Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s nice to have all of these remedies available but I’ve got the Talley lightweight rings holding my Zeiss HD5 on an old Vanguard 300 Weatherby going on 7 years a few hundred miles of NW Colorado oak brush, trees & rocks still holding zero. Two shots - one elk 1 deer about 40 miles of brush trees & crap taking the finish off scope & rifle - maximum loads of IMR 4350 pushing 180 grain Barnes about 3200 FPS. This & 3 other 300 rifle varieties with different scopes no issues.

My Dual dovetail mounts held when my son dropped my favorite 7 mag directly on the Leupold 4.5-14x50 bell from about 5’. Unfortunately the scope didn’t fare as well. I’ll check in next week but likely going back for repair. Shot 1 ragged hole before the drop.

It’s nice when stuff keeps working

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by pullit
I have bedded bases for years and lapped rings but never bedded the scope. Something new to look at.

Early on, I'd bed the scope I was going to use in the rings. As things evolved, I began mic'ing scope tubes and found that 1" tubes ran the gamut from .995 to 1.003. I've since settled on bedding the lapping bar. If you do this and use a bedding compound that isn't too 'hard' (relative term), the scopes rings become universal for any scopes in that family of tube size. That's why AcraGlas Gel is my go-to for bedding rings.

The late Norman E. Johnson put me on to checking tube diameters. At first I was skeptical but after checking a couple dozen I found out he was correct. Norm was one of the first guys doing this and writing about it. His work on this and also on properly bedding the action was very, very helpful to a young guy like me looking for guidance.

Good shootin'. -Al

Al.
Thanks for all the advice and demonstration in this thread. I was following your instructions to the letter on a SS M70 .270 WSM that I was swapping the mounts for Leupold Backcountry. The bases looked like they were a good fit, but I bedded them per your instructions, and it turned out they were really not in good contact at all, only touching at a couple of "strips" on each base. From now on I will plan to bed them all.
I lapped the lower rings, as I knew they were both tilted towards the center of the receiver from previous measurements of the receiver and shimming previous bases. I was about to bed the rings using the Wheeler lapping bar, as you advised, but decided to measure it first. Though my scope was spot on 30mm at 1.181", the lapping bar was .006" under this, and I was afraid it would make too tight of a fit. I throw this out as advice that everyone ought to measure the scope and the bar in making their decision. Given my disparity, with a bit of trepidation, I spread some release agent on my scope and pushed it into the Acraglas Gel. Since it lacked the weight of the lapping bar, I added a couple rubber bands to keep just a little pressure on it while the glass cured. It turned out fine, with the rear base just perfect, but I suppose I did not press the forward one down hard enough as I had thicker cured gel here, and a little bit of a void. I went ahead and cleaned everything up and mounted the scope. Do you think this'll be OK? Take a look at the last attached picture. Looked pretty well supported overall so I let it be.

Thanks again,
Rex

Attached Images
IMG_5976c.JPG (21.92 KB, 494 downloads)
IMG_5989c.JPG (28.32 KB, 498 downloads)
IMG_5990c.JPG (34.08 KB, 498 downloads)
IMG_5991c.JPG (34.8 KB, 503 downloads)
IMG_6009c.JPG (27.22 KB, 500 downloads)
Last edited by TRexF16; 12/27/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There's few things more "HORRIFYING!" than a "dreaded" "mark" upon one's scope tube. Give or fhuqking take. Hint.

Over a decade ago, you posted [aka NOBODY] about ring lapping and lap dancing.

I believe no one changes their mind through facts or analogies. But fear or being laughed at CAN move the needle.

To make fun of them, enter their frame of reference and embrace it in a ridiculous way. You have done that.

All I can offer is my calculation about 30-06 recoil force on scope mass meets the low coefficient of friction when oil gets between the receiver and scope base.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maynard Beuhler took minute scope tube diameter differences into account when he designed his shimmed scope rings.

I suspect Beuhlers design was well before the writer that wrote about it Al.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Was it Big stick that said "Man can not live by lapping bar alone...."

The line up bars with the sharp little points will show you more than the lap dancer.

Oil...

Wonder if that same oil over time degrades the little smear of bedding compound they're putting between their scope rings and bases.....

