Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Windfall
Reading through this thread tells me that lots of you guys are carrying knives with more sentimental value than you would ever want to lose. I nearly lost the Schmidt & Ziegler stock knife that my late little sister had given me back when we were just kids. Ask yourself how you would feel if you lost your edc? Now mine is a replaceable A.G. Russell mini lock back with a 2.25" drop point ATS 34 blade. That little one rides around in my jeans upper right front mini pocket and never falls out. It is a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza come deer season.

A tool doesn't get to be a favorite by sitting in a box, it gets to be a favorite thru use and experiences.

Like button for 358!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kinda just the opposite on the sentimental knife thing . Maybe cause I'm knee deep in knives ,constantly new ones incoming.
But anything that I've had for many many years ,like a Case lock back my Uncle John sent me when I was about 14 years old . I gutted my first buck with it ,I wouldn't want to lose it . So even though it has honest wear on it ,I keep it put back ,like a " collector"

I have a bunch of others with stories mostly about who they were from ,that I no longer carry .

I also have friends & clients who own very high end stuff that they carry ,but also are drawn to older knives with honest wear on them.

It's hard not to like any knife ,even the ugly ones ,lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Windfall
Reading through this thread tells me that lots of you guys are carrying knives with more sentimental value than you would ever want to lose. I nearly lost the Schmidt & Ziegler stock knife that my late little sister had given me back when we were just kids. Ask yourself how you would feel if you lost your edc? Now mine is a replaceable A.G. Russell mini lock back with a 2.25" drop point ATS 34 blade. That little one rides around in my jeans upper right front mini pocket and never falls out. It is a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza come deer season.

A tool doesn't get to be a favorite by sitting in a box, it gets to be a favorite thru use and experiences.
Some aren't tools, just sentimental keepsakes.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m careful’ish with a menefee folder I have. It doesn’t get carried daily and is a shame I guess. Daily carry knives are a mini coalition benchmade or however you spell it? Aluminum handles auto open and s30v. It’s a good knife I’ve used daily for 4 years or a little less. It’s just a good tool. My pocket knife that’s also carried daily is a smaller type trapper or 4 blade Congress. That’s what I’ve always used as a pocket knife. I swap up between a few different ones. Buck creek or case mostly. It hurt my feelings to loose the buck creek I carried for years so I swap them out not getting so attached….lol.

I don’t use the clips anymore on knives with them. I lost one for 7-8 months when my duffel bag slipped it out of my pocket and on to its sstrap luckily. That isn’t the only occasion I have had a knife pulled out by the clip. I have had a rein slide one out and the net wrap from a roll of hay twice. Haven’t permanently lost one but figured enough is enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have weak fingernails and hate folding them back so I carry automatics. Piranha P1 most commonly because they are light and have never failed me. Inexpensive Boker Kolashnikov are my latest EDC yard knife. I do carry my Chris Reeves Mnandi when out socially where snapping out an automatic may not be appreciated.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can usually be found carrying a Chris Reeve small Sebenza 21 or 31, Spyderco Para 3 (various upgraded steel blades M390, 20CV, S90V), or (for an auto) a Microtech LUDT or Benchmade 9400.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Growing up I carried Case, Schrade, Buck etc like most in my area. As an adult I think my two most carried were a Benchmade 705, now discontinued, and one of my Chris Reeve small Sebenzas; a Classic Micarta that I still carry a lot when at home - paired with a small fixed blade. On the road, depending on where I am (for instance I spend a lot of time hunting in the UK and Europe), I carry either a TRM Neutron2, or a Manly Wasp. To be honest I'm carrying the Wasp more and more wherever I am. It is just a cool badass knife...a four stop slipjoint, with guard and pocket clip in S90V, with awesome blade profile and thinnest behind the edge of any production knife out there...

