24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
M
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
1981 Simplex O frame press and Simplex dies in 308Win. Still have em. The primer arm return spring broke a long time ago - never fixed it.


Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
BP-B2

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
There used to be a company in Canada that imported Simplex equipment. I haven't heard that name in years. Are they still in business?


Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." - anon
Proverbs 22:10: Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
M
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There used to be a company in Canada that imported Simplex equipment. I haven't heard that name in years. Are they still in business?


Yes. It did go through some rough spots but is still going


https://simplexreloading.com.au/about/


Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Member
Offline
New Member
G
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
In 1960 or so, my first press, at age 15, was C-H, C frame, and a set of C-H dies, for .303 British, to start loading for a Lee Enfield No1 Mk 3, that I got for Christmas. These were purchased at a local gun store in Nanaimo BC. I still have that press, along with a couple of others, and use it occasionally. It seemed to be pretty good quality equipment at that time, and still seems pretty good now.
At the same time, I purchased a Lyman reloading manual, a Redding scale, still in use, along with other powder measures, some CIL 150 gr PSP .303 bullets, 3031 powder, and some primers.
As there was no one else that I knew that was reloading, I was self taught, along with some help from the good guys in the local gun store.


Last edited by garryg; 12/30/21. Reason: Just added the extras that I purchased at the same time.
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,278
B
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,278
Lee Loader .38 Spec. When I got an RCBS Jr press and some RCBS dies I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.


Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

― Voltaire

IC-A B3

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,724
3
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
3
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Lee Loader .38 Spec. When I got an RCBS Jr press and some RCBS dies I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

My second Lee loader was .30 carbine that FL resized. It was a real pain hammering those cases in. Took two pieces of hardwood and used the shop vise to squeeze the case into the die. Bit slow but worked fine. But life improved with a Rockchucker.

Last edited by 300_savage; 12/30/21.
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,491
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,491
RCBS rockchucker 1999.

308 or 44 mag were then first RCBS dies.

Back then it was a clean reloading bench.


There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,095
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,095
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Thanks for the responses!

For those who did not say, were you mentored, or did you stumble through the learning curve on your own? In my case, I had outside influences help me learn. My father was not a reloader. He was good at many things, but wasn't mechanically inclined.


The same "Uncle", that helped my mom pick out the set came down and helped me set up the dies the first time. Hes not really a relative but he's my uncle just the same. Took me under his wing and helped me out a lot. He lived up the hill from us and after my dad left took it upon himself to look after me. After the first time I just made sure to take my time and read the directions. If I ever got stuck he was a phone call away. I now do the same thing and have mentored dozens in their reloading set ups.

Last edited by Bushwacker; 12/31/21.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
mauserand9mm,

I'm glad they are still afloat. When I read at the link you provided about cheaper import equipment appearing in Oz, where was it coming from?

Originally Posted by Bushwacker
...The same "Uncle", that helped my mom pick out the set came down and helped me set up the dies the first time. Hes not really a relative but he's my uncle just the same. Took me under his wing and helped me out a lot. He lived up the hill from us and after my dad left took it upon himself to look after me. After the first time I just made sure to take my time and read the directions. If I ever got stuck he was a phone call away. I now do the same thing and have mentored dozens in their reloading set ups.


That's great. I had a close friend who helped me for many years.

It's nice to have a personal connection. It seems some people are dependent on youtube or webboards. While both are nice, the personal touch is best. Being able to ask questions and get immediate feedback is a plus. The hands on approach is number one. As are stories told around the reloading press or at the club. smile


Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." - anon
Proverbs 22:10: Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 51,844
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 51,844
Old Lyman single stage press with Lyman dies for the .44 and .30 Carbine. May 1970


I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain


IC-B B4

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 834
R
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Thanks for the responses!

For those who did not say, were you mentored, or did you stumble through the learning curve on your own? In my case, I had outside influences help me learn. My father was not a reloader. He was good at many things, but wasn't mechanically inclined.


