Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16791156 01/01/22
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not really a backpack hunting item but not sure where else to ask. Has anyone tried a Kamp Rite tent cot for solo camping? If so what do you think of it?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you plan on car camping. I like to be able to stand up in a tent if I am car camping. Check out kodiak tent. I can put one up in 5 mins

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/01/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not a 1-man, but we have this Timber Ridge 2 person one from Costco. Besides being bigger, the fly comes close to the ground so you can put gear under it in the rain and keep it dry. That's the problem with every 1-man I've seen. The fly ends at the cot, not at the ground.
We got it last spring and have maybe a dozen nights in it. We like it. I can set it up or break it down in under 5 min. It's a little heavy, though, about 40lb.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rock Chuck does the cot have a support brace down the middle?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. I don't know any that don't. If it didn't, 2 people would be sleeping on top of each other. The Timber Ridge is more heavy duty than any others I've seen. It's rated for a total of 600lb. Most of them are 400 to 450.

― George Orwell

IC B2

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
It looks good

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd never even heard of a "tent cot" until a friend of mine hauled out his Kamp Rite on a camping trip a few years ago. The moment I saw it I thought, 'What a genius idea!' When I returned home I started researching tent cots and ended up buying the Cabela's version, as it appeared to be a little stouter than the Kamp Rite (though there's nothing inherently wrong with the Kamp Rite). I've subsequently used mine on-and-off since then and consider it one of the smartest camping gizmos I've ever purchased.

As Rock Chuck noted, camp tents are pretty heavy and, accordingly, not suitable for back-packing. But for camping out of your vehicle, they can't be beat in my opinion.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Afternoon, I still have one of the camp cot doubles. It's a double bed sized cot with a tent attached to it, sets up in two minutes. Just unfolds and your done. I used it for hunt camps you could get an ATV into. It's bulky, folded it the size of 1/2 a double bed. I get migraines real bad (several concussions). If I get one in a camp and can't stand the noise or lights I don't want to be a kill joy. I have the cot camp set up a fare piece away, take some drugs go to cot go to sleep hopefully in morning I can hunt. Pretty handy for car camping with wife or the dog, comfortable too. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Why not just buy a decent dome tent and a $40 Walmart folding cot? You’d be miles ahead in comfort and convenience. The kamp rite would still need to be under a tarp to have changing space and dry storage of gear. Bought separately, you’d also have the option of using just the tent or the cot if the situation dictated.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a Kodiak Canvas flex bow 10x14 and love it, I was just wondering about the tent cot for quick overnight trips. It would be really convenient to set everything up so quick and easy by myself when I’m hunting alone. I would still use my Kodiak for extended trips or if anyone else was hunting with me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
I have a Kodiak Canvas flex bow 10x14 and love it, I was just wondering about the tent cot for quick overnight trips. It would be really convenient to set everything up so quick and easy by myself when I’m hunting alone. I would still use my Kodiak for extended trips or if anyone else was hunting with me.

I have a 10x14 and a 9x8 kodiak. I think you will find the 9x8 a bit easier to wrangle by yourself

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Is the 9x8 a flex bow?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WMR
Why not just buy a decent dome tent and a $40 Walmart folding cot? You’d be miles ahead in comfort and convenience. The kamp rite would still need to be under a tarp to have changing space and dry storage of gear. Bought separately, you’d also have the option of using just the tent or the cot if the situation dictated.
I have an 8x10 2-bow dome tent. It's more convenient but I can set up that Timber Ridge cot tent in 1/3 of the time. The fly sticks out enough to get dressed under it if you're a bit agile.
Like any cot, a tent still needs some kind of insulation under you. A 2 or 3" self inflating pad works great and can be inflating while you're setting it up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
Is the 9x8 a flex bow?

Yeah. The other nice thing IMO is in the cold a heat buddy can be used. In a tent cot I don’t see that as doable. I use a camp time roll a cot for my cot

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 9x8 definitely looks easier for one man to set up and take down vs the 10x14. I see they also make a 8.5x6.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
The 9x8 definitely looks easier for one man to set up and take down vs the 10x14. I see they also make a 8.5x6.

the smallest kodiak tent doesn't allow you to stand up. Springbar, which is the tent kodiak copied makes an 8x7 model that allows standing up. I have a hunting buddy that uses the springbar. its slightly more packable, I have spent some nights in it. we use it when he drives, we use my kodiak when I drive. springbar tents are more durable IMO. I do like some features of the kodiaks better. both tents work great for 2 guys with 2 cots. I spend about 30 nights a year in a kodiak. mostly setup in different spots everynight.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LBP
Not really a backpack hunting item but not sure where else to ask. Has anyone tried a Kamp Rite tent cot for solo camping? If so what do you think of it?

Close. I used a cot tent w/ a Cabelas label. It is very similar to the Kamp Rite oversized cot tent. I didn't care for it. It was near 40 pounds. It was big / bulky like a folding lawn chair in the vehicle. Condensation was real bad with the fly on. I had problems getting wet getting in and out through the door. Once inside it was good other than condensation. Real comfortable. After a few years I got rid of it and went back to a ground tent. I don't really want to go to a wall tent. They're nice once up but setting one up and taking it down solo in a rain storm sucks.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 10x14 kodiak is overkill for a few nights, but I can put it up and take it down in just a few minutes. It’s as fast as the scouts in their 2 man dome tents. I like it because I can spread out, be comfortable, and have a place to hang out if it rains. I’ll deal with the weight as long as it’s close to the truck.

Check out the cots the OZTENT sells. They seem very nice. I plan on picking one up to try.

Last edited by Oklahomahunter; 01/05/22.
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Setting up the 10x14 isn’t bad, take down isn’t either other than getting it folded back up and put away by yourself. Looking at the other Kodiaks which would you guys prefer the 9x8 or 8.5x6?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a friend with a Kodiak. It's easy as far as tents go but it can't compete with my Timber Ridge cot-tent for ease of setup and take down. That's the beauty of tent cots - they're so easy to handle. They're made for a quick camp, for just a night or 2. If you're traveling, you can pull off the road and have your bed ready to use in minutes. The Timber Ridge has a fly that comes almost to the ground so you have dry storage under it. As a result, you do have to put in a few more stakes to hold it down vs the cots with a partial fly that fastens to the frame.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.