Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
$1,000.

Any takers?

EXPERT GRADE .30-06 RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.

EXPERT308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Winchester. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.

The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts.

Manufacturer selection guarantees only that the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel, receiver, and other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers; and may also be of commercial origin with original, re-parkerized, or other commercial finish.

GR

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They sound like sweet rifles. Many of the guys at my club have m1 garands. They bring them to our military rifle shoots. I love seeing them, as they are very iconic and a piece of American history. Most of them were purchased through the CMP. Some very well used rifles and some new looking. Yours sound like great specimens and perfect for shooting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like my Special Grade. How do they differ from that, or did they simply change the nomenclature?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sounds like my Special Grade. How do they differ from that, or did they simply change the nomenclature?

The Special Rack grade shows a $750 value. They are out of everything else. With the Expert it sounds like pretty much everything is new except the receiver, bolt, and internal parts. It appears they are as new as the CMP can make them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Huh. Like I said, sounds like my Special Grade. New Criterion barrel and new stock and stock furniture, original receiver and internals.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am seriously considering it. My past dealings with CMP have been very good.

Any takers?

EXPERT GRADE .30-06 RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.

EXPERT308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Winchester. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.

The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts.

Manufacturer selection guarantees only that the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel, receiver, and other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers; and may also be of commercial origin with original, re-parkerized, or other commercial finish.

GR[/quote]

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've bought a bunch of guns from the CMP. The good ole days are over for them I'm afraid.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a nice M1 from them in 2005. I was surprised it was that long ago when I looked it up. I wanted to own a piece of that history. They rated it as Collector Grade and I paid $1400 for it. An inflation calculator puts that as just shy of $2000 today. I’m glad to have it.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Huh. Like I said, sounds like my Special Grade. New Criterion barrel and new stock and stock furniture, original receiver and internals.

Probably is.

May be a new class simply because they will have lots more of them than Service Grades available, so much so that they have broadened their Bbl. outsourcing beyond Criterion.

Here's one in the wild:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GR

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice shooters. Use the heck out of it to save wear on a collectible.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooters. Use the heck out of it to save wear on a collectible.

Got a '55 SA 5.8M from the Greek returns that came out w/ as-new metal and bore, and has become my shooter.

Late SA USGI stock set and shoots ~ 2.5 MOA.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The rest are rather interesting, for this or that...

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this a good deal at $1k?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Under $1K won't buy much of a Garand otherwise these days. Stuff under a thousand are the ones rode hard and put away wet: oil soaked stocks, washed out throats and worn muzzles, etc.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This new expert grade is essentially a special grade without the repark, so you will have a variance in the shade/color of parts vs a nice uniform color.

For a shooter grade M1, you can't go wrong for $1k. For a collectable variant, you're better off with the all USGI Grades,(ie. Rack, Field, Service, Correct, Collector). Years ago, they offered a select grade, which was their top shooter grade rifle, as New USGI Barrel and a tight fitting USGI stock. Wait times for those rifles were 1-2yrs.

SD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the perspective, gnoahhh and SD.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
garands are another one of my adictions. try and build one for 1000 and it ain't gonna happen.
these rebuilds while not having any military collector's appeal, are good shooters.
if you go and price some of the worn out pieces of crap circulating and those prices, 1000bucks is a good deal.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm of the opinion that an M1 is a piece of history, and it should have the opportunity to tell you about its self. I've got an IHC, correct, that has the marks in the butt where a user pressed the tips of the bullets in the enbloc clip into the wood in several spots to seat them prior to loading. Another where there are dings from hitting web gear whild carrying on a sling. good story tellers those Garands.

If you aren't winning, you better be learning !
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, they speak of duty and preservation of freedom. The perfect icon of Liberty. Everyone should own at least one Garand in his life, and learn about it (and from it).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had 6 and traded 3 for AR's. 10 years later that was a real stupid mistake. The ones I traded were the Greek returns so I wasn't out a ton of money. But they had the "cool" factor going for them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

The "Original" Specials were about the same price at $950, the recent "Rack" Specials have had much more pitting on the receivers, and were $750.

I agree - this sounds like a Special in a new title wrapper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,883 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.