Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16773301 12/28/21
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a snow squall come through yesterday evening. It was the first time the Utah weather service has issued a Snow Squall Warning over the phone alert system, and boy were they ever right to do so! That thing hit with incredible ferocity. Imagine the impact of a rapid thunderstorm rain front, but with snow. Huge flakes zinging horizontally in a whiteout. Too windy to accumulate much, but boy howdy was it heavy coming down. Temps abruptly dropped 20 degrees, too.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got that yesterday and had never seen that alert on my phone. It got real interesting around here for awhile. Glad I wasn’t out driving around in it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I told my wife the same thing last night Rocky- yet down here in Sandy it was really nothing. Up your way sure can get raunchy and fast, ha! Glad you and yours are OK Pard...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

prob didn't slow the drivers down much on I 15........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got right at 4 inches in just over an hour in Draper last night, complete chit show driving home from work last night.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For what we didn’t get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day it sure has made up for it in the last two days.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, probably not. We traditionally go visit our Salt Lake City daughter on Boxing Day. This year, wife and I left the house at noon with bare streets. By the time we got to I-15 only five miles away, the lanes were coated with ice and there was a direct cross wind of at least 25 mph. Could probably have crawled the 50 miles to her house, but my better sense said that the drive back home again would be more sporty than I wanted to tackle. I made it to the second exit before going back home. And yes, there were some drivers still blasting along at 70+.

That storm front wasn't nearly as violent as last night's squall.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They got some wind up in Shoshone, daughter says her place is closer to Pocatello than it was.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yeah truly zero visibility on the east bench of slc. I've been in blizzards in CO and UT but this for a short time was the least visibility in a snow storm I've ever seen. If you were driving you would have to stop so this warning is pretty cool.

Last edited by MtnHiker; 12/28/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here’s what it looked like just before it hit our place.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WOW. Great picture by the way.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in the north end of Cache valley we had pretty stout southwest wind all day and then it spun towards the north and dumped 4-6 inches of powder. The worst visibility I have ever experienced has been in Sardine canyon on a few occasions, the only thing I could see was the divider/barrier using only my fog lights to be able to see it. It cracks me up when people move here and ask "if it's so bad, why don't they close it" my answer is; this is Utah, if you want to give it a go they'll let you.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

Great photo!!

I never had a "snow squall" alert on the phone but I did have a tornado alert one time while dove hunting. There were 3 of us and we all got the alert at the same time. I looked to my left just in time to see a tornado drop out of the clouds towards the ground and lift back up. The storm was heading in our direction. We made it to cover and the tornado never touched down again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
they have become more protectionist around here lately. the last major storm they canceled school for a couple weeks ago only snowed about 6 inches. ie an average storm in an average winter. then this snow squall thing. you could see the thing coming from miles away. its like duh that thing looks serious, try to get where you are going quickly if you can. I thought it was overhyped.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We got our first snow squall alert three or four days ago. Mine and my wife's phone in stereo at 3:30am. Wasn't amused.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

didn't get anything like that here......still plenty of winter to go around for every buddy this year----

https://www.ksl.com/article/5031900...-produced-a-new-type-of-warning-for-utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

We were living in our camper in Evanston, Wyoming, while visiting relatives since last Wednesday! As of last evening around 18:30 hrs. my wife had received 2 of those warnings on her cell phone! We had never heard of such! Kinda nice if you needed to prepare for it.

We left this morning headed for home.....it appeared that we had about about a 24 hour window of nice weather to tow our camper home! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in utah county for the “Squall”. I hope it was a lot worse than what I saw. We got the warning too. I’ve seen worse conditions in a snow globe. 😀

I thought it was good. It’s the only time I’ve passed Utahns on I-15. Usually I’m going 80 and still getting passed by 75% of them. Those folks finally slowed down.

I don’t think our school would have canceled recess for that.

😆

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very Cool Pic! Thanks!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I was in utah county for the “Squall”. I hope it was a lot worse than what I saw. We got the warning too. I’ve seen worse conditions in a snow globe. 😀

I thought it was good. It’s the only time I’ve passed Utahns on I-15. Usually I’m going 80 and still getting passed by 75% of them. Those folks finally slowed down.

I don’t think our school would have canceled recess for that.

😆

UHP has written a record number of 100+ mph tickets this year

We have no 100 mph roads in Utah

Driving I-15 through the Wasatch Front on a daily basis is a risky commute

Some people are fuggin crazy.....

https://kutv.com/news/local/uhp-119...rs-in-4-days-as-speeding-trend-continues

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.