Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I broke down and took my number 1 in 308 to a gun show in mesa az. today. Every one that looked at it asked "what kinda rifle is that". Who the he#@ does not know what a number 1 looks like, so I ask are number 1s falling to the wayside or am I amongst the heathens?

BP-B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same gun show people who ask me "What's a 7-08? Never heard of it."

Only been out for about 40 years.

Bruce

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I took one to Tulsa this fall, only one guy asked what it was; lots of folk wanted to talk about it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The folks at gunshows are probably the same ones I encounter on FB Gun Shop stories. Millennial and Gen Z that make fun of everyone born before 1990 calling them fudds. If the gun isn't in call of duty or some ither BS video game, they act like it isn't worth owning. Fewer and fewer people appreciate craftsmenship. Their ignorance is bothersome. Half the guns they think are great are 100 year old designs now made of plastic.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've long wanted a tan cap with red earflaps to wear at gun shows.

Bruce

Attached Images
fudd.jpg (10.09 KB, 347 downloads)
IC B2

L
L
Same mentality in Central Texas. I use to love going to the gun shows If its not tacti-cool
no one is interested. I Don't go anymore.

Last edited by lefty14615; 01/02/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dave358
I broke down and took my number 1 in 308 to a gun show in mesa az. today. Every one that looked at it asked "what kinda rifle is that". Who the he#@ does not know what a number 1 looks like, so I ask are number 1s falling to the wayside or am I amongst the heathens?

Don't give up!

Their still desirable and a work of art!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have always wanted a number one but then I am a fudd.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just tell them it holds a 30 round clip in your pocket. They will buy it in a quick second.

Probably the tacticool crowd looking for a 4" riser mount for their AR to make it seem like they actually know what they are doing

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paint it black and install a plastic stock.

1Minute
IC B3

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will fire all of its cartridges with a single trigger pull.

Bruce

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess they would really be stymied by a single shot Ballard, Winchester, Stevens, etc. If so, good - all the more for me!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bcp
I've long wanted a tan cap with red earflaps to wear at gun shows.

Bruce

That would be weawwy funny.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well that maybe but i think the Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle ,i use a Ruger #1 , my son does , my son- in law does too , i gave them each one and this year i got a special treat i hunted with my 10 year old grandson in my stand and this grandson used my Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. killed a nice deer with my rifle but said it kicked to much for him. so i finally have a 257 Roberts coming in a Ruger #1 for this 10 year old grandson , i real nice guy is selling to me for this grandson and that excites me for my young grandson . sure i have plenty bolt rifles ,pumps and autos but using a classy single shot Ruger #1 is a pride thing for me and my family and teaches people young and old to make that 1st shot count ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/02/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53
well that maybe but i think the Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle ,i use a Ruger #1 , my son does , my son- in law does too , i gave them each one and this year i got a special treat i hunted with my 10 year old grandson in my stand and this grandson used my Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. killed a nice deer with my rifle but said it kicked to much for him. so i finally have a 257 Roberts coming in a Ruger #1 for this 10 year old grandson , i real nice guy is selling to me for this grandson and that excites me for my young grandson . sure i have plenty bolt rifles ,pumps and autos but using a classy single shot Ruger #1 is a pride thing for me and my family and teaches people young and old to make that 1st shot count ! Pete53

So, tell us how you really feel about Ruger #1's!

P.S. I agree - #1's are now my go-to hunting rifles (but rely on other stuff for target/competition).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

So, tell us how you really feel about Ruger #1's!

P.S. I agree - #1's are now my go-to hunting rifles (but rely on other stuff for target/competition).

Bill Ruger made a great if not a superior single shot affordable for blue collar working people and actually Federal cartridge still use the Ruger #1 action for testing centerfire ammo . myself i still use a #1 for deer every year in Minnesota probably for the last 15 - 20 years it will always be my favorite centerfire rifle , matter fact a custom Ruger #1 220 Swift rides in my truck all year/ every day. like i posted on this forum i am in the process of purchasing a real nice Ruger #1 257 Roberts for my only grandson ,i want this 10 year old grandson to have the best rifle made in America for a deer hunter that still has some class and beauty , plus it will teach him that the 1st shot is the most important shot always , just as grandson did on that deer he shot at 125 yards with my rifle as i coached him thru the shot at his deer . Ruger #1 is very safe ,easy to load and unload for everyone , hunters are always impressed when they see our Ruger #1`s ,some have never seen a Ruger #1 before, some of my friends after they see my Ruger #1 buy them also to hunt with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had tables at gun shows for quite a while. I wish I could remember all the stupid stuff that I have heard. I've got a much thicker skin regarding comments, but every now and then someone comes up with something that is surprising to say the least. Most of the comments that have surprised me is regarding cartridges. Other comments are how one manufacturer's gun is so superior to another and it's clear the author of the statement has no experience with the gun he is putting down.
But it isn't always the guy walking around that makes the stupid statements. Sometimes it's the "authority" behind the table.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Did they ask where the magazine goes in?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've had tables at gun shows for quite a while. I wish I could remember all the stupid stuff that I have heard. I've got a much thicker skin regarding comments, but every now and then someone comes up with something that is surprising to say the least. Most of the comments that have surprised me is regarding cartridges. Other comments are how one manufacturer's gun is so superior to another and it's clear the author of the statement has no experience with the gun he is putting down.
But it isn't always the guy walking around that makes the stupid statements. Sometimes it's the "authority" behind the table.

so were you the guy with the problem behind the table ? >> what i just posted is true ! > if you don`t like Ruger # 1`s then grow up and don`t post negative comments .

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger

so were you the guy with the problem behind the table ? >> what i just posted is true ! > if you don`t like Ruger # 1`s then grow up and don`t post negative comments .

I did not read his comment as a cut to you! I maybe wrong but that was not my read.
Glad you found the 257 for your grandson. I love mine and I am giving my grandson a Rem 722. 257 Bob for his first hunting rifle. My daughter his Mom shot her first deer with it. I have a few other Roberts to give to future grandkids
Jeff

Last edited by 338reddog; 01/03/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,020 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.