Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
John99 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am looking at a multi-day hunting pack that has a load-shelf but is not overly large. I was comparing the Exo Mountain 1800 to the Mystery Ranch Pintler or Sawtooth. Any experiences with these packs and how they have worked for you? I can try the Mystery Ranch models at a local Scheels but not the Exo Mountain packs.

John

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The Stryker does all that, has a ton of reviews on youtube.

https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/kifaru-stryker-xl-hauler-daypack/

J
John99 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I had thought about the Stryker-XL as it appears to be very adaptable to your needs. I wasn't sure about how comfortable the frame and hip belt was. Any feedback on the comfort and ergos of this pack yourself?
I had called Kifaru and they stated you can order it and trial the pack and if you don't like it just return it for a full refund which is a really good product endorsement.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been happy with the Sawtooth for three years now. Its a great size to be used either as a day pack, or to spend a few nights out, without feeling too big. There are a few very well laid out and usable pockets, and the 270* U shaped zipper allows great access to gear whether on top, side or bottom of the pack. The Guide Light MT frame is a horse for hauling large loads of meat, and (though subjective) is as comfortable as a pack can be under heavy load. I bought the Hunting Daypack lid which can be used to add an additional 700ci when needed. The lid can also be used solo as a run and gun daypack.

The Pintler is a very well regarded pack as well. I bought the bag only, but couldn't get used to the tri zip arrangement after the Sawtooth's zipper.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/04/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My next pack will be a Mystery Ranch. The Metcalf seems to fit my needs for capacity. I have friends with the Metcalf and pop-up 38, they are very happy with the quality and comfort.

IC B2

J
John99 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the info. Eagle-mountain man can you elaborate any-more about how the 270 degrees Sawtooth zipper was preferred over the tri-zip? I have looked closely at those two packs and wasn't sure which zipper-type would be better. I liked the internal organization of the Sawtooth and the lighter weight while being slightly larger internal cubic space.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
John99,
I like that I can open the entire bag along its perimeter and have complete access to it's entire contents. I can keep the double zipper pulls half way up the side and that gives me great flexibility to open just the portion of the bag that I want access to...either just the top, just the bottom just the mid section or the entire pack. Its fast, and I don't have to undo buckles like on the face of the Pintler.

In the end, like most things, it's matter of personal preference.
This is what I prefer and it works very well for me. Lots of people like the idea of the Pintler's tri zip configuration and go that way. It's a very capable and proven I pack.

After wearing the Sawtooth on hunts for 3 years, there's not one thing that I can say, I wish they did differently.

Hold out for a good sale on Blackovis.com or Camofire.com.

Good luck

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/05/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Packs are like boots, what works great for one, may not be the best fit for another, so take the below with a grain of salt . Currently I have the Exo K3 1800, SG X-Curve 2200, approach and the Kifaru 22 Mag. My kid has the Pintler and I’ve worn it a few times.

Although I think the Kifaru is the “best” pack and has the best layout, I just can not get it comfortable. I have gone back and forth with Kifaru and they have been a great help, but just can’t get it right. The Kifaru load shelf is by far the hardest to use. The 22 Mag is by far my favorite bag.

The SG X-Curve is extremely comfortable with both day pack weights and loads. I like that you can adjust the angle of the shoulder straps. I really like the exterior optics pocket and tripod pocket on the Approach, but it is a royal pain in the ass getting in and out of the pack with the zipper configuration. The 2200 layout works for me once you cut out all the unnecessary straps and stretch cords. The load shelf is the best of all of them IMO.

I’ve only wore the Exo this year but am really liking it so far. The1800 can fill up pretty fast, but I like the layout of the bag. The shoulder strap angle can also be adjusted and are the most comfortable of them all. The load shelf is easy to use. If I wind up keeping the Exo, I’ll probably switch to the 3200 bag.

My kid really likes the Pintler and says it carry’s weight pretty well. The few times I tried it, it was pretty comfortable, but have never wore it for long.

IMO, until you use one multiple days it’s hard to say how it’s going to feel.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it’s just me but I tend to use a bigger bag for day hunts/weekend trips. I run a 3200 bag for these trips. I like having some space and keep my spotting scope protected. The nice thing about it is you can just cinch down the straps and the bag compresses small enough also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to swap in a smaller sized pack when day hunting; now I just run the SG Solo for day hikes and cinch it down. If it's a shorter multi-day hunt, I can use the same bag. If it's a longer multi-day hunt, then I'll swap in a larger bag.

You're not saving an significant weight with a smaller bag and with a regular load hauling frame, it's not any smaller externally.

I have one compatible SG day hunt sized bag left, the Avail, but it stays in it's factory configuration and is used as a day pack (outside of hunting season)

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.