Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
Bird and clay shooters aren't aiming them like a rifle with a tite turkey choke.

Years back I went on an O/U quest for a turkey gun....3 Browning Citoris, (two 3" and one 3.5") a Berretta 3.5" Onyx and an American Arms 3.5".... All when aimed like a rifle shot the bottom barrel low...thrid to half pattern low.
When I contacted Browning and Beretta their rely was they were in their perimeters.

So you bozos are calling me a liar ?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Fuggin turkeys are the easiest birds to kill.

No [bleep], it almost seems nuts at the efforts some people put into killing them, I use a 870 in the great 410, with 3" 6 shot, and I don't feel under gunned !

Learn to call better and you won't need a cannon to kill the love struck dummies either.

With a 12 gauges at 30 yards 70 % of the shot goes around the head neck area that you are shooting at, what's the point?

Last edited by jimy; 12/31/21.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC
Bird and clay shooters aren't aiming them like a rifle with a tite turkey choke.

Years back I went on an O/U quest for a turkey gun....3 Browning Citoris, (two 3" and one 3.5") a Berretta 3.5" Onyx and an American Arms 3.5".... All when aimed like a rifle shot the bottom barrel low...thrid to half pattern low.
When I contacted Browning and Beretta their rely was they were in their perimeters.

Not a liar just a dumb fug

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm pretty sure the plural of Citori is Citori.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LFC

You are the only one name calling.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the English lesson.

These guys are dumber than Gemby

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
You guys must dip from the same Shinola can

Guess next you'll tell me how great #9 fairy dust sized shot kills turkeys.

I put over a thousand rounds a year down the tubes of my shotguns. How about you?

Pizzin match about who shoots the most....before the shell shortage started I shot an average of 200 rds a week all year at clay targets...now it's down a 100 rds every few weeks....Next I guess you'll brag about your Kreigoff Remington copy and I could brag about my Purdey I used to own.

Yea and I've known people that turkey hunted for 30 plus years that don't know much more than when they started....so whats you point ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC
You guys must dip from the same Shinola can

Guess next you'll tell me how great #9 fairy dust sized shot kills turkeys.

I put over a thousand rounds a year down the tubes of my shotguns. How about you?

Pizzin match about who shoots the most....before the shell shortage started I shot an average of 200 rds a week all year at clay targets...now it's down a 100 rds every few weeks....Next I guess you'll brag about your Kreigoff Remington copy and I could brag about my Purdey I used to own.

Yea and I've known people that turkey hunted for 30 plus years that don't know much more than when they started....so whats you point ?

I going to go out on a limb here, and say they were most likely kin folks of yours !

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It takes a special kind of Idiot to shoot 410's for turkey.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC

You must be against TSS shotshells too.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
Maybe a 100 years ago when barrels were soldered together by hand there might have been some miss matched sets but today, you are wrong in your thinking.

Go to you bench and set a target at ten yards and shoot it with two Winchester AAs of 9 shot, and you will find one hole of about one inch in diameter, if not then the chock tubes you are using are junk, and if you still don't think its the tubes, then simply switch the tubes to the other barrel. you will be surprised !

The CZ Redhead Premier All Terrain I bought last Spring patterns 8” apart at 40 yards, with both the factory tubes and a Briley Turkey choke. I sent it back for that, and because it was waaaayyyy to hard to open. They corrected the tight action, then tested the patterns and informed me there was no problem; as the barrels were only 4” apart at 20 yards.Duh! I did a lot of online research about the issue and discovered that it’s not at all uncommon, even with guns that cost a lot more than my $1K CZ. The gunmakers are fine with that apparently, even the higher end ones. The “easy” fix is custom tubes from Briley or maybe others, but the job ain’t cheap, nor are the biased tubes that correct the POI. For turkey hunting, the easy way out is to use a sight adjusted for the tight barrel, and use a more open tube with another load for body shots or just learn the hold required. For upland wingshooting, it’s not a huge problem, as open chokes overlap pretty well at typical ranges. I’m still working on how much it affects my 5-stand shooting, but I clearly do better at that with either of my autos than the CZ. It’s going to take some time on the pattern board to see if it’s the barrels or just gun fit.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LFC

Yea they are tough to hit at 30 yards, willy critters they are ! You dumb [bleep] ! You should thank God you don't hunt dangerous game !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Maybe a 100 years ago when barrels were soldered together by hand there might have been some miss matched sets but today, you are wrong in your thinking.

