Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Heard about one dumbass in Montana went elk hunting with a 7-08 rifle and 22-250 ammo and he and his guide chased elk in their truck. Complete dumbass, not the partial kind.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I finally saw it… .

Aw, man, I thought this was gonna be another Bigfoot thread. blush

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My grandpa brought back a Type 38 from the war. Many years ago I went to the LGS and asked for some 6.5 Jap. Was told, condescendingly, that I meant 6.5 Swede. Have not set foot in there since.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 12/29/21. Reason: Typo

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The year I planned on having my new wife shoot her first Dall ram with a .45 Seneca, I learned it's best to be sure one has the powder along.

She had to shoot her ram with a .270, instead, at 35 yards.

On my first sheep hunt (solo) 3 years before (same place), I ran into two scruffy guys decked out in new LLBean Safari outfits, carrying brand new .300 Weatherby's. I figured them for drug dealers, who had just scored big, decided they were hunters, and hit a gun store....

They asked what I was carrying and I said ".243" Remington 700"

"Huh. I never heard of that!"

"Well, I gotta go now!" smile

We were 6 miles in, on an 18 mile OW trek to the sheep mountain, and they were coming back, having failed to navigate around a peak in between at 11 mile. They tried to sidehill around it, instead of following the heavily used game trail up the spur ridge and over. 1,000 foot elevation rise was just too much, for someone dumber than a caribou.

Damned near killed me packing my full curl over that thing in one load, so maybe they were smarter than I at that.... Three times in 3 successive years, including our honeymoon.

I wish I was young enough to do it again! The hunt- not the forgetting the powder. I can probably still do that if I concentrate.

Last edited by las; 12/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
The year I planned on having my new wife shoot her first Dall ram with a .45 Seneca, I learned it's best to be sure one has the powder along.

She had to shoot her ram with a .270, instead, at 35 yards.

On my first sheep hunt (solo) 3 years before (same place), I ran into two scruffy guys decked out in new LLBean Safari outfits, carrying brand new .300 Weatherby's. I figured them for drug dealers, who had just scored big, decided they were hunters, and hit a gun store....

They asked what I was carrying and I said ".243" Remington 700"

"Huh. I never heard of that!"

"Well, I gotta go now!" smile

We were 6 miles in, on an 18 mile OW trek to the sheep mountain, and they were coming back, having failed to navigate around a peak in between at 11 mile. They tried to sidehill around it, instead of following the heavily used game trail up the spur ridge and over. 1,000 foot elevation rise was just too much, for someone dumber than a caribou.

Damned near killed me packing my full curl over that thing in one load, so maybe they were smarter than I at that.... Three times in 3 successive years, including our honeymoon.

I wish I was young enough to do it again! The hunt- not the forgetting the powder. I can probably still do that if I concentrate.

laugh laugh

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
..., I overheard the counter guy explaining to a guy that the problem was he was trying to use.308 ammo in a .30-06.

And in reply why do I hear this in my head?

"Maaan, my stupid friend that reloads told me 308 and 30-06 use the same bullets. What a dumbazz".

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shared this in the past but again -

The best I head was a gentleman asking the counter guy for advice. Wanted a deer rifle but also something for game "out west some day".

Counter guy - "This is a 7-08. It's a 7mm Remington Magnum necked down to 308 and it will knock a moose on its ass at 1000 yards"

The comments are on both sides of the counter I'm sure and while I've become a huge proponent of the 708 as I got older, it's not a 1000 yard moose cartridge and it certainly is a trick to go DOWN from .284 to .308 - cartridge length aside.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
I've shared this in the past but again -

The best I head was a gentleman asking the counter guy for advice. Wanted a deer rifle but also something for game "out west some day".

Counter guy - "This is a 7-08. It's a 7mm Remington Magnum necked down to 308 and it will knock a moose on its ass at 1000 yards"

The comments are on both sides of the counter I'm sure and while I've become a huge proponent of the 708 as I got older, it's not a 1000 yard moose cartridge and it certainly is a trick to go DOWN from .284 to .308 - cartridge length aside.

