Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are a hundred brands out there now to compete against Sitka,etc. I bought a jacket from Duckcamp and like it...

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have been running the German milsurp flecktarn goretex rain gear and I love it. I live in western Oregon and it rains allot. It's well built and keeps me dry, plus I really like the camo pattern.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I think I have found my extreme weather system figured out. The last two days have been brutal hunting. Single digit to low teens with 20+ miles an hour wind. I had five layers on the top. Two layer merino wool long john top, a wind proof shirt, two ragg wool sweaters. The one will zip up like a turtle neck, and for an outer layer carhartt extreme arctic bibs and a Filson double mac cruiser. The filson has a big collar that comes up pretty high. I was as warm as could be. The only problem was the outfit was pretty bulky. However, I wasn't moving around too much, so everything was fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I use some surplus Goretex West German stuff. Well built and it works fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’ve been wearing this exact same WG Goretex since the mid 90’s in nasty hunting weather. It’s held up against devils thorn, ground nettles, sticker brush and everything else bad in between.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I’ve been wearing this exact same WG Goretex since the mid 90’s in nasty hunting weather. It’s held up against devils thorn, ground nettles, sticker brush and everything else bad in between.

🦫

Pretty nice outfit. Did you get it online?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

🦫

Yes. It’s available from several retailers.

Don’t be fooled by its low cost - thinking junk.... It’s excellent gear.

German Flecktarn Rain Gear is your search.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...vzV2B2nboaBQT44rleU7PsFfpgRoCvd0QAvD_BwE

🦫

“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mackey Sagebrush/Beaver10,
Hello.
How does the sizing on the German Flecktarn stuff run?

Beaver10,
I bought the rain pants you recommended, not sure of the name, look like desert storm color, cream/beige litle olive & little bit of brown? Really like them!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Mackey Sagebrush/Beaver10,
Hello.
How does the sizing on the German Flecktarn stuff run?

Beaver10,
I bought the rain pants you recommended, not sure of the name, look like desert storm color, cream/beige litle olive & little bit of brown? Really like them!

Mike, based on my size which is 5’9” 225lbs the XL pants work perfect over Merino leggings and hunting pants. Coat I wear a 2XL, but I base layer the shît on underneath. Merino top, hunting shirt, windproof vest, coat, then waterproof jacket.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just adding information on the German Surplus Flecktarn rain gear. The Germans use a different word or maybe manufacturing process for their version of Goretex....They call it Sympatex.

What ever it is, it works great at stopping driving rain through the body of the clothing. Seams on their military gear are taped. Long side leg zippers on the pants for on/off with boots are sweet.

The biggest advantage of their gear, aside from the price, is its durability. It’s tough! I’ve spent over $500 dollars on a lightweight Sitka rain jacket that when I opened the box, it was obvious it would be shredded in a day of hunting. I sent it right back.

I probably wouldn’t put out such a strong, positive review on a piece of gear, fearing it might become so popular, that if I needed to buy more, I’d have a difficult time finding it in stock....I don’t worry about it with this equipment. I’ve bought 3 pairs of the rain pants in over 20 years. I’m on my second pair with a new one still in the closet.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

🦫

Yes. It’s available from several retailers.

Don’t be fooled by its low cost - thinking junk.... It’s excellent gear.

German Flecktarn Rain Gear is your search.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...vzV2B2nboaBQT44rleU7PsFfpgRoCvd0QAvD_BwE

🦫

Thanks Beav. Got a set of the pants ordered.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, Beaver10,

Went through my hunting stuff today, I've got 4 rain pants, I'll keep these in the old memory bank.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mackay and Beaver,
I use the German Flecktarn pants all the time, great gear and cheap. I haven't been able to locate the corresponding jacket top that is also rain proof. The one I've found is 80% cotton.
Where did you find the rainproof top?
Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Mackay and Beaver,
I use the German Flecktarn pants all the time, great gear and cheap. I haven't been able to locate the corresponding jacket top that is also rain proof. The one I've found is 80% cotton.
Where did you find the rainproof top?
Dan

Type in German Flecktarn goretex jacket or parka. You can also use sympatex instead of goretex in searching being Sympatex is German equivalent to our Goretex.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Says they are sold out, I got them to notify me when they are in stock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.