Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... The only problem might be local regulations, which often mean the .375 H&H.

But have also found that local regulations in Africa are often variable with a few U.S. Franklins.

or as it was referred to me as "the local taxing authority"... whistle whistle whistle

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

K
Kudu40 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am quite capable of accurately shooting either caliber. It has become a matter of comfort and a quick follow up shot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Curious why you would ask such a question in the first place.

The way life should be.
K
Kudu40 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am quite capable of accurately shooting either caliber. It has become a matter of comfort and a quick follow up shot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But even "real" solids, such as many of today's monolithics, don't kill buffalo nearly as well as today's many excellent expanding bullets.

If a guy was only going to learn one thing about buffalo bullets; that would be the one thing. Solids are pathetic.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pathetic? Interesting word choice.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kudu, if you can shoot the 416 well, I'd use that....Buff can be tough. A 375 can be adequate for perfect shots, although an 18" barrel will reduce velocity by 150-250 fps. If the recoil or follow-up capability is an issue, put a recoil reducer or weight in the buttstock. You never know what type of shot you'll be presented with out in the bush. I'd err on the heavy side on a $15,000 hunt.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
375 h&h with a quality 300gr expanding bullet will kill a buffalo no problem. I would venture to say there are more buffalo killed every yr with a 375 h&h than all another calibers combined.
That don’t mean it isn’t fun to hunt one down a big classic caliber but is isn’t necessary.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bluefish

Hadn't thought of using that word before, but don't disagree.

Went on a safari in Tanzania in 2011. One of my companions was primarily hunting elephant, and so carried a .458 Lott with one of the modern, flat-nosed, monolithic solids. Due to being after an elephant, he didn't have any expanding bullets along--but he and his PH ran into a very big buffalo along the way. My friend shot it, very well (he'd hunted buffalo quite a bit), and then they tracked it around for a while in 100+ degree heat. He shot the buffalo again, after catching up with it again more than once, before it finally gave up the ghost.

Have seen variations on that theme with buffalo and various "modern" solids several times, in calibers above .40. When a modern expanding bullet will penetrate 6+ feet, and do far more damage, why use solids?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You forgot to tell us exactly where those bullets landed on the late, lamented buff.

The way life should be.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes.

Use a good bullet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bluefish

That's being charitable. wink

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
But even "real" solids, such as many of today's monolithics, don't kill buffalo nearly as well as today's many excellent expanding bullets.

If a guy was only going to learn one thing about buffalo bullets; that would be the one thing. Solids are pathetic.

I have always thought that some of the Buffalo's toughness reputation came from using solids.

After growing up shooting rabbits and squirrels with both solids and hollow points out my 22 rimfires, I did not even consider solids when I went after buffalo.

In my initial conversations with the PH I asked what cartridge, 375 or 404 Jeffery since I had both? 404 Jeffery
What bullets? He simply stated Barnes TSX or A-Frame, whichever shoots best. Barnes 400gr TSX

Example of one, a single shot at 40 yards. Buffalo went less than 100 yards and tipped over. No muss, no fuss

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have always thought that some of the Buffalo's toughness reputation came from using solids.

I think that's where the buffalo got it's reputation for turning bullet proof after the first shot came from, guys with a soft in the pipe and a magazine full of solids. After they use the only cartridge in their rifle worth shooting; they'd rather ascribe super powers to the animal instead of taking a critical look at their cartridge belt. wink

Having said that; buffalo can sure soak up a lot of lead.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 01/16/22.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes they can.

But then so can a squirrel when hitting them with rimfire solids. The fragmenting CCI rimfire ammo is deadly on squirrels.

Have had similar results using field points on arrows when small game hunting. NNow I prefer to use broadheads or properly designed small
game heads .

If or when I go back for buffalo, I will be taking a 416 Remington with 350gr TSX.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Yup. Many PHs want your follow up shot to inflict the most amount of damage and don't necessarily want their clients shoot solids on buff.

The irony of course is that some PHs prefer solids for giraffe as they (and not buff) are considered "thick skinned" game.

But yes, get you some Federal A Frame ammo or load some A Frames up and you'd be more than prepared for a buff. And the loads need not be screaming even with an 18" barrel.

Good luck!

ps Going to Zim in October for PG & buff with a bow.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You should be more concerned with hearing protection as your going to need plugs and muffs as well as eye protection to shield your eyes from that muzzle blast. I just can’t even imagine an 18” barrel on a 375.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one 375 with a 20" barrel and others with 23" or 24" barrels. I have never noticed any difference in muzzle blast or how loud it is. While there may be some difference with an 18" barrel, it is doubtful it would be ear splitting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Poorly hit buffalo need multiple follow-up shots. Well hit buffalo die very quickly with a single 375-270 TSX. My last 8 buffalo went an average of 30-35 paces after being hit precisely with that load.

The size of the target to kill decisively is much smaller than the size of the target which is pictured in books and which will result in death eventually. A shot in the “heart lung area” isn’t the target I am talking about. My preferred target is about the size of a softball or a large orange. It isn’t even the size of a basketball which is what most illustrations imply.

“Bigger & heavier” results in poorer shooting excepting 24 CF participants, of course.

So, the question really is “Are you enough of a marksman to hit a softball under the expected conditions?”

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking so....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot might have been a touch low. grin

Last edited by CRS; 01/17/22.

Arcus Venator
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.