Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Theeck
CNYMUZGUY: I see you are in Oswego. That seems like you should have access to some pretty good hunting. I have fished up there and will probably be going again in February. I am going to start researching Maine and I will let you know what I find out. Are you looking to stay with an outfitter or are you planning to camp?

We have a few grouse in this area. They are tough to flush them off the ground as they tend to sit in trees.

We would stay in cabins or a motel. My brother is in his 70s and not likely to want to camp. Also, mainly North and east of Rangeley, maybe as far east as the 201 corridor.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're really picking a not ideal part of the state to shoot grouse. That area is crowded with much lower bird densities than up north. Look way north. Ashland or Allagash. Plenty of cabins available in those towns, and still daily driving distance from respectable grouse hunting inside the North Maine Woods gates.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My son limits out almost everytime he hikes my old stomping grounds:

Apple orchards from the ealy 1900s late 1800's, grown in, and only rock foundations left of the early houses.

Youd have to be blind, or fat and lazy, not to limit out on birds in many places of aroostok county.

Funny, he uses a beat up, short barreled 870 pump and whatever shells he finds.

Focus on route 11 between patten and ashland. Hike hard along the brooks, rivers and ridgelines. Should limit out every day....

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/05/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in 2013 during my dad moose hunt up in the Allagash(the Great North Woods) we saw tons of grouse right on the logging roads. I would try around Fort Kent and avoid the moose hunting weeks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Call Corey at Sally Mountain Cabins in Jackman for accommodations on Big Wood Lake. There must be 10,000 miles of logging roads and snowmobile trails in the Jackman, Moose River and Dennistown Plantation area that have grouse. I'm usually tripping over them when deer hunting.😀

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Back in 2013 during my dad moose hunt up in the Allagash(the Great North Woods) we saw tons of grouse right on the logging roads. I would try around Fort Kent and avoid the moose hunting weeks.

You should be aware that IF&W has extended bird season into September to coincide with the first week of moose season. Those road birds now get pounded harder than before. Moose seasons typically run the last week of September, the second week in October, and the fourth week in October. There is also an adaptive hunt in 4A that is the 3rd week of October. Getting harder and harder to avoid moose hunting. Finding birds isn't the problem, finding lodging may be at times.

Last edited by JDK; 02/07/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Camping inside the North Maine Woods gates is a great way to go about it. We've been using just popup tents, but this year I'm going to buy a wall tent before October. It can get down in the teens at night up north in October. A tent with a stove wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm happy to point folks in the right direction if they would like to exchange PMs. But I will not post info in an open space for all the internet to see.

Thanks GuideGun. Smart move. I will message you. I have a wall tent with a stove and a Snowtrekker tent with a stove. I may bring one but I'd probably just use a standard tent unless I was staying at least 5 days or have someone to help with the set up. I have sleeping bags rated well below zero so I think I can hack it with the bare minimum. I hunt in Vermont and the Adirondacks so I have dealt with camping in the cold. Thanks. If you want to hunt, let me know. I am open to company here in PA or in Maine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Camping inside the North Maine Woods gates is a great way to go about it. We've been using just popup tents, but this year I'm going to buy a wall tent before October. It can get down in the teens at night up north in October. A tent with a stove wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm happy to point folks in the right direction if they would like to exchange PMs. But I will not post info in an open space for all the internet to see.

Thanks GuideGun. Smart move. I will message you. I have a wall tent with a stove and a Snowtrekker tent with a stove. I may bring one but I'd probably just use a standard tent unless I was staying at least 5 days or have someone to help with the set up. I have sleeping bags rated well below zero so I think I can hack it with the bare minimum. I hunt in Vermont and the Adirondacks so I have dealt with camping in the cold. Thanks. If you want to hunt, let me know. I am open to company here in PA or in Maine.

Shoot me a PM, love to plan a weekend with some campfire members in October grouse hunting.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.