Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll be heading out tomorrow to hunt with a crew. Usually get 15-20 guys. Weather is a bit sketchy with rain at 8:00 maybe for an hour. Hopefully it will be snow.
I usually go in 4D and 5G. Weather guy says rain almost all week, so tomorrow morning will be best window until 1:00 rain.
Hope my fellow PA hunters have a safe and fun hunt, and your flinter goes bang.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had lots of fun with my flintlock in Pennsylvania back in the 80's and early 90's. Limited success over the years, just two doe IIRC.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Will be hunting 1B in Crawford County for a buck or doe. Still have a doe tag for 1A after filling one in 1B. Good luck to you and your crew!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm losing the first 4 days because of work...
I'm hoping to blood my Pennsylvania Hunter.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Good luck!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just finished tweaking my .62 Jaeger. Originally set it up for moose hunting, but really didn't want to keep shoving 120gr of FF down the barrel just to shoot deer. Dropped down to a .600 ball and 90gr FFF and am getting the same point of impact as the .610 ball with FF. Hopefully get to field test it in the morning. I know the 120gr load gave dramatic terminal performance on deer.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never heard of a flintlock season. Do they have a regular muzzleloader season as well?

Good luck!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by blackpowder62
Will be hunting 1B in Crawford County for a buck or doe. Still have a doe tag for 1A after filling one in 1B. Good luck to you and your crew!

Terry K.
We have a hunt camp North West of You, near Albion PA.
I haven't Muzzle loaded hunted, there in years , only Rifle!
Good Luck, to You and your crew.

Bill N.,

It's Been tradition for years as long as I can remember, (Flintlock),
Antler less Deer, October 16-23, 2021, with Muzzle loader, other wise Flint lock.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just figured Terry's Hunting?

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Bill_N
Never heard of a flintlock season. Do they have a regular muzzleloader season as well?

Good luck!

Back in the day PA only had a ‘primitive’ flintlock season complete with round balls, black powder and open sights.

Things have changed now.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Good luck!

there is an early MZ season that allows scopes, inlines etc.

the late season is iron sighted flintlocks only, and up until recently the only projectile legal was patched roundballs.

there is a crowd that is doing all they can to push the PGC to allow inlines,and scopes during the Flintlock only season as well. becasue well,, they arent comfrotbale with flintlocks, and their children get scared of them, yadda yadda yadda.

I love the season

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just tagged out. SGL 109, Erie County. Little bitty button buck, at about 80 yards. Lyman Deerstalker .50. 240 gr. XTP over 85gr. FFG. Bang flop, .75 mile drag. Good thing it was small. I am too! Old, too...

Last edited by benchman; 12/27/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Good luck!

there is an early MZ season that allows scopes, inlines etc.

the late season is iron sighted flintlocks only, and up until recently the only projectile legal was patched roundballs.

there is a crowd that is doing all they can to push the PGC to allow inlines,and scopes during the Flintlock only season as well. becasue well,, they arent comfrotbale with flintlocks, and their children get scared of them, yadda yadda yadda.

I love the season

We have a similar late hunt here in WV now, the Moutaineer Heritage Season. Four days in January, sidelocks with iron sights only, one either-sex deer, a bear, and a turkey may be taken. I use a Parker-Hale 1858 Enfield.

Late hunts are really tough where I hunt. Even seeing one is difficult. With the mast pretty much gone, the game has only to wade the Shenandoah to the ag fields on the other side. If the weather is nice like last year, hikers and dog-walkers wander all over the place. Yesterday, some dipschitt must’ve dumped off 10 or more mags from a semi of some sort in about a half hour a couple hundred yards from where I was sitting for deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I might get out for an afternoon this week but Friday will probably be my first day out. Drove home from Somerset to DuBois, today, talk about a [bleep] day for driving. Roads were pretty dicey around Ebensburg to St. Boniface. Not a good day to be in the woods with a flintlock. Still got some rain coming down.

Dale

This space for rent

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Sittin here in the fog with a Firestorm

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Aaaaand I missed...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What that, a 240gr XTP you say? When did they change the rules to allow that?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What that, a 240gr XTP you say? When did they change the rules to allow that?

I think around the same time they approved peep sights. 2015 or so? Single projectile, 44 cal or bigger, sabots allowed.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Probably the same bunch that is pushing them to legalize ARs.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Dale K. you are travel through and to some of my old country.. Enjoy.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Just finished tweaking my .62 Jaeger. Originally set it up for moose hunting, but really didn't want to keep shoving 120gr of FF down the barrel just to shoot deer. Dropped down to a .600 ball and 90gr FFF and am getting the same point of impact as the .610 ball with FF. Hopefully get to field test it in the morning. I know the 120gr load gave dramatic terminal performance on deer.

I soot 90 gr of 3F in my Christian Spring .62 cal, 37" barrel. Chronographs at just a hair under 1500 fps. That is my moose load and that is what I use for deer, just makes things simpler. Sights are set up for 200 yards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Now that I see how the 90 of FFFg shoots, I'm going to do some "long range" with it to see how it does. Headed back to Newfoundland in September. I'm guessing the two loads shoot fairly close. Shot the FFg load to 200 prior to the last trip, was easily "point of moose".

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Now that I see how the 90 of FFFg shoots, I'm going to do some "long range" with it to see how it does. Headed back to Newfoundland in September. I'm guessing the two loads shoot fairly close. Shot the FFg load to 200 prior to the last trip, was easily "point of moose".