Go to you bench and set a target at ten yards and shoot it with two Winchester AAs of 9 shot, and you will find one hole of about one inch in diameter, if not then the chock tubes you are using are junk, and if you still don't think its the tubes, then simply switch the tubes to the other barrel. you will be surprised !

The CZ Redhead Premier All Terrain I bought last Spring patterns 8” apart at 40 yards, with both the factory tubes and a Briley Turkey choke. I sent it back for that, and because it was waaaayyyy to hard to open. They corrected the tight action, then tested the patterns and informed me there was no problem; as the barrels were only 4” apart at 20 yards.Duh! I did a lot of online research about the issue and discovered that it’s not at all uncommon, even with guns that cost a lot more than my $1K CZ. The gunmakers are fine with that apparently, even the higher end ones. The “easy” fix is custom tubes from Briley or maybe others, but the job ain’t cheap, nor are the biased tubes that correct the POI. For turkey hunting, the easy way out is to use a sight adjusted for the tight barrel, and use a more open tube with another load for body shots or just learn the hold required. For upland wingshooting, it’s not a huge problem, as open chokes overlap pretty well at typical ranges. I’m still working on how much it affects my 5-stand shooting, but I clearly do better at that with either of my autos than the CZ. It’s going to take some time on the pattern board to see if it’s the barrels or just gun fit.

Or just you !

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gun fit can't fix barrel regulation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Or just you !

There's always that, painful as it is.

At least the spread is only vertical; if it was horizontal, I’d pack it in. Using the turkey tube in each barrel and a red dot, the patterns stack as perfectly as I’m able to judge.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Interesting turn on the thread......

As OP here, I have ran experiments with turkey choke tubes on my Browning citori 725 out to 40 yards and that thing is regulated very well. The trigger is light and the inflex recoil pad works well too.

I could use the 725 with the two beads and be happy, but I don't want to take that gun out into the muddy rainy days. Trap season starts at turkey time so I don't want to fool with red dots on it either, but the OU concept works with that gun.

So my Steven's 555 may be an epic failure compared to the 725. At least I may have a new grouse beater.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Browning Citori Satin Hunter 12ga 3-1/2" gun sitting in the back of the safe, going to see what it'll do... but NOT with 3-1/2" shells! Lol! Have a couple Jebbs tubes in a drawer too.

I used #9 TSS shot, from a 20ga, for the first time last year on an IL bird and a WI bird. Stuff works! Did it kill them deader than other shot? No! But for #9 shot, the performance is undeniable. Any slander about #9 TSS can only come from someone who hasn't used it, IMO.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
Interesting turn on the thread......

So my Steven's 555 may be an epic failure compared to the 725. At least I may have a new grouse beater.

You won't know until you shoot it. Hope it works for you.
Down here in Missouri, turkeys are about as likely to come to the call from behind you as from the front. Some hunters use a full choke over cylinder, and choose the barrel based on the range at which they shoot. The big advantage of a double over a single barrel gun is choice of chokes.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is referred to as upland choking...it sounds cool but not very effective turkey or duck hunting.....for about 10 years I fall turkey hunted and occasionally duck hunted with vintage SxSs.....I wanted equal choke in each barrel.

Turkeys and upland bird hunting aren't too similar....

If your first shot is say 30 to 35 yards and you miss or God forbid wound a turkey and need a second shot the open choke is not going to be of much use unless the turkey runs towards you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the thought of a more open choke when the bird slips inside 20 yards. Tight turkey chokes at close range are like shooting slugs at the gobblers head. Something like Mod for the bottom barrel and X-Full on top seems very practical.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.