Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey there, doing some looking tonight and stumbled across Arno Bernard knives…believe he’s in South Africa. Looks like some nice stuff, specifically looking at the fixed blades.
I like that the materials are somewhat exotic (some more than others). Also they appear to be beautifully simplistic in their ‘blueprint’ and I get the vibe that they are function over feature…if that makes sense? Not a dig at all except that I ‘dig’ that aspect of them! Maybe I am wrong….I feel like they came from the ground up as a working knife. Some pun intended (depending on the specifics) they are literally from the ‘ground’ up. Mammoth molar, warthog ivory, giraffe bone…if you get my double entendre…probably a triple in there too wink

Just wondering if anyone has had them in hand? What you thought…I particularly like the ‘fin & fur’ w/mammoth and the ‘marmoset’ w/ kudu
I am wondering how Durable the mammoth molar is…thoughts? I imagine they are all durable…nothing gets quite as much use as a molar…bone is probably durable too and if my hunch is correct these things are meant for use…

Bohler n690….???…I’m not a steel ‘nerd’ (no dis intended)

So anyone think I’m way out of line on these? I’d love to hear from anyone who has handled them and better yet used them…I imagine at some point in life I’ll have one…lots of fine steel is passed around and discussed on here and the cold and snow has got me in a mood to bs x)

Thanks all

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interested also.

Not too sure about N690 steel though. Seems if they were going to use Bohler steel, they could have used M390, which is a big upgrade in performance from what I’ve read and used.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Interested also.

Not too sure about N690 steel though. Seems if they were going to use Bohler steel, they could have used M390, which is a big upgrade in performance from what I’ve read and used.

That I don’t know. They seem well thought out so my assumption is that there is a reason. What I’ve seen of m390 seems to be crazy expensive (unless I’m confused-probable)

One thing I’ve learned is that if it ain’t easily sharpened then I probably won’t like it. I feel like sometimes there are pretty poor return on investment in the steel department…by that I mean, the stuff is hard to sharpen I loose utility of the blade, fast!

I will have to watch someone else smarter than I re: n690…off the top of my head, seems I recall that being a “workhorse” in serviceability and utility (I may be way off ) … if I my recollection is correct

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N690 is VG-10ish, without the Japanese export restrictions. One of my favorite factory knife BARGAINS is the Quiet Carry Pilot Filet in N690...simply punches heavyweight class for $135... QC Pilot

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have half a dozen, and have given another half dozen away as gifts. They are beautiful but I am less impressed with their performace. Better performing knives for the price point, but not many as pretty.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I still have a couple sets of dyed and stabilized giraffe scales that were an Arno B product
I acquired years ago. Exceptional looking.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
you want or need a real good custom knife but it will cost you too ? this knife maker makes everything including making and hardening the blade on each knife ,does all his own leather work too, he lives in Minnesota ,his 1st name is ALLEN , cell#763 656 9540 , he also makes great fillet knives. i have a few of his knives myself . these knives do stay sharp

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.