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
IMG_0064 copy.jpg (30.3 KB, 630 downloads)
Last edited by Journeyman; 01/05/22.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little off topic, I apologize. My Grandpa made sure my cousin(5 years older) and I always carried a pocket knife!
Kind of a "Believe it or not" pocket knife story.
My Grandfather carried a pearl handled 2 blade pen knife with a broken tip on one blade, some rust, and missing some pearl. He carried and used that knife everywhere!
He passed in early 1974.
When I was a kid, he dropped it in a river from a boat while covering a duck blind. I heard the splash and both Grandpa and my cousin swore they saw it fall in the water. We found it stuck inside the gunnel of the old wood rowboat the next summer. A year or 2 later he lost it again in the river, this time we all saw it fall in. It was like in slow motion! My Grandpa took my pocket knife and finished what we were doing and gave it back to me. I asked him if he was mad about losing his knife, and he calmly and kind of matter of factly said "Not really, I've lost it before and it always seems to find it's way back to me".
He passed a few months after that and the knife never found it's way back as afar as we know.
30 years ago or so, I opened my dresser drawer and his knife was in the bottom of my drawer!
I showed it to my cousin and of course recognized it immediately and turned pale asking where I found Grandpas knife!
Today that pocket knife sits out on a table in my den.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, neat story. Spooky. That knife needs a pedestal.
That stock knife that I wrote about earlier that my late sister gave me was my constant deer hunting knife, then one deer season it wasn't in my pocket. I realized then that the knife meant more to me than any deer and I retraced my every step looking for it. The second week of the deer season it rolled out from under the front seat in the truck. I know, just a sentimental old guy, but that knife hasn't left the house since.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Spyderco Delica half serrated for me. I've owned 3 and this last one hasn't been lost in 20 years. It get misplaced, but not lost. I fear it will be lost in a metal detector someday.

I 'm rare I like the half serrations and it works good for cutting twine when I'm back at the farm
Now its a pocket money clip in the office usually. Holding the knife up with money & cards up has made it through several security lines because it looks like a money clip.
I never use the pocket clip because it shreds pockets.
The lightweight and flat structure lay flat in my pocket and the folded money & card keep it up in my pocket where a SAK sits at the bottom crosswise.

My other knife is my old Camillius cub scout knife my mom gave me when I was seven. It made it through my farm years and college, but she is loose. Its slightly smaller than a SAK Pioneer I have and I carry the cub scout knife occasionally for variety.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Crazy stories.

And here I thought my Dad digging up his sisters Ouija board and putting under their bed was funny! LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[url=https://postimg.cc/T5dSc9Bc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
North Arm Knives Skaha

Last edited by woodson; 01/06/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woodson
[url=https://postimg.cc/T5dSc9Bc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
North Arm Knives Skaha

I like that!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So touching and emotional...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have carried a small 3 bladed Schrade folder in my pocket for the last 50 years or so.
Some stainless blades and some carbon.
I have worn out about 4 of them and still have a couple in reserve. All USA made.

IF I need anything more, it is a fixed blade.

Just my favorite.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 01/09/22.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Benchmade Rukas or a Bugout

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been carrying a TL-29 since 1973 when I was issued my first one in the Navy. Gone through about 4 of them since. Not quite as fancy or handy as some the one hand flippers some of you guys use but stays sharp and never lets me down.
Just a simple man.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was rotating through knives from Kershaw, Benchmade, CRKT, Gerber, etc. until I bought a Spyderco Delica, then a Byrd, and finally a Spyderco Manix 2 Blue. Was biased against the Byrd/Spyderco until I tried them, and now I prefer them over everything else. Too bad they are in CO, and the other big names are local.

Manix 2 has been my daily since 2019. No other knife has lasted that long. I normally get bored or find something that I don't like about a knife but the Manix 2 sticks around. I like the two-way texturing on it. I had a Benchmade Mini Barrage in D2 that was probably one of my least favorite knives due to lack of texturing.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the blade marking on my Spyderco PM2. It says, Golden Colorado, USA Earth. Nice!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

183 members (2UP, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 24 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,528
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.