Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My son wants my Sig Tu-Tone 1911 I have customized. If he gets it I'd like to replace it with an all steel commander sized bobtail if possible. What are my my least expensive options?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kenjs1
My son wants my Sig Tu-Tone 1911 I have customized. If he gets it I'd like to replace it with an all steel commander sized bobtail if possible. What are my my least expensive options?

I hear only good things about Dan Wesson's offerings. https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/commander-classic/

Ed Brown was the originator of this pattern, but you said you were interested in a less expensive offering. Ed Brown charges about $3,200.00 for his nowadays, while the Dan Wesson is only about $1,800.00.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kimber makes a bobtailed version like that that’s reasonably priced. Custom Shop Pro or something like that.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are no cheap all steel round butt or bobtail versions that I know of.

And most of the options available are lightweight frame; the only steel version that I can recall is a DW V-Bob, but Kimber may make one...... & likely would be as cheap as anything.

MM

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
How much to bob a reg frame?

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
At only $1800 you could buy me one also Ken! 🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
There are no cheap all steel round butt or bobtail versions that I know of.

And most of the options available are lightweight frame; the only steel version that I can recall is a DW V-Bob, but Kimber may make one...... & likely would be as cheap as anything.

MM

AEGIS ELITE PRO
4” barrel
Empty weight 39 oz
Bobtail steel frame
1000 +

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC, after thinking about it, the Kimber Model was their Super Carry Pro.

I carried one for a couple of years before I went back to carrying my Glock 32 in 357 Sig caliber.

It was a great carry gun, never had a problem one with it. Accurate too. Just decided I wanted more rounds while carrying, as I was traveling to the big cities quite a bit at that time.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's a Bobtail 1911 that's only around $1,000.00, but I think it has a lightweight frame.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Here's a Bobtail 1911 that's only around $1,000.00, but I think it has a lightweight frame.

Isn’t that the same outfit that builds the Tisa 1911’s ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah, the Tisas 1911A1 WWII GI replicas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah, the Tisas 1911A1 WWII GI replicas.

Cool. Bet it’s well made.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone likes to save money. On some things it’s better to buy once and cry once. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are lots of good 1911's these days; however not many with a bobtail & a steel frame. Not very many cheap 1911's though.

The bobtail is mainly an aid for not printing when carrying, & IMO, really doesn't do much for ergonomics or shooting...............& I have 3 bobtail versions.

So if the OP is buying a steel gun, then it's likely more for range use that carrying much & if that's the case, the bobtail loses a lot of appeal, at least to me.

I have an S&W, a Dan Wesson & Christensen Custom...............all are really great pistols, with the intangible feel factor going to the DW Guardian by a hair.

Yes, it's a lightweight alloy frame to go with the bobtail for better carry use, but if the OP wants to spend the money, maybe find a used one, it's an impeccable choice. The S&W Scandium frame gun for about the same money is equally good, just a slightly different feel but still great, feel.

The DW is a very clean gun with an absolute minimum of markings on the slide & frame.

None of these guns have a FPS either, if that matters to you.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Colt Combat Commander is a steel frame gun, but not bobtailed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I could have a Dan Wesson V-Bob in Kali, I would.

That said, I have been very happy with the Dan Wesson Classic Commander.

Not the least expensive, but Wesson is very hard to beat for the money ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would look for a good used Colt Series 70 Combat Commander, and go from there

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I would look for a good used Colt Series 70 Combat Commander, and go from there

Yea, forget about the bob. It's only in the head. Good holsters work.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi and thanks guys, ERic- if I do buy two- you will be getting one...........don't go holding your breath thought buddy!

These are pretty much all the ones I have seen although the SDS is new to me. Can someone fill me in. I loved my old Kimber Carry but thought it too similar in size and weight to my CZ P40 so I swapped it for a full size Sig. A friend bought the Kimber Super Pro and that thing felt remarkable - thought I felt the scalloping on it a bit much for my tastes, I have small hands - maybe that plays into my liking the bobtail for whatever reason. Sig makes a bobtail called a Nightmare but one thing Imiss is how crisp the Kimber trigger was. Just perfect.and like a well tuned rifle trigger. The Sig's is very light just not 'crisp'. If I had never had the Pro Carry I wouldn't notice it.

A lot more options from me going non bob. Of course the Dan Wesson was one of the first I thought of but a little more than I can swing and stay married. Heck the Ruger surprised me when I saw it. Thought it was pretty dang nice. Want a completed forged steel - if possible, May have to tell my son to go find his own !

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought an older Kimber Pro HD of GB awhile ago. When GB was 1/2 azz affordable. The only bobtail I have, never really carried it. Maybe once or twice? It’s a little on the heavy side for every day carry, at least for me. It is a nice shooter though. I did add the wood.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 01/04/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.