Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I stumbled across this. Looks like a fun little popper.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 01/01/22.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks cool, but the Rugers I’ve handled with the birdshead grip never fit my large hands.

Wish they’d do a Bisley version next.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have a Wrangler? I just can't get excited about it. In the rimfire single action genre I have a Single Six and the Wrangler hasn't appealed to me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have a Wrangler. I have a Single-Six convertible.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've seen them popping up around here for sale at different gun shops think I might have to have one myself. Already got single-six and such but I don't have a bird's head type revolver. I like the idea of the idea of the Wrangler than the heritage

Last edited by ldholton; 01/01/22.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MOGC
You guys have a Wrangler? I just can't get excited about it. In the rimfire single action genre I have a Single Six and the Wrangler hasn't appealed to me.

I have both. And like both for different reasons.

Lots to like about a cerekoted 22 revolver that only costs 180$. Mine lives in the barn. Sees rat action frequently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Ky221; 01/02/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have owned a bunch of single sixes over the years, and always wanted one with a grooved back strap like Colt had.

Had a Bearcat with the birds head grip but the ejector was to short to eject the empties all the way.

This new Wranglers ejector rod is long enough to remove empties completely.

Think I might "need" one! (GRIN!)

Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for posting - I Want One!

I've had several Ruger Birdshead grip, SA Revolvers, throughout the years
in various calibers and have sold or traded most them as I get old.

As far as any 'difference' between Ruger Single-Six and Wrangler...
I'll never sell my Single-Six Convertable for its quality & accuracy, but I have
often found myself leaving it at home while I pack a few handguns when
heading to the Sand Hills - Just because because of its 'weight'.

I bought a regular Ruger Wrangler recently and I like everything about it.
It's easy to just grab & go, accurate, dependable, & fun.

This new Wrangler, Birdshead Grip, with 3.75" barrel, is going to be my FAVORITE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are nice !

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i got a ruger wrangler birdshead grip, talo edition, just before christmas. i already have a ruger original wrangler plowhandle grip from two years ago, as well as a single six, bearcat and heritage roughrider. i probably don’t need the wrangler b.h. but i like rimfire plinkers.

i have shot my wrangler b.h. twice now with aguila, federal and cci ammo. i brought along a wrangler plowhandle, regular bearcat and sr22 for comparison. my random thoughts:

the wrangler b.h., with a 3.75” barrel, is sized well, balances nicely in the hand. that said i simply prefer the plowhandle grip of the original wrangler and single six.

of course it ate everything fine, as to be expected from a ruger single action revolver. federal ammo were a few ftf and one non-ignited round in the sr22, which popped off fine in the wrangler b.h.

at 20’ i was consistently grouping in 3-4” clusters, 3-4” to the left of my point of aim, but that is me more than the piece.

the loading gate and cylinder rod of both wranglers were a bit sticky-tight at first but oil and wipedown, and 150 rounds smoothed up each revolver. the edges of my wrangler b.h.’s loading gate and the b.h.’s grips felt sharp to my feel, a bit of fine sandpaper and grip tape solved these issues.

my biggest intial worry was, would i like its birdshead grip? i had sold off a ruger blackhawk vaquero 45acp and bearcat shopkeeper because of their b.h. grips. however the wrangler vaquero b.h. grips work for me: lower recoil than the vaquero 45acp, and fuller size & longer ejection rod than the shopkeeper.

the wrangler b.h. is a way better shooter than the better-made and pricier bearcat while only slightly bigger than the latter. if i were choosing just one i would happily get the wrangler b.h. and save $300 bucks over a bearcat. in fact i may sell off this bearcat...

the wrangler’s stiff loading gate is part of a reload system that permits a free-spinning cylinder and allows the hammer to remain down. no need to cock to reload, then decock a hammer on a chambered round, as in the bearcat, which is a huge safety plus and makes any wrangler an excellent training tool.

the desantis ambidextrous cross- and strong-side holster, included in the talo edition, is a well-made gem. it also fits a ruger blackhawk (tightly), single six and s&w k-frame.

mine was $264 taxfree, free shipping to my ffl, who charges $20. i subsequently saw them advertised under $250 (now out of stock, of course).

the sr22 remains my overall favorite semiauto pistol, even chambered in lowly 22lr. i can see a time in my over-the-horizon future when it may become my primary defensive handgun. ten 550mph, 10” deep, reliable, handy, accurate, clustered, ice-pick-jabs to center mass at 20’ will serve my humble needs.

the smaller b.h. may be preferable if one is planning to carry it around alot. i still prefer the original wrangler for its p.h. grips. if you don’t have any 22lr plinking handgun, or not yet any single action revolver, either wrangler will serve you well.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm hoping to get to handle one ,as I saw them on Ruger's web sight. My dealer had 3 of the old wranglers in the other day and I came close to getting one than rembered the new ones coming out. Good gun show next weekend, might see one there.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have owned a 6 1/2" Single Six for the past 40 years, but I can envision this Wrangler as a much handier grab and go backyard companion and easier handling plinker for the grandkids. I'll probably pick one up when they become more available.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
LGS had one of the talo ones, but sold it quick. I saw where ruger is releasing them outside of the talo version in three colors.

I shoot my wrangler more than my single six

Last edited by killerv; 01/03/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Had a birds head griped Wrangler in my hands yesterday.

It felt pretty good, but was $260.

I can buy the standard Wrangler for $200. even.

Got to kick this around and decide if the birds head is worth the extra money or not.

The standard griped Wrangler balanced and pointed well also.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The standard Wrangler in matte black followed me home yesterday.

Just couldn't justify the extra $60. at this time, plus the standard model felt/pointed really nice.

Already did a " shade tree" trigger job, by using needle nose pliers and bending the arms on the trigger spring, and working the sear 500 times.

Got the trigger down to about half of what it was. Now I just need a dry day, so I can shoot it.

Might end up with the birdshead model in the future, but am very pleased for now.

Virgil B.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.