Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I got curious so I asked this question on Apex facebook page.

This is from their facebook page.

My question to

Apex Ammunition on their Facebook site.

"I hear all the claims....lets hear the facts. What's the actual weight of a TSS size 9 or 10 pellet ?"

Apex Ammunition's reply to me...Quote

"9's weigh 1.2grs. 9.5's weigh 1gr.

9's are the perfect TSS pellet size. More energy than lead 4's and equal energy to hevi shot 5's".

My reply to Apex...

"A lead #4 pellet weighs 3.30 grains....a lead #7 shot weighs 1.50 grains....both substantially more weight than the smaller TSS pellet. Energy is figured by computing weight and velocity. There is no way a #9 TSS pellet weighing a third of a #4 lead can have more energy than a lead #4 shot moving at the same velocity.....fact is a lead #7 has more energy than a TSS #9 size shot moving at equal velocity".

I was quickly shown the door.....

GB1

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A projectile carries energy based on weight and velocity...a #4 carries way more energy than a smaller lighter weight TSS pellet.

TSS can't be pushed to the velocity lead can because of pressures caused because it doesn't give any.

There's a thing called energy transfer...

The TSS depends not on energy transfer but on the hope that it will poke a bunch of small holes in something vital.

Most any choke will shoot a bunch of small pellets. Usually not so with the bigger shot unless it's coming out of a Winchester Longbeard.

Federal ammo and all the others ammo companies are sucking hind teet with the bigger shot loads coming from Winchester...that's why they're pushing the small shot...pretty easy to see if you've been watching.

The shot lock technology in Winchester Longbeards makes most any choke/gun combination look pretty good.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My question to you, have you tried TSS #9? In either a 12 or 20? I have, in a 20, for the first time last year. The performance is undeniable. The range, the penetration, the patterns, the stuff works. Doesn't mean nothing else works, just means there's another tool available. And held in hand, no scale, a 3" 20 gauge 1-1/2oz #9 TSS is noticeably heavier than a 3" 20 gauge 1-1/4oz #5 Winchester LongbeardXR. More than the 1/4oz difference in payload. I know that's not scientific, just an observation. The performance of TSS in a 20 gauge has kept my 10 and 12 gauges in the safe when I go out.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot the hevi shot mixed load for a couple years I don't want to pick small pellets out of my turkey meat.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The 2 toms I shot last year had zero pellets in any of the meat areas. Both at +/- 40 yards. Their heads and necks were a completely different story. Not saying that can't happen, just didn't on the 2 last year. This year could be a different story. I too listed to, and read, guys accounts of TSS shot. Sounded like guys and their 6.5CM's. But I finally tried it and was very impressed by it. You still have to do what you have to do to kill a turkey, that doesn't change.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never tried heavy shot nor TSS. Winchester XX #5 has always worked well for me. I shot the last of my XX and ended up buying several boxes of Longbeard XR in 3" and 3.5". The stuff patterns exceptionally well. So far I've patterned it in my Winchester SX4 with a XF choke, Browning A5 with a Kicks turkey choke, and my Browning Maxus II with a full choke. I'm getting super dense patterns at 30 yards and very good kill patterns to 50. As well as XX has performed, and as promising as XR looks, I have no desire to try TSS. The cost alone is something like 3 to 5Xs the cost of Longbread XR, which is already expensive enough. $50-80 for 5 TSS 3.5" #7 shells (depending on the source) versus $27 for 10 XR 3.5" #5 shells. That's insane.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have shot turkeys with lead #5, Hevi #6, Hevi 7's and TSS #9. All will kill turkeys, pick what you like and rock on.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The price of TSS is freaking insane. I shoot Longbeards in #4 and #5 and have killed birds at 40+ several times. I used to get on a turkey hunting forum that acted like it was a mortal sin to kill birds at more than 40 yards. But, most of the pricks on there loved TSS. WTF! I posted on there that I can kill birds at 40 yards easy with Longbeards. Why do I need TSS. Nobody responded at all to my post. I really wanted them to.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
You're nuts roverboy! Lol! Like talkin about crossbows in an archery forum! My opinion has always been, use whatever you want and can afford. Up to you whether it works or not.