Nobody took me shooting and absolutely no interest in what I was doing. Learned it all from books and magazines. Didn’t shoot a real rifle until I bought my own when 18.

Been a long learning curve since 1979, and still learning!

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
M
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 3,467
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
mauserand9mm,

I'm glad they are still afloat. When I read at the link you provided about cheaper import equipment appearing in Oz, where was it coming from?


Believe it or not but I think it was the American imports - our dollar was strong against the USD during the 1970s and early 80s.

I didn't hear much about them from the late 90s onwards and only recently also discovered myself that they were still going.

I think their "hey day" was the 60s and 70s.


Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,408
S
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,408
Started with my FIL's Pacific press that he bought in the 50's.Bought my own Rockchucker early 70's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Believe it or not but I think it was the American imports - our dollar was strong against the USD during the 1970s and early 80s.

I didn't hear much about them from the late 90s onwards and only recently also discovered myself that they were still going.

I think their "hey day" was the 60s and 70s.


That doesn’t surprise me. There was a time when we had more European stuff and less US goods. We also had more Cdn made products as well. Our dollar was at par, and for a while it was worth a few cents more than the USD. smile

I’m glad Simplex has hung on.


Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." - anon
Proverbs 22:10: Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,469
A
Campfire Guide
Online Content
Campfire Guide
A
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,469
Lee Challenger press and a set of Lee 30-06 dies. The press is long gone, but the dies are still in use. Self-taught.

Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 202
B
Member
Offline
Member
B
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 202
This has been an enjoyable read for sure. Another Lee Loader here… late 70’s bought my first in 308 from Hills in north Raleigh, N.C. Guy in there by name of Bobby got me started with scales and all to get started. Shot my first big buck with a handload and can count on one hand all the factory loads have ever bought. Have Lee Loaders in 308, 243, 30-30, 22 Hornet and others…. used one few days ago. It is amazing to watch a kid just getting started in reloading and see him go thru all the stages and years later he still at it and will always remember his first reloads and who helped him. I have hundreds of 308 brass cases up in barn that have been reloaded with that Lee Loader and cans of 4064 in the safe….oh how time has flown by.


O.B.Wallace
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,724
3
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
3
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by Blueboy
This has been an enjoyable read for sure. Another Lee Loader here… late 70’s bought my first in 308 from Hills in north Raleigh, N.C. Guy in there by name of Bobby got me started with scales and all to get started. Shot my first big buck with a handload and can count on one hand all the factory loads have ever bought. Have Lee Loaders in 308, 243, 30-30, 22 Hornet and others…. used one few days ago. It is amazing to watch a kid just getting started in reloading and see him go thru all the stages and years later he still at it and will always remember his first reloads and who helped him. I have hundreds of 308 brass cases up in barn that have been reloaded with that Lee Loader and cans of 4064 in the safe….oh how time has flown by.

Blueboy, you said a mouthful. Feel like I can use a clock as a fan nowadays.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,615
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,615
My first was called Echo. Made up from E. C. Herkner Co. Prior to that 3 of us had one of a brand I can't remember the name of. As soon as we got a little more affluent we split up and this is the one I bought. At the time I was loading either 2 or 3 calibers.

The problem with this loader was that the shell holders screwed onto the ram instead of snapping into place. I found extra shell holders were no longer being manufactured. I think I replaced it with an RCBS. I gradually up graded with higher end presses of the same make. I don't know how many here still remember the E.C. Herkner Co.

Jim

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,273
T
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,273
Lyman O-Mag press and RCBS 280 Remington die set.


μολὼν λαβέ
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 313
G
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 313
Pacific 007 press with RCBS dies

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV-TRX
Who's Online Now
637 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1lessdog, 89 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3-22

UDG-IP









Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.066s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9643 MB (Peak: 1.1154 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-10-06 17:12:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS