Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
KLM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I am beginning to consider another dog after loosing my lab Katie 5 years ago. I am now retired in my early 60's so this will be my final dog. I've trained all 5 of my dogs, GSP and Labs and each one holds a spot in my heart, but way too much vacuuming to keep the hair cleaned up. 90%+ will be upland bird hunting.

The requirements below are in order of importance.

1 - low to very low shedding (my wife has put up with me for 40+ years and she is a keeper)
2 - mild mannered in the house
3 - good with grandchildren (I know this is exposure to them early on)
4 - a solid companion (my buddy)
5 - good hunting drive

I've had some bad luck buying from kennels in the past (dogs were too high strung) and very good luck getting dogs from small breeders if that matters.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and input. Thank you in advance.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin!!! Wire hair pointer, ya won't be sorry!!! Ya I know Griffin, drahthaar, blah blah blah. Merry Christmas. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drahts are huge shedders and can get a bit much in the house if not worked a lot. I'd go griff or whatever worked for you in the past.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about a field bred standard poodle? They're out there and can be fine dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was doing a similar search 6 years ago and ended up with a pudelpointer. Only disappointment in the breed for me is the amount of shedding. Not as much as other breeds we've had in the house, but quite a bit more than I was led to believe they did. When I asked the breeder about this (as well as coat conformation) he said that's the last thing the Breeder's Association is worried about.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WPG!

They shed, but nothing like a lab. They do however need more coat maintenance than a lab.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am not sure what you are looking for exists. At your age (no disrespect as I am in my early 60's) I would say the shedding concern should be at the bottom of your list.

I have had Brittanies, GSP's, and now a Weimer. The sporting breeds all gotta have an outlet for their need to exercise and "work".

There is one breed I have thought will be my last .... Braque de Bourbonnais ... hunted around a couple of 'em years ago and the owners all say they were the best for being low maintenance (maintenance being needing to get out for substantial exercise every day). Problem is that the few breeders there used to be in the U.S. have retired their kennels.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Another vote for a griff. Lower shedding, very personable, safe around children, mine have had very good prey drive but I feel it is something you should help bring out in a dog at a young age.

. Find a reputable breeder

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pudelpointer. Has the combination of qualities that you seek. I've had two, wish my current Drahthaar was a PP.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tough to beat a Labrador from a good Lab. breeder

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I love my DD, but when I'm 60 I'm getting one of these: https://www.spinoneclubofamerica.com

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 12/26/21. Reason: wrong link

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just get a GSP and then play dumb. . . . "But dear, I didn't know they shed like that"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AWS, Boyken, IWS and GWH, I never noticed my GWH shedding much, a better companion would be hard to find.. Watch out for AWS's mine would steal the covers off the bunk (while I was sleeping) in the camper to make a nest for herself, she was so stealthy that I wouldn't wake up until I got cold.

Mellow in the house.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

He did enjoy days off
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 12/27/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KLM

1 - low to very low shedding (my wife has put up with me for 40+ years and she is a keeper)
5 - good hunting drive

I have a smoothcoat Pudelpointer. It fits every one of your requirements, especially the shedding, or lack thereof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53

Will a good lab shed less than all the other labs? smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by pete53

Will a good lab shed less than all the other labs? smile

A good lab will make you notice it less than a bad lab...

Bad lab becomes "This place is covered in hair from that no good lab that won't retrieve a duck in bath water..."

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by KLM

5 - good hunting drive

I have a smoothcoat Pudelpointer. It fits every one of your requirements, especially the shedding, or lack thereof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gorgeous dog. I've never heard of the breed before, my experience was all with yellow labs and GSPs. Pudelpointer specialize in any one thing? Pheasants, grouse, woodcock, ducks etc?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Gorgeous dog. I've never heard of the breed before, my experience was all with yellow labs and GSPs. Pudelpointer specialize in any one thing? Pheasants, grouse, woodcock, ducks etc?

They are a very versatile dog. Love the water, will retrieve as well as pointing. Many use them for pheasant. I use mine for grouse and woodcock.

Most have a wire hair coat but some like mine will have a smooth coat. He is a very clean dog. 8 yrs old and I've never brushed him. I don't waterfowl so the coat is of no consequence. The longer coats are better for later season duck hunting.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Upland hunting can mean different things. Decide if you want a pointer or a flusher. Get a Springer or a Brittany….., or maybe a Lab or Shorthair. Get the one you’d like the best. Love the dog and forgive a little shedding. Keep the vacuum handy and use it often and your wife will be ok. Early 60’s? Shucks, you’ve got a couple more dogs in the future. Enjoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR
Upland hunting can mean different things. Decide if you want a pointer or a flusher. Get a Springer or a Brittany….., or maybe a Lab or Shorthair. Get the one you’d like the best. Love the dog and forgive a little shedding. Keep the vacuum handy and use it often and your wife will be ok. Early 60’s? Shucks, you’ve got a couple more dogs in the future. Enjoy.

Our family had labs and German Shepherds. The shedding was 2nd to none with those 2 breeds and I was quite used to it, but once I got the PP and the shedding was nearly eliminated, I decided I'd never go back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,119 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.