Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FWIW hunt tale on a winter day. My grandson had a Roosevelt bull elk jump the string on a shot he made this Fall. At least that’s what we called it in my bow hunting days, when an animal dodged an arrow.

Grandson had a broadside shot ranged at 55 yards. He is deadly with his compound bow to 75 yards, but self limited his shots on game to 60 yards. With the bull standing still and in the open at 55 yards, grandson took the shot, aiming below center chest and tight behind the front leg.

He said that the bull appeared to stare at the approaching arrow and flinched away from it. The bull sucked back so that the arrow went through the brisket or lower neck, ahead of the leg bone instead of behind it. The recovered arrow was coated in blood, a pass through, and one blade edge was damaged from hitting bone.

Lots of bright blood, in pouring rain so grandson and his Dad decided to follow sooner than they would have preferred, at 50 minutes. They tracked the bull for two days. The first day they saw it twice without getting a shot. By late the first day the bull seemed to be recovering, moving normally when they saw it late in the day. The second day the blood trail ended and he was acting like a healthy elk.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/26/21. Reason: clarity
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Believe it or not, it's probably more common than not.
Yeah that's what we always called it, "Jumping the String"!
It's more common on Longer shots, naturally, as it gives the Animal,
a little more time to react to the Shot.

Being that proficient at his comfortable Ranges, I wouldn't stop,
taking those shots, as Long as He's that proficient at those Distances! IMO!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arrows are loud.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would say that he needs to cut his distance down to a reasonable 30 yards...
The sound will get there 4 times faster than the arrow. Targets don't move.
And if it does survive, great. We really have no way of knowing. But it is not a healthy elk. Now it is a wounded elk that is now vulnerable to infection and predators.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
U R gonna miss every shot U don’t take.

But some shots shouldn’t be taken.

Everyone gets to learn this deal.

I got a lesson the last couple of days .

I sure wish illuminated nocks were legal in Idaho.

BTW …..I doubt a pass through brisket hit will be lethal. U got excellent drainage.

Talking about misses or lost game is not like confessing your sins.

There are very little redeeming qualities.

Happy Holidays

And shoot to kill.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We (Son and I),do spend a lot of Time, and effort, getting our gear as quiet as possible, so much as,
shooting together and advising each other on sound quieting techniques!
It's actually fun, and enjoyable to be able to spend that time together,and learn new techniques.

It's not for everyone, and Maybe a small percentage, as it does take a lot of time and practice to,
properly do it right, as the longer range shooting takes a lot Longer, (naturally), to perfect.
It takes a lot of Self Discipline to to practice long range hunting, shooting Techniques.

As a Rule Most Game is taken with a Bow under, or within 30 yds.
and I'd much rather take game within those Ranges, but Just in
case, I'd like to be able to get an Animal, successfully, and not wound it,
Rather than not get it, and not have that close to perfect shot,
that we'd all like!

Different Strokes

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I doubt the bull saw the arrow , sound of the limbs thunking probably caused him to jump. I had a friend that shot a bull of a lifetime like that and we never recovered it after looking for two days for it as well. I'll bet it was hit in the same area of the body.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fifty five yards is a long shot, regardless of how accurate you are on targets. Stuff happens.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I figured this would get some grief, but thought the real animal/real shot info was worth swapping with real hunters. Of course we will differ and disagree, otherwise no point in rehashng it, but we may learn or see another angle on it. The young man has passed a good many shots he considered iffy, shots many bow hunters say they would have taken. He’s disciplined and can live with his decisions, though of course wishes he could bring this one back.

Yep, 55 is long for any bow. I limited myself to 30 yards most of the time when hunting with a recurve decades ago. Parrallel to the long rangers with rifles, bow hunters now have vastly superior technology, with attendant ethical decisons about how far to use it.

Re the elk’s move: could be that he never saw the arrow and most such misses IME were from an animal reacting to sound. He said this one locked his eyes on the incoming arrow and appeared to be dodging away from the arrow with the suck back flinch. Who knows.

FWIW I have killed one 6x6 bull elk with a healed over broadhead in its shoulder, plus an old buck with an arrowhead in its chops against its spine, long healed over and encased in gristle. I’d give high probability that this bull recovered. By the time they gave up tracking him late on day 2, he was feeding, had joined a small herd, would lie down and leave hardly a trace of blood in the bed, and get up and move on long before the trackers caught up. He got up on his own, not jumped from the bed. Cut, yes. Fatal, very unlikely.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/27/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When hunting out west one often has to “stalk” the game.

These animals are not wound tighter than an 8 clock ready to spring like white tails that are under pressure like back east.

Often they are curious……the curiosity is over whelmed by fear eventually…….usually it’s about 60 yards they become uncomfortable. An elks vital area is perhaps 2.5 to three times as large as a whitetail doe.

If 30 yards is acceptable to whitetail hunting ……….
using minute of angle theory wouldn’t 75 yards be “acceptable “? For elk?

