Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if a mechanical broadhead makes a louder whack sound than a cut on contact broadhead

BP-B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yep. I heard the 'thump'

Kent

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I heard my Heart Pounding!

Yeah, I do remember the thump!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I always hear it. It’s a cool sound. It’s even louder when you shoot a big ole boar feral hog. Most hogs let out a squeal when hit, too.

I like it when they squeal!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
lol

Kinda reminds me of my old Girl Friend

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
i usually hear a Thwack type of sound especially if i hit the bone.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sure did and still do...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Very much so. Hit forward right in the neck, broadhead stuck in the vertebrae. DRT.

When she fell it snapped the ferrule off right at the insert. I had that vertebrae with the broadhead stuck in it for years and then it was lost.

Hoyt Bow Bullet 145 grain, 31" Easton XX75 2317. Clearwater Powermag compound pulling just over 80#.

Used to use an Elite GT500 with 90 pound limbs, 31" 2219 arrows with 145gr (if I remember right) Bone Busters sharp enough to shave with. Never didn't have a complete pass through on deer or black bear. Those days are definately over now though. With the arthritis I earned for 40 plus years in electrical construction, I'm starting to look at crossbows even though I just bought a new Elite EnKore this past summer. But it's only got 60 pound limbs on it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I did not hear the arrow hit my first deer (Doe). It went between the ribs on entry. Double lung shot, nicked a rib on exit. I have heard many since. It was a long time ago, 1977. My first bow was a Jennings model T 50 lb pull. 2018 Gamegetters with 100gr wasp broadheads. I missed the first Deer I ever shot at a few years before. It was a Nice 8 point Buck. I was new to bow hunting. He walked in to about 25 yds. I started to draw and he Stopped looked straight up at me. I froze at mid draw. He just stared at me. He pawed the ground trying to get me to move. It seemed like our eyes were locked on each others for 5 minutes, but it was probably more like 30-45 seconds. Any way, he had enough of me and bolted. As he lept away I let the arrow fly. It went right over his back. That image is burned into my memory. I learned a lot about bow hunting that day. The hard way. Sometimes thats the best way to learn. Never got busted on a draw since.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I heard it this year for sure. It was a loud noise and I was afraid I would lose the deer. It ran 40yds and piled up after getting hit hard in the shoulder. Muzzys are truly bad to the bone!

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My first doe was at 42 yards. Loud "wack" when the broadhead hit. Hit her a little higher than I planned but she jumped a little and fell straight to the ground. Didnt have to track her at all.

My theory has been from the beginning is that the only reason she didn't run is because she was old but I remember being very surprised at how loud the smack was when it hit her

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nope, but I do remember how excited I was to shoot my first deer with a bow. Now I feel like I’m on auto pilot.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Yeh, cool sound, look forward to it every year.

If you aren't winning, you better be learning !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, never forgotten sound. Blacktail doe in the rain in 1965, cedar arrow, two blade Bear Razorhead, an ancient Ben Pearson lemon wood semi-recurve bow. The razor sharp arrow sliced in behind the last rib angling forward and made a distinctive quick and short sound of slicing/cutting meat. My hunting partner killed another doe 30 seconds later, and his arrow hit bone to add a clear “chink” sound to the meat cutting.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My firs time the buck was at 7 yards and I was on the ground with him. I had rattled him in at the edge of a cattail slough. He spun to take off just as I released the arrow from my noisy Browning bow. I remember the noise of the bow and him snapping frozen cattail stocks but don’t think I heard the arrow hit home in very much the wrong spot.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have poked six with the crossbow I bought in 2018. Used three-blade Muzzies on all of them. Makes a loud, hollow pop. This year’s was especially loud. All chest shots, so no big bones involved.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It was 43 years ago, and no, I did not hear it.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Remember it like it was yesterday. There’s really no other sound to rival the impact.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was 14, shooting a Darton Tracer 55 (still have it) pulling 50# and flinging a 27” Easton xx78 with a 90 grain Puckett’s Bloodtrailer 4-blade.

Shot a doe at 17 yards from a 8’ home-made wooden ladder stand. She was slightly quartered to me. Arrow entered just behind the shoulder and exited in front of the hind quarter.

I vividly remember climbing down, walking to the spot and finding my arrow laying on the ground, I recall thinking “holy cow I actually got her”. I waited about 30 minutes and started tracking, I can still see the blood trail. It wasn’t a lot of blood but was easy to follow to where she laid about 75 yards from the shot.

I remember thinking she may not be big enough and nervous what my dad would think. Dad had taken me that morning and he just went to his stand and sat with a camera while I hunted. I walked across the 160 to his stand and told him I got one. He was really excited and to my relief not at all concerned about it’s size. He was more excited than me when I took him to her.

No, I don’t recall hearing the arrow hit, I do remember that I watched her run off and when she disappeared I realized I was still holding my bow up and my release hand at my face.

Last edited by WL205; 12/29/21.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My first archery deer was a little six point that kept coming and standing directly under my tree stand. I was 17' up and passed him several times during the day, but finally couldn't resist. He was straight down, I mean the arrow like a plumb line almost off the rest. Arrow passed between his shoulder blades, through his heart, and stopped on the inside of his sternum with a loud halloween-pumpkin-getting-smashed thump. His short sprint ended with him cartwheeling spectacularly; think he died at a dead run. The sound of that crash is also in my indelibly etched in my memory.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.