I had a counter monkey tell me that the 22LR was the highest pressure of any cartridge. I was literally speechless.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I mentioned recently on another thread, the afternoon a high school friend pulled up to shoot the bull with a bunch of us hanging out downtown and had his SMLE in the car with him. On the dash he had boxes of .303 British and .303 Savage ammo.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One I have told here before... Local WalMart gun guru (used to have tables at lots of gun shows) was answering a guy looking for a leftie 338WM. With a nod and a knowing wink guru tells him he can order one for him. "And as long as you are ordering you should look at the .340Weatherby because it might not sound like much but the extra two thousandths makes a huge difference!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
The worst tha has happened to me was just a few things. I was told a .243 WIn Was not enough for deer and needed a 7-08 from the gun store counter guy. However, one time, I did find a 30-06 bullet in my hunting jacket when I was hunting with my .270Win. I later decided to just sell the 30-06. However, I went to shoot my muzzleloader last year and forgot my ramrod, does that count as a dumb a$$?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've shared this before too but my buddy once made a mistake while sighting in 2 rifles at the same time. Touched off the 270 and somehow instantly knew he'd screwed up. There was another hole in the paper at 100 yards but when he opened the bolt, a very strange piece of brass popped out on the table. He'd fired a .308 Win. round through the .270 Winchester! Both the shooter and the rifle seemed to survive the mistake unharmed. Something to learn from. Keep your ammo and rifles well sorted at the range!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a guy bring in a new savage 25-06 he fired a 308 out of. I got the brass out of it and extractor was broken.

Had another guy come in this week with a BAR in 270 with bolt stuck. I tapped it out with a cleaning rod and it was a live 6.5 creedmoor

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Young gang banger at the LGS one day looking for ammo to his Glock 22.

I offered to help him in my natural help-a-fella-out kinda way.

Showed him where it said 22 on the gun...

Took him over to the 22LR section... and told him about all the types... lead, Match for super accuracy (able to fix a bad shot), rat shot.

Laid it on thicker and heavier as I went.

Guys at the counter were dying.

I know for certain that I saved lives that day.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Keep em coming.

The only stupid thing I've heard lately was an unscrupulous table monkey at a gun show trying to sell a single action revolver to someone who never owned a gun before during the covid gun shortage. The potential buyer said he preferred a semi-auto for defensive use inside his home.

The idiot seller told him, it's single action, but you can always FAN the hammer like the gunfighters!"

Last edited by skfullen; 12/29/21.

The original Frito Bandito!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Heard about one dumbass in Montana went elk hunting with a 7-08 rifle and 22-250 ammo and he and his guide chased elk in their truck. Complete dumbass, not the partial kind.

Maybe if he a had a Savage 99 with a badazz purple Rhinoliner spray job... the story would have been different?

Your thoughts please... they matter so very much.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buddy's Dad walked 4 days in Newfoundland on the bogs and finally stalked the moose he wanted to shoot. Tried like heck to get the bolt closed. 06 shell would NOT chamber in his .270 luckily. He DID get the Moose, shooting his hunting partner's left hand bolt action .340 Wby.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of these stories surprise me. 99% of people don't know Jack squat about guns, just ask them. The only surprise is that more people don't blow their own face/head/assorted parts off doing something wrong with firearms.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I saw the “gun guy” that works the counter at our local Murdocks store sell a guy four boxes of 300 Norma magnum ammo. The purchaser wanted to be sure it was 300 win mag ammo just produced by Norma. The “gun guy” replied “there’s no such thing as a 300 Norma magnum”

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Choosing a handgun to take to Maine on our annual deer hunt, I grabbed S&W 357, a box of handloads for rabbits if I scored a deer early, then on a whim I decided to grab a box of factory full house loads. Took a box or Winchesters off the top shelf and stuffed it in my ammo bag. Imagine my surprise unpacking to find I'd grabbed 351SL. No harm, but a reminder to be careful every time

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.