Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I shot my brown bear in the back of the head with a 7mag. Dropped her like a hammer. Use what ya got and go kill the damn thing.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wouldn't choose the ELD-X for brown bear.
The 200 grain partition and A-frame are solid choices

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My thoughts

30-06 in 700 BDL 22" barrel and am quite familiar with it.

200gr Hunting Bullets:

Number #1 Monometal, in Barnes, Hornady, Nosler flavor. 180 or 200gr

??? Federal Terminal Ascent - Have not read enough, or have any actual experience with this bullet.

2. Swift A-Frame
2. Nosler Partition

3. Nosler Accubond

xxx Hornady ELD-X
xxx Speer Hot Core
xxx Norma Oryx

Arcus Venator
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You hear guides bashing every caliber!!

Knowledgeable guides aren't bashing any specific "caliber" (meaning cartridge) but the hunters who typically can't shoot a new-to-them, hard-kicking "caliber" accurately. Which is exactly what Phil was doing, and my outfitter acquaintance in the Bob Marshall.

They're also bashing the claims from many "magnum" fans that only a certain minimum, magic level of caliber/velocity/energy/bullet-weight is adequate (or sometimes "fully adequate") for certain big game animals. This is often what convinces some newbie elk or brown bear hunter who already owns and has hunted plenty with, say, a .30-06, that they MUST use a far more powerful cartridge, or the elk or bear won't die.

I know part of this due to having guided some myself here in Montana. Quite a few hunters on their first pronghorn or mule deer hunt decided they needed some sort of belted magnum, usually a 7mm or .30 caliber, to kill pronghorns and mule deer at "long range." Long range to many of my guidees was anything beyond 200-250 yards--as far as they'd shot anything back home.

So they bought a new magnum despite owning a very familiar .243 or .270 or .308 Winchester they'd already killed a pile of whitetails with. Often they wouldn't shoot the new MAGNUM enough before going on the hunt, because it kicked too much or the ammo was expensive. As a result they flinched enough to be unable to zero the rifle adequately.

This may seem impossible to many manly magnum fans, but have seen it many times, both while guiding and when hunting big game in various places around the world. One was a guy who brought a new 7mm Remington Magnum on a pronghorn hunt, leaving a .243 he'd killed plenty of whitetails with back home. Another was a European guy who'd hunted Stone sheep and caribou successfully with his 7x64 Mauser in British Columbia, killing both with one shot--but when he decided to hunt moose with the same outfitter a couple years later bought a .300 Winchester Magnum, because moose were so much bigger. He grouped three shots in about 18" at 100 yards during the pre-hunt sight-in in camp, and not only took several shots to kill a moose, but several to kill another caribou.

I just wrote an article about this very problem-- in 35 years guiding big game hunters I dont ever remember wishing my hunter had more horsepower, I do remember wishing for more accuracy, many many times.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'd say the 22 is the minimum

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never been an "official" guide, but have taken plenty of people out hunting over the last 30 plus years. Turkeys, deer, antelope, and elk.

This statement is spot on.
I don't ever remember wishing my hunter had more horsepower, I do remember wishing for more accuracy, many many times.

Another quote that I read somewhere "Shot placement relegates all other ballistic discussions to secondary importance."

I have done mostly DIY hunts over the years.

But have also done some guided hunts. One of the first things I always tell my guide is the that my main responsibility as a client/hunter is to put the bullet in the right place.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just because you shoot a magnum doesn't mean you are a poor shot.. Two of the best game shots I ever saw shot magnums, but one also killed deer with a .22 and everything in between and up to a .458 .. He loved rifles. You have to shoot to shoot a magnum well, but my first wife never shot much target.. I usually had her 7mm mag. shot in and she made some fine shots with it. But you have to know how to shoot first. The worst crippler of game I ever saw from antelope to elk shot .243's and 6mm's..
This last fall my pals daughter killed two elk both cows. The first she shot with a 6mm and 90 gr. BTBT. The second was another cow at longer distance she took it with an Accumark .300 Wea. This gal can shoot. She has been shooting since she was able to squeeze the trigger. I have been told by many guides if you can shoot it, the ,300 is tops.. If you can't the use what you can shoot accurately..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I just did a quick check of 10 Alaska brown bear guides. Their recommendations were:
1. 30-06
1..300wm or 375 H & H
2. 375 H & H
6. 338wm and up

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It seems to me it would be whatever you and your guide agree on. I'd be OK with a 30-06 and 200 grain Nosler Partitions, although I have a .338 Win Mag and might choose that with 225 grain TTSX or 250 grain Nosler Partitions. It's mostly a matter of personal preference, which is why we see wildly divergent opinions.

I've never hunted brown bears, although I've seen them when hiking in Alaska, so my opinion is mostly based on what I've read, and experiences hunting other species. I have hunted dangerous game in Africa, so that gives me a little concept of might be involved mentally, but I don't claim any expertise on this subject.

I'm simply stating my personal preferences based on limited knowledge and experience.

