smooch/house a 180 ELD in OEM issued guise. (5) 8x40's atop the receiver for Optics retention,do not suck either. Hint.

I could give less than ZERO fhuqks about a safety. In fact,I put a Custom 280 together today,that doesn't even have one and that by CHOICE. Hint.

Nothing Reupold or Swaro could even begin to rate a serious thunk,but I actually shoot. Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the offer ejo.

I've had some trigger time behind a ULA before Melvin sold the company the first time.

That rifle was s 30-06 IIRC, as it has been s few years.

I've long considered one of Melvin's rifles in .300 Win Mag

Sakohunter has me thinking again.

Larry, reading a few of your old posts motivated me to pick up a Montana in 7 whizzum. It's at the LGS waiting on me to do the paperwork.

You still like the 180 ELDM in that rifle?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a LH Forbes in 7-08 22" #1 it balances great Had Melvin Rebarel a Forbes 06 to 280 AI #2 24" which is what he recommended. Of the 2 prefer the #1 in the 7-08 both balance well. The LW rifles settle and hold well off-hand Melvin knew what he was doing. I would call and listen to Melvin.

Had a couple of .284 Wins in a SA Rem 700 and Win 88 Mag length confines and long bullets, a lot happier with a 7mm 08

Bought both the Forbes because they were LH we don't have a lot of choices!

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/21/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My model 20 284 is a 22” #1 stainless. I use Peterson brass for reloading and it’s been impressive so far. I’m pretty sure a 708 and 284 hold 3 down in NULA but correct me if I’m wrong…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Montucky 7 Whizzum is still assuredly KING and a 180 ELD is tough to whoop,with a .796 BC at 2850-ish fps. Hint.

I've yet to see a 284 Win or 284 Win based round that holds (3) in the belly(I've multiple 6-284's,25-284's and 284's),not accept (4) 243,260,7-08 or 308's in said box...though I've only had multiples of all. 243AI,260AI and 7-08AI may preclude same in certain instances(generally a follower tab nip is The Cure),but not their SALAMI versions. Have lots of them too. Hint.

Coming full circle,to that which matters most (boolits),what would horn someone up in said platform(284 Win),regarding same? What would be THE 284 Win warm/fuzzy? In fairness,I've never seen or heard of Peterson brass. Is it good? Hint. LAUGHING!

The bane of the Model 24,is akin to that of a 84L and L/A Fieldcraft,in that COAL latitude is exceedingly trite. Doubly so in 280/280AI,due what's available to them boolit wise. Odds are,folks schlepping same,is whistling wares well shy of a S/A Fieldcraft 7-08's inherent abilities. Bumping contour,makes less than zero sense to me and is equally as humorous. Hint.

If only as per always,it never ain't not about the Big Picture and it's interesting to see,how many can so very reliably fhuqk up simplistic mechanical potential. Hint.

Simply Start At The Fhuqking Start and don't be in a hurry to make bad decisions.

Hint.

Just sayin'.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Melvin will TELL you what you want. Then after you wait a year for a rifle that isn't what you wanted, but what he wanted you to have; I promise you it will require going back to him for a warranty of some sort.

I would do what Stick says

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well that’s a positive take…

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Melvin will TELL you what you want. Then after you wait a year for a rifle that isn't what you wanted, but what he wanted you to have; I promise you it will require going back to him for a warranty of some sort.

I would do what Stick says

Cooper

This does not reflect the experience I have had with Melvin. Melvin will answer questions and will guide you if you ask. So far, he hasn't led me astray. After all, the rifle is his design. I am curious, what specs did he "want" you to have that you didn't that made you unhappy?

To the OP,

Barrel specs depend on what you are looking for. I have NULAs with both contours. The 22" #1 contour will probably weigh 6oz or so less than the 24" #2. If your goal is to get the lightest and easiest carrying rifle, then go for the #1. However, as stated by several, the extra weight of the #2 will make it easier to hold steady when shooting freehand/off your knee, etc. This is particularly true in situations where you can hear your heart beat. If I only had one, I would lean towards the #2. However, if there were a rifle to build for light and short, the Model 20 284W in a #1 would be a good choice. Having a #2 shortened to 22" may be a good compromise. There, I have talked in a complete circle. Haha

Melvin will probably default to a 1-9 twist unless you specify differently. I would lean towards a 1-8. Big Stick makes some really good points, and are worth pondering before making an order.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 69 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.