OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone have one carry one? shoot one?
Experiences? Opinions?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one for awhile, nice to carry, great balance, about 2 MOA accurate, but it wasn't as well suited to my still-hunting style as I had hoped, so I let it go. It was a short and handy rifle and if it would fit your style of hunting I'd recommend it if the price is right.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had one in .270 and used it for about 10 years never needed more than the one shot and was accurate enough for deer hunting.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I had one for awhile, nice to carry, great balance, about 2 MOA accurate, but it wasn't as well suited to my still-hunting style as I had hoped, so I let it go. It was a short and handy rifle and if it would fit your style of hunting I'd recommend it if the price is right.

I wonder why it delivered such mediocre accuracy. I have a Lipsey's special #1 in .275 Rigby and it's a solid 3/4" rifle with several loads. The barrel isn't that much longer.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one in the International” set-up. ie: full length stock. 2006 vintage. It’s a great tree stand gun, easy to carry and points well for quick type shots.
I find that it’s not really easy to shoot off hand on 200 yard plus shots as it’s light , short, and hard to hold still without a good rest.
I shoot a 145 grain Speer Grand Slam sitting on top of 50 grains of H414. This is chrono’ ed @ 2850. Slightly hot and definitely not a load for a weaker rifle, but it’s fine in my rifle. YMMV.
I get one inch groups @100 with it consistently. Also it wears a Leupold M8 4x.

I do use an extension ring from Ruger on the back scope ring.

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 12/30/21.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my little 7mm, it's the only No. 1 I own that has not drawn blood on anything. It's the least accurate of my No. 1s but it's just so much fun to shoot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Some days are better than others, this is a typical 10 shot group. When it throws a flier it really throws it.

Last edited by MickinColo; 12/30/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

I wonder why it delivered such mediocre accuracy. I have a Lipsey's special #1 in .275 Rigby and it's a solid 3/4" rifle with several loads. The barrel isn't that much longer.

I didn't put much effort into it and was only shooting 175 grain Federal factory ammo. I had several other rifles chambered in 7x57 at that time, still have 8 of them, so there wasn't any incentive to spend time and money working on a rifle that didn't speak to me. I had traded into it at a favorable price and when the opportunity to make a 50% profit came up I sold it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I’ve had three RSI’s but never got them to shoot accurately enough to keep my interest. Too bad cause they are nice looking rifles and balanced well for me

Rick

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I Bought one years ago. saw it in a pawn shop. thought to myself IF that thing is in 7x57 I'll buy it, Asked the owner what caliber. 7x57 Dammit! let me look at it. It had a nice Redfield with German post reticle scope. I could see myself hunting Red stag in the Black Forrest with it. It has sat in the safe for over 20 years. Accuracy? Couldn't tell you. lol Still waiting for an invite to go hunt Red stag in the Black Forrest

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
friend of mine's dad in PENN was going to buy an RSI 7x57 but had heard about the iffy accuracy and bought a regular #1 7x57 and it shot extremely well. Later he bought an M77 in the same caliber and it shot great also

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
yeah.....the accuracy issue is a concern thats why i asked. all sorts of home remedies for the short stocked #1s but never heard of one for the full length stock

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
On the other hand a friend of mine bought a Ruger #1 in 22-250 with gorgeous wood, but it is a poor shooter. He wont sell it because of the wood. No idea why he hasnt taken it to a smith.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The several I have owned all shot well enough-some reason or another I have sold them all. But if I came across a good deal on another i would be hard pressed to pass it up

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I had one in 6.5x55 that was an easy 1-1 1/4 MOA with 140 Partitions.
Regret letting it go for something I thought would be better

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have read all the reports of iffy accuracy and was a little spooked of giving one a try.

Not the same rifle the OP asked about, but very similar.

I took a chance on a RSI #1 in 6.5x55 and I am really glad I did!!!

It is just the sweetest little thing!!!

My daughters friend used it this year to take his first ever buck.
I am exceedingly glad that he got to use it.

Yes, a Savage Axis would have been sufficient and quite capable.

But now he will have the pleasure of recalling this first successful hunt while using a timeless classic firearm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love it. One of the handiest rifles in my battery. Shoots reasonably well with factory ammo, about 1 1/2".

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have one that I bought new in 2007. It shoots my handloads at 1 MOA or so without any modifications. I took a mulie on a combination deer/elk hunt with RL-19 and a 160 Nosler Partition. I also have a 1A with a custom Lilja 24" barrel that will shoot the same load into 1/2" groups, but at twice what the factory stock RSI cost me. The RSI is super handy to carry around in the mountains and plenty accurate for hunting.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had an RSI in .243 and found the blast annoying.
Is it more polite in 7x57?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve own quite a few #1’s over the years. Had a RSI IN 7x57, shot great. Took one whitetail with it and sold it. Regretting ever since.😣

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bill in NE
I have read all the reports of iffy accuracy and was a little spooked of giving one a try.

But now he will have the pleasure of recalling this first successful hunt while using a timeless classic firearm.

I don't see how the memory of shooting your first buck with someone else's rifle would be special. Unless of course you give that rifle to him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see what you mean I think.

For a young guy like him who doesn’t have experience with numerous models and manufacturers, he may not appreciate the finer things in life.

I guess I was transferring my experiences and history to him. I really enjoy my Sauer 202s and can appreciate Ruger #1’s for their design and utility.

You’re probably correct that it will mean more to me than to him.

I may well give it to him
But not yet. 😉

Last edited by Bill in NE; 01/02/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
my 7x57 shoots about 3/4 all day. i love mine shooting 140 grain Ballistic tips

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill in NE

I don't see how the memory of shooting your first buck with someone else's rifle would be special. Unless of course you give that rifle to him.

Oh I don’t know; if that young feller ends up being family, it might become very special indeed. On the other hand, I wouldn’t rush into giving any guns to him or any other young fellers until you’re sure they’re going to “stick”, maybe after a couple of grandchildren🤔 He must have potential or he’d have gotten the Axis.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
Anyone have one carry one? shoot one?
Experiences? Opinions?

There is one of these #1 RSIs in 7x57 at the Cabela's Gun Library in LaVista, NE, if anyone is looking. I checked the serial number and it isn't the one that I used to own.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
looked online didnt see it.....remember condition and price?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
looked online didnt see it.....remember condition and price?

No, but I'll run by there tomorrow and check it out for you. I'll send you a PM so that we can talk/text off-line.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddies go to rifle for deer and elk is a SS RSI in 6.5 Swede. He’s killed a bunch of critters with it and loves it.

It’s a cool little package for sure. Can’t imagine the 7x57 being much different.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
have all manner of 65's love them all looking for a Ruger #1 and a different caliber....had a 9.3x74R but could never love the 22" barrel in that big a cartridge. 405 has interest and i like the 24" but its a bit heavy. 7x57 is such a wonderful over achieving cartridge (like the 6.5s) been thinking id revisit it.
....or find a cheap enough donor #1 then the world is wide open for re-barrel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you hate yourself, there is the Boddington Cape Buffalo edition in 450/400. I've been "told" that a bench session with a 7lb gun in that cartridge is rough. Recoil is muy forte.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.