Last edited by bowmanh; 12/26/21.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I just did a quick check of 10 Alaska brown bear guides. Their recommendations were:
1. 30-06
1..300wm or 375 H & H
2. 375 H & H
6. 338wm and up

Look at the information on the Alaska Fish and Game website. It's about as good of advice as you will get. The right gun is the one you shoot best. Period. Magnums are not needed. Period. Nothing wrong with them either, if you can shoot them. I couldnt begin to tell you how many bull moose and grizzly bears Ive seen killed quite handily with a 30-30 Winchester. I've personally killed 4 woods bison now. One at 300 yards with a 338 federal. Seeing that the bison are the largest heaviest boned animals in the country I reckon that stretched out 308 will work for about anything.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I did look at it and felt what the guides recommended was also important. Chances are the information in a government agency was written by a paper pusher who has never been in the field. I am sure lots of game has been killed with the .30-30. Here guys used to hunt elk with it. Not because it is what was best, but what they had. One of my older friends told me he hunted deer a couple years with a .25-20 because that was all he had at the time. Later he used the .243 through the 7mm Wea. Several of my friends in S.D. shot bison with .22-250s. Hit them in the ear. It will do the job, but like the Indian woman who killed a grizzly with a.22 short. That is what she had. Doesn't make it the best. I realize you are in a different situation than the sport coming to Alaska for brown bear. It doesn't cost you 30-40,000 dollars for a big bear hunt. If I were going, I would probably take a .340 or .375. But I can shoot them and shoot them well. Doesn't mean everyone can. What works under one set of conditions doesn't mean it is ideal.

Molon Labe
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I did look at it and felt what the guides recommended was also important. Chances are the information in a government agency was written by a paper pusher who has never been in the field. I am sure lots of game has been killed with the .30-30. Here guys used to hunt elk with it. Not because it is what was best, but what they had. One of my older friends told me he hunted deer a couple years with a .25-20 because that was all he had at the time. Later he used the .243 through the 7mm Wea. Several of my friends in S.D. shot bison with .22-250s. Hit them in the ear. It will do the job, but like the Indian woman who killed a grizzly with a.22 short. That is what she had. Doesn't make it the best. I realize you are in a different situation than the sport coming to Alaska for brown bear. It doesn't cost you 30-40,000 dollars for a big bear hunt. If I were going, I would probably take a .340 or .375. But I can shoot them and shoot them well. Doesn't mean everyone can. What works under one set of conditions doesn't mean it is ideal.

You wouldnt get any arguments from me on your choices. Both are great cartridges. Back in the day when I was a young fella I filled two mule deer buck tags in one day with a 25-20. I believe the "Jordan" buck was killed with that cartridge as well.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
254, thanks, I really enjoy your posts.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno how big coastal brown bears get in SE Alaska, but they can get pretty big even south of there. This bear was killed by Grancel Fitz (the first guy to take what at the time were considered ALL the species of big game in North America), in British Columbia not all that far north of the U.S. border. The skull's B&C score of 25-9/16 tied the B&C world record at that time. The rifle Fitz used on all his hunts was Griffin & Howe .30-06, built on a Remington Model 30 action with a 2-3/4X Hensoldt scope. He also used factory ammo on all his hunts, on this one 220-grain Core-Lokt Remingtons, back when the jackets were very heavy.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
To say nothing of Judge Folta in Juneau who killed a pile of them with a .35 Remington.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'd say the 22 is the minimum

https://survivalcommonsense.com/world-record-grizzly-killed-with-22-caliber-rifle/

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
To say nothing of Judge Folta in Juneau who killed a pile of them with a .35 Remington.

Yep--until he "moved up" to the .30-06....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Carried a 257 Ackley for a few years, saw a large interior Brown Bear across a wide flooded creek, think I was in more danger from the creek than the bear with the 257 Ackley. Whatever rifle you have, you better be confident in your shooting ability.

Would I go on a Big Brown bear hunt with the 257 AI not on purpose but that's all I had at that time. A 06 and up with the right bullets will work fine just shoot well!

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/26/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
As large as you can comfortably and accurately shoot. I'd be weary of anything less than a 30-06 although I know a guy that has successfully hunted with a 270win for many years. I've taken 2, both with a 338wm and partitions.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bowmanh
It seems to me it would be whatever you and your guide agree on. I'd be OK with a 30-06 and 200 grain Nosler Partitions, although I have a .338 Win Mag and might choose that with 225 grain TTSX or 250 grain Nosler Partitions. It's mostly a matter of personal preference, which is why we see wildly divergent opinions.

I've never hunted brown bears, although I've seen them when hiking in Alaska, so my opinion is mostly based on what I've read, and experiences hunting other species. I have hunted dangerous game in Africa, so that gives me a little concept of might be involved mentally, but I don't claim any expertise on this subject.

I'm simply stating my personal preferences based on limited knowledge and experience.

Having seen 338 win mag at 250 partitions on moose they could be about my last choice of bullets for bears.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.