Just braying.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/27/21.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895

These animals are not wound tighter than an 8 clock ready to spring like white tails that are under pressure like back east.

Often they are curious……the curiosity is over whelmed by fear eventually…….usually it’s about 60 yards they become uncomfortable. An elks vital area is perhaps 2.5 to three times as large as a whitetail doe.

Just braying.

Interesting, especially the observation about them getting nervous at about 60 yards.

Grandson R. spotted the bull at 90 yards. He began to stalk it while his Dad edged back a ways and called. The bull came toward them in short moves with R. stalking closer when possible, but it hung up at 55 yards and acted as if it was going to leave.

He has a rifle set up for long range and shoots it well at 1000 yards. Opening day of deer season he had a decent buck in alpine huckleberries at 675 yards but was sure he could stalk closer. He killed it at 330 yards.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With archery, flight time is right up there with accuracy in the priority list.
Even with fast compounds, arrows ain't bullets.

Last edited by SBTCO; 12/27/21.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Eastern tactics ain’t western tactics.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Just braying.

Eastern tactics ain’t western tactics.

A lot of great points, brought up for Discussion.
Yes there's a big difference in how, the White tails react, compared to Elk!
Although, there are several similarities, between the two species.
I know for a Fact of an Eastern Hunter, who Shot a nice 330 inch Bull at 97 Yds 2 yrs ago! (No BS)
He's also a very good Hunter, and works hard at his hobby, and enjoys it,

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I figured this would get some grief, but thought the real animal/real shot info was worth swapping with real hunters. Of course we will differ and disagree, otherwise no point in rehashng it, but we may learn or see another angle on it. The young man has passed a good many shots he considered iffy, shots many bow hunters say they would have taken. He’s disciplined and can live with his decisions, though of course wishes he could bring this one back.

Yep, 55 is long for any bow. I limited myself to 30 yards most of the time when hunting with a recurve decades ago. Parrallel to the long rangers with rifles, bow hunters now have vastly superior technology, with attendant ethical decisons about how far to use it.

Re the elk’s move: could be that he never saw the arrow and most such misses IME were from an animal reacting to sound. He said this one locked his eyes on the incoming arrow and appeared to be dodging away from the arrow with the suck back flinch. Who knows.

FWIW I have killed one 6x6 bull elk with a healed over broadhead in its shoulder, plus an old buck with an arrowhead in its chops against its spine, long healed over and encased in gristle. I’d give high probability that this bull recovered. By the time they gave up tracking him late on day 2, he was feeding, had joined a small herd, would lie down and leave hardly a trace of blood in the bed, and get up and move on long before the trackers caught up. He got up on his own, not jumped from the bed. Cut, yes. Fatal, very unlikely.

Thanks for posting. If nothing else, your post stimulated some discussion. And I've got to say from reading your posts, if the grandson didn't "fall too far from the tree" I have no doubt he's an ethical hunter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After thinking about this deal,

I have the following observations:

If you want to learn about this

As in every failure should be a learning opportunity.

You stated the grandson could tell the elk was acting like it wanted to leave.

I.E. agitated.

My suggestion is to:

1. De escalate the encounter……get small, dont move much.

2. Don’t shoot at an agitated fearful animal…..they will be prone to jump the string.

A 60 yard shot at a un alerted or unaware elk is certainly feasible.

If the animal is alerted and nervous …….

Maybe not.

Temple Granden has a lot to teach about animal behavior……

A hunter can maybe learn a lot.

Decoys for rutting elk can help.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/27/21.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WL205
Arrows are loud.

and slow.

I was proficient in the 80s to 100 yards with a bow. The old round wheel bows. LOL.

And after quite a bit of hunting decided that while I could shoot, that bad things happened often past about 15-17 steps. So I started to limit my shots even though I was capable. Didn't have an issue after that.

Its one thing to be proficient. But noise of the arrow and time of flight can get you.

Watch animals. Even relaxed calm ones. Often when a bird flies by they flinch, Caught off guard.. They have to be that way to survive.

Now go listen to and arrow coming at you. With HUMAN ears that suck. Feathers are crazy loud. Vanes quieter. Factor in that I can flinch a tiny bit hearing an arrow coming.

Just makes no sense to push the limits.

Get close. And the shot is easier, and will work to almost 100% of the time then.

I won't go on a guided bow hunt because I'll be expected to shoot X yards. I have my own limits.

And if I don't get the shot I want, which is the same with any weapon, I won't shoot.

I"m not preaching, but simply saying from experience long with noisy slow arrows is not the thing. Especially when you consider speed of sound at 1100 fps and a fast arrow at 300.. you get the idea.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495

I"m not preaching, but simply saying from experience ............

How many elk have you killed with a bow?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
60 yards = 180 feet

Average bow speed 200 FPS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
60 yards = 180 feet

Average bow speed 200 FPS

Maybe 25 years ago. It's been a long time since I have seen a bow other than a recurve or long bow shoot a hunting weight arrow that slow. Heavy aluminum arrows included.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/31/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.