-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My 11 year old daughter has expressed interest in shooting a traditional long bow. I've googled them and seems to be a lot of options, but looking for any recommendations from people that know what would be good. My preference is for something handcrafted by a small shop or owner, but not over the top fancy for a first bow and something she would grow out of. Any info greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Petersen; 11/16/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does it have to be a longbow or would she shoot a recurve? I ask because the Samick Sage is a pretty good bow and the interchangeable limbs will allow it to grow with her if she enjoys it. If she decides it's not for her you are not out a lot of coin.
Longbows for kids are tougher to find but depending on her size, keep a look out for a Mad Dog longbow. The guy that built them specialized in low poundage, short draw bows for kids. Unfortunately I don't think he's still producing them.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bbassi
Does it have to be a longbow or would she shoot a recurve? I ask because the Samick Sage is a pretty good bow and the interchangeable limbs will allow it to grow with her if she enjoys it. If she decides it's not for her you are not out a lot of coin.
Longbows for kids are tougher to find but depending on her size, keep a look out for a Mad Dog longbow. The guy that built them specialized in low poundage, short draw bows for kids. Unfortunately I don't think he's still producing them.

Not sure on the recurve. She is pretty little as well. lol
Think it is going to be tough to find something and appreciate the heads up on the one make.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I build my own longbows but have been away from it for 10 years or so. I'm anxious to start building again and have 9 and 11 year old grandsons chomping at the bit for bows like what I shoot. My 11 year old is currently shooting an older Ben Pearson 25# @ 26" recurve that I bought as a youth a couple of lifetimes ago. My 9 year old is shooting a solid fiberglass bow and needs an upgrade. For him, I've been considering these youth recurves from Lancaster Archery until I can get bows built for both of them:

https://lancasterarchery.com/products/galaxy-bullseye-54-takedown-recurve-bow
https://lancasterarchery.com/products/samick-little-fox-54-takedown-bow

They show options for bow length (48", 54" and 58"), left or right hand risers and a choice of draw weights on limbs (10 lbs up to 25-30 lbs). There should be a combo there that will work and a phone call to Lancaster should help match up the right size for her.

Last edited by JGray; 11/16/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Appreciate the info. I'll check them out

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I would also recommend checking out St. Joe River bows: https://stjoeriverbows.com/ They have a youth program for growing kids where you can get credit for trading in a working older bow when purchasing a newer one.

I know Stalker Stick bows also make some nice takedown bows for kids, can upgrade limbs as needed.

My daughters have a Bear Archery 'Bullseye X' model that is not bad for an affordable option; it reminds me of the Samick Sage that I started with about 10 years ago except it's scaled down for kids. It comes in a few poundage options and is a takedown, but I'm not sure if they sell the limbs separately so that you can upgrade.

You can get some affordable Genesis aluminum arrows from Amazon or various other places as starter arrows.

Last edited by DeCurry; 11/24/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Didnt Bear make a " cub " recurve?
Brought it back out a few yrs ago?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Take her to a local big box shop or bow shop and have her shoot some bows. It is best to have her shoot the bows, as there is no other way to honestly know what she likes and what fit her.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with giving her exposure to several different types of bows.

The other thing I would do is determine which is her dominant eye.

I wouldn’t get a bow too heavy a weight of draw at first either. Proper anchor point memory is key IMO.

Good luck.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My plan for my crew is an ILF riser that way I can swap limbs as they get older and their needs change

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.