-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My preference is oak. Red oak seems to split easier than others. You couldn't give me hickory unless already split. 8 lb maul is what I use along with steel wedges

Romans 5:1
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Fucque all that. I make an elevated V to drop the wood onto and I use the Husky 28" saw to split wood. I can stand and saw at waist level no strain no pain.

Fugg that too

I run my chain into the bark and saw rounds up into quarter wedges. Faster than my 20 ton splitter used to run through em.

none of this is split, all sawn

There is a maul up in the shed with the brown recluse spiders, it can stay there.

Here’s a few we cut Friday, this is the last of that massive Shagbark hickory.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Heym06
Fucque all that. I make an elevated V to drop the wood onto and I use the Husky 28" saw to split wood. I can stand and saw at waist level no strain no pain.

Sawing length way through block, that's how guys with man buns split wood ! Nice pile of shavings to get rid of been there done that, no thanks. Probably too much soup and not enough beans in your diet! Bacon doesn't count.😁

If you u was a man, you’d have your own smokehouse and use all them curlies like I do when I process this hickory for cold smoking pork sausage

^^^^ bagged up

😃

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jerryv
I always thought that a heavy axe worked better than a maul for splitting straight grained wood. Gnarly stuff is better done with hydraulics.

And this is for people who think their walnut tree is valuable:

Jerry

Lmao , your a city boy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm not too picky, when wood comes available, I burn it. With the exception of evergreeen, I'll cut and burn whatever I can get. Better than spending 300 per cord of questionable wood. I had a bunch of poplar die off on my place for some reason, it's not the hardest/heaviest wood, but early season or late season, it does just fine.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by papalondog
Buy a Fiskars Splitting Axe! Been splitting wood off and on all my life. Bought one of these and will never use anything else!

100% ^^^

I’ve got a maul as a Christmas gift - I wondered immediately why I hadn’t tried them before. Not sure what it is about them but they flat work. Like you - been at the wood prep game for a long time now.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Love my Fiskars maul and axe!
I still prefer the feel of a nice hickory handled 3.5# axe but the Fiskars gets the job done. I stuffed the hollow composite axe handle with foam pipe insulation to eliminate the "boing" sound with every strike.

Most of the wood I cut is either dead ash or dead red elm.
Axe for the ash. Usually don't even need to stand it up.
Maul and a lot of rest breaks for the dry, twisty elm.

Last edited by kenoh2; 01/03/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been down into the single and negative digits for the last week. Warming into the upper 30's today. So far, I'm 1 and 1/2 layers into the shed. Five layers of western larch (tamarack) stacked in there to start with, and I'll likely consume about 3 and 1/2.

Have about another 5-year supply stacked in front of and behind the shed. Wish I could do Oak, but the nearest are about 5 hours away.
Have to go up in the distant horizon to get into our National Forest where they charge us $5/cord to bring it out.
I'd freeze before I'd burn walnut

Last edited by 1minute; 01/03/22.

1Minute
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Outdoor wood boiler you burn everything

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

Fugg that too

I run my chain into the bark and saw rounds up into quarter wedges. Faster than my 20 ton splitter used to run through em.

There is a maul up in the shed with the brown recluse spiders, it can stay there.

Here’s a few we cut Friday, this is the last of that massive Shagbark hickory.

Puttin Mrs. Lord to work I see.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
Been down into the single and negative digits for the last week. Warming into the upper 30's today. So far, I'm 1 and 1/2 layers into the shed. Five layers of western larch (tamarack) stacked in there to start with, and I'll likely consume about 3 and 1/2.

Have about another 5-year supply stacked in front of and behind the shed. Wish I could do Oak, but the nearest are about 5 hours away.
Have to go up in the distant horizon to get into our National Forest where they charge us $5/cord to bring it out.

Why wouldn’t you burn walnut? I’ve burned a bunch of it and when well dried it makes a good fire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We burn walnut too

Ren60 brought me several pickup loads from a big black walnut in his yard.

It seems to blow over occasionally around here in our soils unless it’s rooted in with other fencerow trees

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by slumlord

Fugg that too

Here’s a few we cut Friday this is the last of that massive Shagbark hickory.

Puttin Mrs. Lord to work I see.

Or Slum Lady? 😃

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I split the firewood with a Fiskars maul. And I whack lots of black walnut. Yes, red oak is better at 25,000 BTU per cord, but black walnut is pretty good at 22,000 BTU per cord. I am quite fond of black walnut and last year put 5 Nissan truckloads in the woodshed, along with the oak and locust. I like black walnut, it is easy to split and is pretty and has a funky smell.

What are you gonna do, chop poplar at 16,000 BTU? No better than white pine.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
How cold does it get in Tenesssee? Thought you guys were always warm down there...this is a bit disconcerting. One of my winter time activities is to pretend that one day I'm going to escape this frozen hellhole for winter, and look at maps to figure out where I'm going to theoretically go. Tenesssee seemed nice.
Still -26 outside and windy, driveway is all drifted in again. Probably won't be able to go to work without digging out, and my digging motivation is at rock bottom. Looks like another pretty cold week here, down to -40 some nights. Every year I hate it more.....someday I'll escape and be somewhere warm for winter.....yep, someday.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Y'all western boys and the tamarack. I lived out there one year, near Spokane, and the best wood was tamarack, at 20,000 BTU/cord. I told them about back in Dixie we burned red oak, which was much better. Washington boys thought I was kidding.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 1minute

That looks like the stack of wood in yard at the guys house in Drewsey. Tamarack is the best and easiest splitting wood there is for getting a hot fire going. Ranchers use it for posts and stays too….let alone shakes.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Love my Fiskars maul and axe!
I still prefer the feel of a nice hickory handled 3.5# axe but the Fiskars gets the job done. I stuffed the hollow composite axe handle with foam pipe insulation to eliminate the "boing" sound with every strike.

Most of the wood I cut is either dead ash or dead red elm.
Axe for the ash. Usually don't even need to stand it up.
Maul and a lot of rest breaks for the dry, twisty elm.

Has to be something in the water if'n you're splittin' elm by hand.

Elm is why God made motorized log splitters.

Last edited by prplbkrr; 01/03/22.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by papalondog
Buy a Fiskars Splitting Axe! Been splitting wood off and on all my life. Bought one of these and will never use anything else!

Agreed!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Fiskars as well. We burn a lot of maple here. Good heat. Lots of white birch here, not as good as the maple but ok. Yellow birch is very good but hellish to split

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (19rabbit52, 450yukon, 30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.