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Steel is less dense than lead, so it is a given steel pellets need to be larger for the same effect..
TSS is more dense than lead, so conversely TSS pellets can be smaller for the same effect.

And before you were shown the door...I'm sure they mentioned density.

ABOUT TUNGSTEN
Lead has a density of 11.34g/cc giving it more inertia and energy at impact than steel shot which comes in at 7.86g/cc. ... Alternative non-toxic alloys have been created with densities as high as 13-15 g/cc. None, however, have ever come close to our TSS, which has the ultimate density of 18.1 g/cc.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Familiar with KPY shotgun ballistics program?

Real quick:
1300 fps
1 1/4 oz shot charge

Chilled lead #4 (167 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

Final Vel: 582
Energy (ft/lbs): 2.45
Energy Density (ft / lbs /sq in): 184.8
Gel Penetration: 1.72

TSS #9 (447 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

Final Vel: 577
Energy (ft/lbs): 0.90
Energy Density (ft / lbs /sq in): 179.6
Gel Penetration: 1.67

Contemplating these numbers will lead you down all sorts of paths regarding the relative merits of TSS. You can make of these what you'd like, but here is one take:

Individual #9 TSS and #4 chilled lead pellets are as above @ 60 yards in terms of lethality. The density of TSS allows you to have 267% more pellets per shot charge, or to shoot lighter/faster charges (increasing energy), or both, or duplexing with steel loads, or, or or ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This might be a good time to add this:

[Linked Image]

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. That chart has "Steel 4" through a Full or Extra Full choke. Most choke tube makers explicitly warn not to shoot steel through a full choke or tighter tube.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RickBin

Real quick:
1300 fps
1 1/4 oz shot charge

@ 60 yards:

TSS #9 (447 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

Contemplating these numbers will lead you down all sorts of paths regarding the relative merits of TSS. You can make of these what you'd like, but here is one take:

Individual #9 TSS and #4 chilled lead pellets are as above @ 60 yards in terms of lethality. The density of TSS allows you to have 267% more pellets per shot charge, or to shoot lighter/faster charges (increasing energy), or both, or duplexing with steel loads, or, or or ...

What I take is you get almost the same penetration with a 9 TSS (1.67) vs a lead 4 (1.72) and you most likely get more hits on target due to the increased number of shot in the TSS. The cumulative effect being you hit the target with more energy. Reason being the increased density of TSS.

Compare TSS 9's to lead 5's or 6's and the advantage becomes greater. TSS 9's and Lead 4's seem to be equal pellet vs pellet. However TSS 9's are superior to lead 5's and 6's...pellet to pellet.

Last edited by battue; 01/03/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue

Real quick:
1300 fps
1 1/4 oz shot charge

@ 60 yards:

TSS #9 (447 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

What I take is you get almost the same penetration with a 9 TSS (1.67) vs a lead 4 (1.72) and you most likely get more hits on target due to the increased number of shot in the TSS. The cumulative effect being you hit the target with more energy. Reason being the increased density of TSS.

Compare TSS 9's to lead 5's or 6's and the advantage becomes greater. TSS 9's and Lead 4's seem to be equal pellet vs pellet. However TSS 9's are superior to lead 5's and 6's...pellet to pellet.

Like getting run over by 5 cars instead of a single pickup...

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Real quick:
1300 fps
1 1/4 oz shot charge

@ 60 yards:

TSS #9 (447 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

I like 267% more pellets. More pellets = more dead.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't claim to know all the math and Rick did a fine job explaining it but I know TSS works. That is not to say that lead, Hevi shot, Heavy weight or whatever else will not work, but to say TSS will not kill a turkey cleanly and quickly is just wrong.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal

Like getting run over by 5 cars instead of a single pickup...

Excellent analogy....Well done...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to try it, and probably will eventually, even given its extraordinarily high price, and given the fact that I now have enough XR to last me several seasons.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'd like to try it, and probably will eventually, even given its extraordinarily high price, and given the fact that I now have enough XR to last me several seasons.

Apex 9’s in a 28 gauge stone Pheasants. Although the same can be said for Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 5’s and a center point.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.