What outfitter are you going with? Mine wasn't very accepting of the flintlock.

Last edited by blackpowder62; 12/28/21.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Going to miss it this year as I just had a heart procedure. I started shooting a flintlock in 1983 at 12 years old. I know I will probably upset a few of the traditional guys but I would love to see flintlock shifted to the Oct. week and allow for buck or doe that week. Then have a few weeks after Xmas for inline or flintlock.

Keep your powder dry,

Whit

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by whit
Going to miss it this year as I just had a heart procedure. I started shooting a flintlock in 1983 at 12 years old. I know I will probably upset a few of the traditional guys but I would love to see flintlock shifted to the Oct. week and allow for buck or doe that week. Then have a few weeks after Xmas for inline or flintlock.

Keep your powder dry,

Whit

If they just leave the late flintlock only season alone, I would be happy.

Last edited by blackpowder62; 12/29/21.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yeah no reason to mess with the season an inline is just a single shot rifle any more

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I support legalizing ARs for hunting in Pa. they should leave Late flintlock alone. it was started as a "traditional/ heratige season. not as an additional management season

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Good luck!
...the late season is iron sighted flintlocks only, and up until recently the only projectile legal was patched roundballs. ..

Conicals have been legal for over 20yrs, sometime in the 90's.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Tundragriz

Good luck!
...the late season is iron sighted flintlocks only, and up until recently the only projectile legal was patched roundballs. ..

Conicals have been legal for over 20yrs, sometime in the 90's.

Hey, I know you!!!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dale K. you are travel through and to some of my old country.. Enjoy.

Except for a 20 year sojourn in the southeast corner of Pa. I've lived in this area since the 70's. Got out hunting tonight at about 4 PM. I'd seen one deer last night in one of the farm fields, looked like it had a bit of a limp. Tonight, I went to the woodlot it went into last night. Saw five, including the limper, come out of another woodlot but it was too far and too dark to shoot. Oh well. I've got Friday off.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dropped a nanny on 12/29/21.

Couldn't get any good pics due to the rain and location.

#2 for my first plank build. A .570" roundball sure makes a nice hole and puts em down hard.

Probably get out a few more days before the end. Planning to make a run to Ohio next weekend though. Still have a buck tag there and well...I like a nice rack.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Congrats M06! Its nice to see so many familiar names on here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Hunting with Red Indian Lake Outfitters. Be my 3rd trip with them, second time taking the flintlock. My guide was a little anxious till I shot it at 100 and 200 yards for him. Told him 150 was my max. Also had my Dad along as it was 2:1, he was carrying my 300 RUM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should try my flint out

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Hunting with Red Indian Lake Outfitters. Be my 3rd trip with them, second time taking the flintlock. My guide was a little anxious till I shot it at 100 and 200 yards for him. Told him 150 was my max. Also had my Dad along as it was 2:1, he was carrying my 300 RUM.

My first trip up, I had called the outfitter twice to make sure my flintlock was ok, no problem he says. Fly into camp and the guide was not happy. Succes rate is everything to them up there and anything that may interfere with that isn't good. That was all I took. Told him I was prepared to shoot 200 yards. Third morning right at daylight I passed on one at 190, just couldn't see well enough. To say he was "unhappy" is an understatement! Told him I was done for the day and headed back to camp. He tried to get me out in the afternoon and told him no, I needed to sort things out. Borrowed my buddies extra 06 he had along and shot one the next day. The next several days we got it all sorted out, and taking the flint next time will not be a problem. Those boys up there are serious about getting you a moose, at least the outfitter we hunt with are.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

#2 for the flintlock season.

Hunted about 4hrs the last 2 evenings in 2 different spots..both spots within a couple hundred yards of the road. I don't believe in working too hard to doe hunt lol...

Seen 3 doe and a good buck yesterday. Today 5 doe and another good buck. Late season can be brutal and slow...but when you get them figured out it is very predictable.

Absolutely love taking deer with the flintlock.

1 last hunt Monday. Don't know that I'll shoot another one...but I usually go watch the sun set 1 last time knowj g the next day I will be anxiously awaiting October.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw 2 late on Saturday afternoon but they didn't present any shooting opportunities. Today, I had some other stuff to do so I didn't have time to get out to hunt but I did get out for a short walk. Saw 3 of them standing in a corn field, just looking at me.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser06

#2 for the flintlock season.

Hunted about 4hrs the last 2 evenings in 2 different spots..both spots within a couple hundred yards of the road. I don't believe in working too hard to doe hunt lol...

Seen 3 doe and a good buck yesterday. Today 5 doe and another good buck. Late season can be brutal and slow...but when you get them figured out it is very predictable.

Absolutely love taking deer with the flintlock.

1 last hunt Monday. Don't know that I'll shoot another one...but I usually go watch the sun set 1 last time knowj g the next day I will be anxiously awaiting October.

Good deal.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I support legalizing ARs for hunting in Pa. they should leave Late flintlock alone. it was started as a "traditional/ heratige season. not as an additional management season

I agree with this statement. It's a cool experience to just hear fffffffffttttttt Boom when you're out in the woods.
Most counties can't really justify needing that extra time for hunters like we have in Allegheny Co does where I live. Here (Allegheny Co.) you can hunt anterless deer with shotguns and any muzzleloaders until the end of January. But that is in a really densely (deer that is) populated area. I don't think most counties need that.

Some farmers may disagree based on their crop damage, but they can always enroll in the Red Tag program which allows hunting of antlerless deer almost year round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.