Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am traveling to upstate NY next week by vehicle. I have a valid North Carolina concealed carry permit. I under stand NY does not recognize my NC carry permit (every other state I will be traveling through does recognize it). Question being: is it legal for me to possession my hand gun while in my vehicle (not concealed or loaded) while in NY?

Thanks for any info- I just hate traveling 650+ miles and not have a handgun

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

~ Milton Friedman~

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Do you really want to risk your freedom, and getting a felony arrest based on advice you were given from random strangers on the internet? Strangers that you know absolutely nothing about their background. I am sure the judge will take the fact that you asked Joe-Bob the retired school bus driver about if it was legal. Then you went forth and managed to end up in front of a judge with a felony charge. The " but a guy on the internet said XXX" will be an outstanding defense.

Maybe take the time to educate yourself. If you have further questions, contact the state police, or state attorney generals office and actually speak to a person that knows what they are talking about, document who you spoke to and proceed accordingly.

That is just my opinion though.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Do you really want to risk your freedom, and getting a felony arrest based on advice you were given from random strangers on the internet? Strangers that you know absolutely nothing about their background. I am sure the judge will take the fact that you asked Joe-Bob the retired school bus driver about if it was legal. Then you went forth and managed to end up in front of a judge with a felony charge. The " but a guy on the internet said XXX" will be an outstanding defense.

Maybe take the time to educate yourself. If you have further questions, contact the state police, or state attorney generals office and actually speak to a person that knows what they are talking about, document who you spoke to and proceed accordingly.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
short answer 1. Mackay is right. short answer 2 no its not legal

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Call a couple of NY state troopers from different parts of NY and ask them, particularly from the area to which you are travelling.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Exactly 💯

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Try www.handgunlaw.us. That being said, don't do it. Traveling through an unfriendly state and to an unfriendly state are two different things.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NO don[t even try it in NY.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Non-Residents
It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license.

You will be in a word of chit if you are even in possession of the handgun. Fuggh NY. Dont travel there if you can't carry.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Don’t do it. I know quite a bit about NYS gun laws. Don’t do it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you were traveling through New York FOPA should protect you from criminal prosecution, but that doesn't mean you won't be arrested and prosecuted. You would win, but it could cost you. New York prosecutors work for the government and get paid either way.

However, it sounds like New York is your destination and FOPA would not apply.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
no handguns, period. how about a nontactical long gun, unobtrusively secured and unloaded in the trunk? i have a turkish-made, single shot, folding 410 shotgun and marlin papoose, semiauto, takedown 22lr rifle with seven round mags for such travels. both are easily secured in a locked, nondescript, smaller gym bag that is just another piece of luggage coming indoors with you.

not as handy as a handgun but these are examples of lawful firearms for a peaceable visitor and better than a sharp stick if shtf. if properly licensed, red squirrels are unprotected in ny and may be hunted at anytime without limit. also, give no probable cause: obey the speed limits and traffic rules, remove gun decals and bumper stickers, and ensure that all car lights are operative.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Non-Residents
It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license.

You will be in a word of chit if you are even in possession of the handgun. Fuggh NY. Dont travel there if you can't carry.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/

Yep. One of the many reasons I’ll never visit there.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the info, I have done some research. I understand NY is not a "gun friendly" state. Yes NY is my destination state. I will not take my chances in a state that does not trust me with my handgun.
Merry Christmas to all

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

~ Milton Friedman~

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Exactly how was NY going to know you had a handgun?

Unless you needed it to defend yourself.

Then it’s “I lived, but may face jail.”

Or “Sweet, Brown. Alas we knew him well.” At your funeral

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dont even ask.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What a chit hole.

I guess the nearest Walmart being 40 minutes away isn’t such a bad thing.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Exactly how was NY going to know you had a handgun?

Unless you needed it to defend yourself.

Then it’s “I lived, but may face jail.”

Or “Sweet, Brown. Alas we knew him well.” At your funeral

The OP was asking about the legality of it. That is how it was answered. What he should or shouldn't do shouldn't be discussed on an open forum.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Brown_Bass_Hunter
I am traveling to upstate NY next week by vehicle. I have a valid North Carolina concealed carry permit. I under stand NY does not recognize my NC carry permit (every other state I will be traveling through does recognize it). Question being: is it legal for me to possession my hand gun while in my vehicle (not concealed or loaded) while in NY?

Thanks for any info- I just hate traveling 650+ miles and not have a handgun

My understanding is that you can travel through any state in the United States with your handgun, so long as you meet a Federal standard, i.e., it must be unloaded and locked in your trunk (likely in a locked box in your locked trunk). You cannot stop while traveling, other than to get gas, and you must be legal to possess it in the state that is your ultimate destination. I believe those are the rules, but check it out first.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
NO don[t even try it in NY.

New Jersey and Maryland are likely poor choices to test the Federal law on this, also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,139
Posts18,464,805
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.