Damn if you do damned if you don't.

Most ring marks are caused by improper scope mounting....I suspect Big Stick knew all that.

Hint......hint...hint....

Hint

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You are an idiot

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jim Sweet should have coached you on manners....

Punk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
The line up bars with the sharp little points will show you more than the lap dancer.

I used to think this too, then I learned that the two line-up bars with their sharp points can be out of alignment in angle and the points will still line up. This is especially important when using them for their original purpose, "turning in" the front ring on Redfield Jr style bases (or both rings on Dual Dovetail bases).
Think about it - if the rear ring (the one with the windage adjustments on a JR/SR-type base) is not perfectly aligned with the bore, and you mount the one bar in it, then turn in the front ring until the second bar's points line up, that doesn't do anything to insure the two bars are parallel and aligned. In fact, if the rear ring is centered over the bore but misaligned off bore axis, the front ring has to be equally misaligned in the opposite direction for the two tips to line up. If the rear ring is aligned with the bore in angle but offset to the left or right because the windage screws are not perfectly centered, the front ring has to be misaligned in angle to the opposite side of the rear ring's offset.
I think it was Mule Deer who pointed out in one of the GG chapters that it's really better to use the flat ends of the bars for aligning turn-in rings, as at least then you can see that the flats are parallel, meaning the two bars are also parallel. Having set that, then the rear base can be adjusted left or right until the two bars are aligned.
But regardless, I don't think anything will indicate misalignment better than a single known-straight bar of the right diameter laid into both rings. Take a look at the attached: If I had clamped two pointy alignment bars into these Leupold Backcountry bases after they were bedded and torqued down, the points would have lined up fine, even though both bars were misaligned by a small bit in angle - in this case, both sloping slightly "downward" towards a point between the two bases. But two strokes of the lapping bar showed (as I already knew from having to shim the previous bases) that both ends of this receiver have a slight slope towards the middle. The pointy tips of line-up bars would not have shown that.

Respectfully,
Rex

Attached Images
IMG_5982c.JPG (26.98 KB, 384 downloads)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

One note - after you bed Correctly, the screws should abruptly come to a stop vs tensioning up over 10-30 degrees of turn. This occurs because you have taken the “crush” or compression factor out of the contact points.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

One note - after you bed Correctly, the screws should abruptly come to a stop vs tensioning up over 10-30 degrees of turn. This occurs because you have taken the “crush” or compression factor out of the contact points.

I noticed that. Thanks for the point-out. If I had not measured its depth, it would have been easy to misinterpret this as the front-most screw bottoming on the barrel threads.
Rex

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Al,

Thanks for all the advice and demonstration in this thread. I was following your instructions to the letter on a SS M70 .270 WSM that I was swapping the mounts for Leupold Backcountry. The bases looked like they were a good fit, but I bedded them per your instructions, and it turned out they were really not in good contact at all, only touching at a couple of "strips" on each base. From now on I will plan to bed them all.
I lapped the lower rings, as I knew they were both tilted towards the center of the receiver from previous measurements of the receiver and shimming previous bases. I was about to bed the rings using the Wheeler lapping bar, as you advised, but decided to measure it first. Though my scope was spot on 30mm at 1.181", the lapping bar was .006" under this, and I was afraid it would make too tight of a fit. I throw this out as advice that everyone ought to measure the scope and the bar in making their decision. Given my disparity, with a bit of trepidation, I spread some release agent on my scope and pushed it into the Acraglas Gel. Since it lacked the weight of the lapping bar, I added a couple rubber bands to keep just a little pressure on it while the glass cured. It turned out fine, with the rear base just perfect, but I suppose I did not press the forward one down hard enough as I had thicker cured gel here, and a little bit of a void. I went ahead and cleaned everything up and mounted the scope. Do you think this'll be OK? Take a look at the last attached picture. Looked pretty well supported overall so I let it be.

Thanks again, Rex

Rex, it looks like you've done a fine job. smile

You pic of the base bottoms show just how precious little contact there was between the base and receiver. wink

A little bit of a void isn't something I'd worry about. Even with a bit of a void, you'll have a better quality contact area than if you hadn't bedded. If you feel the urge to make it perfect, don't try to fill in the void as you'll end up with high spots. Best to take it out completely and redo it, if you want to go that way.

