Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a dilemma I'm not quite sure how to address. The wife's daughter's wife (I know, I don't like that either) has an absolute phobia about guns. Trouble is we plan to stay with them on our winter trip south. I shoot handguns and sporting clays with my Florida gun club, so I'm not about to leave my firearms home just to placate her. I've assured them that all guns will unloaded, locked in a hard case with a pad lock, chain and that pad locked to part of the car locked in the car. I even took a picture of it and sent it to them. Yesterday she suggested that I give my guns to a police friend of theirs, so that he can haul them around in his squad car. I'm not about to turn over thousands of dollars worth of guns to a complete stranger, cop or not. Suggestions welcome.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring something less scary,........
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
I have a dilemma I'm not quite sure how to address. The wife's daughter's wife (I know, I don't like that either) has an absolute phobia about guns. Trouble is we plan to stay with them on our winter trip south. I shoot handguns and sporting clays with my Florida gun club, so I'm not about to leave my firearms home just to placate her. I've assured them that all guns will unloaded, locked in a hard case with a pad lock, chain and that pad locked to part of the car locked in the car. I even took a picture of it and sent it to them. Yesterday she suggested that I give my guns to a police friend of theirs, so that he can haul them around in his squad car. I'm not about to turn over thousands of dollars worth of guns to a complete stranger, cop or not. Suggestions welcome.
Don't 'stay with them', stay elsewhere.... Easy-peasy...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
tell the dyke to pound sand, and send her a cook book so she knows what a womans role is

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I’m not wanted somewhere, I don’t go. You’re not wanted there. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Screw it, do what you want to. Like gitem said, tell her to pound sand, but be nice and strategic about it. You are staying with them. Tell her that you're not breaking any laws and they'll stay in the car, not in their house. Then offer to take her to the range and you'll teach her how to shoot, or at least watch, so that she can be a little educated about her phobia. I know, nobody wants to take someone like that to a range, her head might explode. But even if she declines to go, she'll know that you're on the level and you're not a mass murderer.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gitem_12
tell the dyke to pound sand, and send her a cook book so she knows what a womans role is

Sometimes I wonder why I come here less and less...then something like this gets posted and I suddenly remember.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Cheesy
If I’m not wanted somewhere, I don’t go. You’re not wanted there. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Yep.

It's not a bad idea to invite them to a range to shoot some.

Still.....no way I'd stay there. Even if someone says it's ok, if I know something's going to bother them, I'd prefer not to bother them. Hotels are everywhere.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MOST phobias are irrational, some can be 'overcome'. Take her to the range. It's not unusual for the ignorant to become completely enamored with firearms if they are introduced slowly, thoughtfully.

An absolute must to start out is MINIMIZE noise and recoil, once they realize they are in control and that guns are not 'evil beasts' move up................. let them decide how far.

My FIL put the first center fire rifle in my hands, taught me many things about guns and hunting. Curiously NONE of the women in his family knew a tinkers damn about weapons, and I don't think he EVER let them shoot, certainly not any kind of regular basis.

His daughter, my wife, while not ate up with it, does enjoy it, and gets a thrill just plinking.

She thinks the AR, that I just put together, and call 'hers', with a red dot sight is just 'cool' and can't wait to go shoot........... also likes 'her' MP 380 EZ....

Some almost wet their pants when they hit their first passing clay pigeon................

IMHO....

Last edited by Muffin; 12/21/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree with Stonecutter

You can always flip the tables later when she comes to your house. Tell her you don't like her type of lifestyle and could she please lock it in her cars trunk.....

Last edited by pullit; 12/21/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would just find somewhere else to stay. Their house their rules.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you must stay with them and you're okay with storing the guns locked in your car, why was it necessary to even bring this up? There's no point in trying to change her mind IMO, as she is clearly irrational. It's going to take more than just your one visit to straighten her out.

And why, BTW, would you want to stay with someone who's so irrational? My bet is you're gonna have other conflicts as well.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Where in FL???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
If you must stay with them and you're okay with storing the guns locked in your car, why was it necessary to even bring this up? There's no point in trying to change her mind IMO, as she is clearly irrational. It's going to take more than just your one visit to straighten her out.

And why, BTW, would you want to stay with someone who's so irrational? My bet is you're gonna have other conflicts as well.

I agree. People such as you described are hardwired with their belief and emotions. Usually the anti-gun phobias are instilled by the far left bias of liberals. Therefore, as Free Me stated, "My bet is you're gonna have other conflicts as well." I'd bet along with Free Me.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Because he's cheap?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Um, their house, their rules.

Don't stay at their house and you don't have to abide by their rules.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A hotel or hotel parking lot to my way of thinking is way less secure than my locked up SUV in their driveway. The wife wants to interact with their kid and them. Given the choice, I'd drive right by because I don't much like them, but Nashville is half way and that's all the driving that I want to do before a layover.

That Jack Nicholson quote comes to mind when I think of these two relatives. Asked how he could think like a woman so well? He said that he thinks like a man and then removes all logic and reason. Bingo.

Other conflicts are a near guarantee. Been there and done that when they lived in Minneapolis.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I suspect they may be Democrats. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was thinking there might be a chance to do some good in the manner of some of the characteristic suggestions here…then I got to the part about turning them over to a cop for safekeeping. There is no way in hell you can deal rationally with someone that incredibly irrational. If you go stay with them you need to have your head examined. If your wife doesn’t or won’t understand why you can’t stay at that funny farm, well…

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Sometimes I wonder why I come here less and less...then something like this gets posted and I suddenly remember.

so we should recognize and accept their immoral lifestyle? are you trying to say that as a whole, this country wasn't better during the age of don't ask don't tell?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.