Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
in a recent perfect Whitetail scope thread...there are many....the question of moving around and staying in one place was brought up. If one has the ground to move, I see little reason not to do so. I think the TV hunters have influenced what many do, in that it is difficult to get good film when the hunter is moving. Some have difficulty in moving.
And some think Deer stay holed up for most of the day...Perhaps highly pressured Deer do, but I don't find it to be true here in the Pa hills. However, many think you can't be moving around and be successful, which I find to be in error.

What you can see moving around...There would be hundreds more pics if I took the time to take them.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 01/02/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Sometime you even kill something....and close...

She is in there...were's Waldo..

He is too....but was special so he walked on..

Caught him feeding in the wood in the afternoon at around 30 yards, he never knew...

Caught him out scouting right before the season opened...

Bud and I were moving around and he pushed this to me...

In this weather my advice is to move....because they most likely won't be out for a walk...

One on the left: Both of us were walking in the morning..He most likely going to bed. Didn't have a clue at around 30-40 yards.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Fortune favors the brave.

As long as the wind is in my favor, noise and motion aren't a death sentence for the happy wanderer.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Walking up down and around Pa hills the wind is fickle...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Too thick where I hunt, be hard to get a shot.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to do a lot of slip hunting when I was younger. I saw lots of deer. Killed just as many on the ground as in a tree stand. some nice Bucks too. If you know how, when, and where to move, and what to look for, Slip/still hunting is a lot of fun.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Of course it depends on your situation.

Where i hunted recently the private woods patch was small, so if i moved a lot i might chase the deer off the property. I didnt move much.

If the woods are very dry and crunchy and the day quiet we didnt move much at all.

Still hunting along establiished trails sometimes is quiet and productive.

Before deer season i used to practice still hunting by hunting grey/fox squirrels.

The advice i got about still hunting was: Get goin as slow as you can go--then go half that fast.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My favorite kind of hunting although in my area the vegetation is about as thick as in your fourth from the top picture. I'm just not much of a sitter! smile

Last edited by Joe; 01/02/22.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RCflash

The advice i got about still hunting was: Get goin as slow as you can go--then go half that fast.

Both statements are very true. I used to love to still hunt after a rain or even during a slight drizzle. The ground becomes a lot more quiet. Put the wind in your face, move slowly, stop and watch for a few minutes, move slowly to your next close spot with cover and repeat. Now a days I hunt on hunting leases that do not want anybody walking around. Got to sit in a stand or ground blind. I do miss still hunting when the conditions are right.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RCflash

Where i hunted recently the private woods patch was small, so if i moved a lot i might chase the deer off the property. I didnt move much.

If the woods are very dry and crunchy and the day quiet we didnt move much at all.

Still hunting along establiished trails sometimes is quiet and productive.

Before deer season i used to practice still hunting by hunting grey/fox squirrels.

I try to go 1 yard a minute. Always watch my back trail too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I just go for a walk in the woods and try to see what is going on. Sometimes just moving along, sometimes slow. Have seen many Deer move out ahead of me and surely there were many more that I didn’t.

However, I’m no longer surprised when I catch them while breaking all the supposed rules. Mostly it’s a time thing. Spend enough time in a good area and we cross paths. However, usually have found a spot to watch by 3:30PM. Have a few that have a reason to be there.

Bouncing them out of their bed, or catching them in it, or when they get up to see what is going on and finishing the deal, is what I consider a great day. Big, small, Buck or Doe.

Two walking along parallel to each other and maybe 50 yards apart, can often be successful or at least you see enough to make it worthwhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stalked this one on my own land……

Twice.

First time I couldn’t talk my self into it.

It was snowing like a beach…..

As I was drying off I looked over what I normally drive 200 plus miles for, ride mules 3 hours a day and live in a tent at 7800 feet.

Decided to give it another try from a different angle of approach.

Ended up a 200 yard shot……a doe had spotted me and was alert ….. but this guy was oblivious.

Attached Images
705D7817-91F0-4785-8CDD-925B9B79AAFE.jpeg (15.03 KB, 538 downloads)
Stalked this one, twice. It was snowing like a beach. Couldn’t talk my self into the shot. Went back to dry out in the man cave.
Last edited by Angus1895; 01/02/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In our NY/VT woods I’m pretty much non stop once we have snow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Most of the time if I start out early, sun just rising , I sit tight the first hour or two then start my "walk". I may take 3 or more "sits" during my "walk" depending on the sign and weather conditions. Usually feel like I'm missing out if I sit still all day. I absolutely dread sitting in a box stand over feeders and shooting lanes all day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no doubt moving around can be successful. I also take advantage of other hunter movement and stay put when conditions are right.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve seen some of my biggest Bucks, and many Deer, while walking around Grouse hunting with a Bird Dog…. Not worrying all the much about the wind or being extra quiet. If it works there, I mostly do the same on the move. Do slow down considerably when getting into what looks like a bedding area.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I always enjoy being on the move with snow on the ground hunting the old strip mines in southern Ohio

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After 40 years and 100+ deer killed....

I find that the most effective method of take for whitetail is to kill them when THEY move....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was living in Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri in used to hunt a lot of the public hunting in Eastern Kansas with my longbow. So naturally I did a ton of still hunting. Usually spent most of the day at it, most of the time I didn't move but about 40 yards in an hours time. Every step opened up an all new field of view. Beat the hell out of sitting in a tree stand hoping a deer would make it's way by the stand. Had some great hunts that will never be forgotten

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's my favorite way to hunt. It's not the best all the time, and I can't do it as much as I'd like, but it can work. A couple from still hunting I have pics of:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 29 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.