For some reason (likely ease of material availability) most commercially available 30MM lapping bars measure smaller than 1.181 crazy. I made my 30mm bar from 1.187 stainless round stock and it's stayed at 1.181 after many lapping jobs. If yours is a bit small, just wrap a piece of high quality painters tape around it before setting it in the epoxy...that tape measures about .005 thick. Wax the tape to seal it and the wax will also act as the release agent. Measuring scope tubes can be revealing!

As you've discovered, a well done bedding job on the bases and rings acts just like a well done pillar bedding job on a stock. The screws come up to 'tight' right now. Nothing stretching or twisting and trying to conform...it's 'there' right away.

Well done, sir! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Al, thanks for this thread. The time and effort you put into posting this is very much appreciated by a novice like myself.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For some reason (likely ease of material availability) most commercially available 30MM lapping bars measure smaller than 1.181 crazy.

First, great info. Thanks Al and others.

Let me throw this out there. How much does the thickness of the lapping compound add to the circumference of the bar? Could the reason they are slightly undersized be because they are taking the addition of lapping compound into consideration?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FWP

You're welcome, sir.

Originally Posted by FWP
Let me throw this out there. How much does the thickness of the lapping compound add to the circumference of the bar? Could the reason they are slightly undersized be because they are taking the addition of lapping compound into consideration?

Possibly. I'm sure that the 1" bars measure closer simply because of material availability in that size. Either way, it's not a biggie when it comes to lapping because, as you correctly point out, the compound adds thickness anyway. The only issue is if you want to use the lapping bar as the 'slave' scope tube for bedding. But that's no deal breaker and there are multiple end runs around that small issue. smile That's where a compound like AcraGlas Gel works so well for tube bedding (having a small amount of conformity) rather than a hard compound like JB Weld, etc.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FWP

You're welcome, sir.

Originally Posted by FWP

Possibly. I'm sure that the 1" bars measure closer simply because of material availability in that size. Either way, it's not a biggie when it comes to lapping because, as you correctly point out, the compound adds thickness anyway. The only issue is if you want to use the lapping bar as the 'slave' scope tube for bedding. But that's no deal breaker and there are multiple end runs around that small issue. smile That's where a compound like AcraGlas Gel works so well for tube bedding (having a small amount of conformity) rather than a hard compound like JB Weld, etc.

Good shootin' -Al

If using the actual scope instead of the bar for bedding in the rings, is there any issue with using those harder compounds like JB Weld or Devcon?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Al:

Am I reading it correct that you oil the mount screws before turning them into the action?

Torque values are calculated with lubed threads.

No, I just mounted a Vortex scope last week and the manual said that the specs were for dry screws and that you would need to reduce the torque if using lubricant.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
If using the actual scope instead of the bar for bedding in the rings, is there any issue with using those harder compounds like JB Weld or Devcon?

In general, they seem to be a bit harder on the scope finish, with the quality/thickness of the finish being the biggest variable.

I'm a 'functional' type of guy so a few character marks doesn't bother me. One of my test scopes looks like a family of those Duluth Trading angry beavers gnawed on it. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your reply, Al. I had an epiphany after doing the job that I should have just wrapped a single layer of that wide clear packing tape around my lapping bar, and it would have been perfect. Clear tape versus masking tape due to the smooth finish on the clear tape versus the bumpy texture of the masking tape. I'm going to shoot the rifle tomorrow and see If things improved. Because the rear base ended up being nothing but a skim coat of AG Gel, and the front base had a thicker layer since it didn't get squeezed out as well, I calculate I lost 6-8 MOA of vertical range due to the minor tilt up of the scope in the rings now. If I had been using the lapping bar to bed the rings, I think I would have been more willing to press harder to get good squeeze out. So maybe I will redo it, but not until shooting tomorrow.

Thanks again for the guidance,
Rex

Attached Images
IMG_6007c.JPG (31.03 KB, 245 downloads)
IMG_6008c.JPG (28.15 KB, 244 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more question for Al (and others).
It looks like you do not normally bed the top half of the rings - is that right?

Thanks,
Rex

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.