Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The folks I know that own Tesla's use them for running into town or the city and commutes to work. If they need any sort of distance distance they drive their gasoline/diesel fueled vehicles.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
That picture -- and others like it -- show why my late wife and I always carried a couple of old wool army blankets, old wool sweaters and socks, water, beef jerky, hard candy, crackers, toilet paper, First Aid kit, etc., etc. in the trunks of our cars. Only needed the supplies once but they came in handy. I keep my "winter stuff" in my car trunk still. You never know ........ smile

L.W.

Looking at that photo, a little privacy to go with the toilet paper might be hard to come by. Everybody is probably playing like the homeless people and dumping between the cars.

That photo doesn't show hardly any snow at all. So what's blocking the traffic?

Have you ever been on I-95? It often looks like that on a Chamber of Commerce day

Yankees going home from Floriduh after the holidays

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Black ice can be a huge problem here. Any ice is bad because we don’t drive in it much. It’s insane if we have ice you can’t see.

Coming back from the wife's grandparents in central Texas a couple New Year's Days ago, had been watching the weather and knew Dallas/Ft Worth was going to be fun with ice. I-35 W is normally a parking lot, this time was its normal parking lot, plus every 100' a car on the shoulder that had bashed into a concrete wall. Ran about 20 mph all the way through it and never even had to stop. Not sure how I got so lucky.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
At one point yesterday, there were wrecks in both directions right next to each other. I-95 was closed in both directions. Must have been a few rubberneckers.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rainshot
Fascinating.
Looks like Texas drivers when we get a 2” snow.

Everybody knows we don’t drive in 1” of snow, let alone 2”.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Everybody’s always bitching about southern drivers that can’t drive in the snow. We don’t usually get just snow. We get rain that freezes on everything with snow on top. Then the DOT dump truck guys spend all day in their Zamboni’s really slicking it down. You might be able to talk big on the internet, but you’re full of chit if you claim to be able to negotiate a hill or curve on black, shiny ice. Hell, you can’t even stand up on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1......... Black ice can be the worst....... You can't usually see it and don't know it's there until your vehicle is travelling sideways. Looks to me like I-95 in Virginia didn't get much of anything snow wise. Then someone told me about their lack of salt & sand spreading capabilities and that they don't have the number of plows needed for keeping a lot of miles of road passable in a good winter storm. But then; that sort of thing is very rare in that part of the country. Around here it would have been a rather routine minor winter storm. The plows & salt trucks would be out doing their thing as soon as the snow started and just keep on as long as it takes. Plus; most, ( but not all by any means) drivers in snowy areas know how to drive in that stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Everybody’s always bitching about southern drivers that can’t drive in the snow. We don’t usually get just snow. We get rain that freezes on everything with snow on top. Then the DOT dump truck guys spend all day in their Zamboni’s really slicking it down. You might be able to talk big on the internet, but you’re full of chit if you claim to be able to negotiate a hill or curve on black, shiny ice. Hell, you can’t even stand up on it.

Two things can be true...
Ice is slippery and you can't drive.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
The folks I know that own Tesla's use them for running into town or the city and commutes to work. If they need any sort of distance distance they drive their gasoline/diesel fueled vehicles.

My father in law knows a guy who pulled an side by side across most of Pa, only took three charges.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There isn't a worse stretch of interstate for traffic than that stretch of I95 between Fredericksburg and Washington DC. On a good day it's insane.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
That picture -- and others like it -- show why my late wife and I always carried a couple of old wool army blankets, old wool sweaters and socks, water, beef jerky, hard candy, crackers, toilet paper, First Aid kit, etc., etc. in the trunks of our cars. Only needed the supplies once but they came in handy. I keep my "winter stuff" in my car trunk still. You never know ........ smile

L.W.

Looking at that photo, a little privacy to go with the toilet paper might be hard to come by. Everybody is probably playing like the homeless people and dumping between the cars.

That photo doesn't show hardly any snow at all. So what's blocking the traffic?

Probably one car accident and everyone slowed down to look at it. Come to Virginia and see some of the worst driving imaginable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Two things can be true...
Ice is slippery and you can't drive.

You’re not wrong, but I’m fairly well traveled and have yet to leave a place and think “Man! Those were a bunch of great driver.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How do you store water in the truck when its below zero? No, seriously, how do you do it?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Funny when folks reference “black ice” like it’s slippery +P.

I’m in for a grand 😳 😁 that southerners don’t put studded snows on for 7 months of the year.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just an observation.. The can't drive in winter weather line starts well north of VA, especially early in the winter driving season it may reach all the way to Quebec city..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
FWP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by copperking81
There isn't a worse stretch of interstate for traffic than that stretch of I95 between Fredericksburg and Washington DC. On a good day it's insane.

So true! I hate to drive that stretch of I-95.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’m in for a grand 😳 😁 that southerners don’t put studded snows on for 7 months of the year.

A few years ago we had an ice storm, but everyone in my neighborhood felt the need to go to work/town. I got around the corner (with chains on studs)) at the top of the hill about 1/4 mile up the road, and there were 2 or 3 vehicles sidewise, not going anywhere on that ice. While we were trying to get things straightened out, my next door neighbor came up and stopped half-way around the banked curve and walked up to us.

Then we watched her pickup slowly slide sidewise into the ditch...I went home and brought up a couple 5 gal buckets of sand (I always stock about 30 gals in the fall), got everyone turned around, and we all went home.

Fug work!

Last edited by las; 01/04/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-sen-tim-kaine-among-stranded-in-i-95

"Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine among stranded in I-95 winter storm disaster, says he’s been stuck 19 hours"

Best news I heard all day... hope that POS freezes his twat off.

First I’d heard, hope that worthless snide POS had to scheit in the back seat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I haven’t seen a set of chains on a vehicle in 10+ years.
As to the “black ice”. It made for good entertainment today. I saw about 30 people “breakdancing” crossing the sidewalk in front of our job today. One black chick broke the high heel off her shoe. She flopped around a good 5 seconds but stayed on her feet. I had to give her a round of applause. She told me to go Fugk myself for some reason. I truly meant it as a compliment. She coulda starred in Breakin’ 2 electric bugaboo!

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/04/22.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

If you agree that you lose and you'll pay up whether or not that's true, then we have a bet.

Now pay up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,407 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.