Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The best one is the one that pulls up the best for you ( fit and balance), for me that is the Benelli M2
It’s like it’s part of me, it’s creepy how fast I can kill something with it.

Then it comes down to mechanics and quality of the gun itself.

I love my Benelli M2, its fit, the way it pulls up and points. I couldnt agree more with your words.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oakster
The best one is the one that pulls up the best for you ( fit and balance), for me that is the Benelli M2

I love my Benelli M2, its fit, the way it pulls up and points. I couldnt agree more with your words.

M2 for me in both 12 and 20. Great shotguns.

My A-5’s don’t collect much dust. But, I prefer them for upland bird instead of waterfowl.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Beretta a300 outlander, mine has run perfectly for several years now.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My friends who are avid waterfowlers keep Stoeger M3000's around as loaners for guests...admit that they are functionally the same as their guns that cost much more.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Browning A-5 , but they are not normally found at bargain prices . I sold the ones I had when they started bringing over $900 for average looking ones . The only auto I kept was my Remington Sportsman 48 I have had so long I don't even remember buying it . Never regretted owning it though , never had the first issue with it . Have owned them in several gauges and they all worked just fine . I kept the 16 and let the others go since I seldom shoot automatics anymore . Last one I bought I gave $250 for , shot it about 10 years and made $25 on it when I sold it . For the money it would be hard to buy a better shotgun than the Sportsman 48 , you could probably buy one in each gauge for what a Beretta cost ..

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 12/26/21.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have something approaching 10,000 rounds through a Win Super X2.

Everything from light clays loads to 3.5 inchers as fast as I could squeeze the trigger in a snow goose hunt.

Completely happy/impressed.

Lots of Beretta autos too but they weren't "better" than that Winchester

Me

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A used Browning Gol/Silver/Winchester SC2/3 is a lot of shotgun for the $ right now. They’re vastly underrated. My Japanese Auto -5 Stalkers have been all over for ducks and geese for the last 25-30 years. I tried Benellis, Berettas, and Franchis….but kept having to drag out the Stalker Auto 5s to fill in for stuff that wouldn’t keep going. I’ve got a couple of Golds that give great service, 12 & 20, and a new A5 I’m wringing out now. I like how it handles, but only time/rounds will tell. If you have to buy Turkish guns, then just skip over the newer Beretta, Benelli, and Franchi stuff for a Stoeger….might as well get your moneys worth, and have honest stamping on the receiver and a decent POI.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have seen Remington VersaMax 12 GA in the $600 range. They are very soft shooting shotguns for the money. My brother has a Beretta with the Kick Saver system in the stock which is really nice. I think he gave $1,000 for it used. You could always look at a Beretta Pintail if you don't mind just shooting 3 inch loads. I bought a Pintail used for $400 and it shoots nice, but kicks a little more than some.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't waterfowl hunt. I do have a Winchester SX4, Browning A5 and a Browning Maxus II, among others. The SX4 and the Maxus II are very comparable. Both are Browning-made in the same factory. Both are short-stroke gas guns. The Browning is a little more refined with a quick-load feature and a magazine cut off lever that the Winchester doesn't have. The Maxus has a center bead, the Winchester does not. The sleeve assembly on the Maxus is all steel, and it's fiber reinforced plastic and steel on the SX4. Both are equals in terms of function and shootability. The Winchester seems a little lighter. Both have chrome plated chambers and bores. The gas piston assemblies look exactly the same. The recoil pads feel like exactly the same material, except the Maxus pad is a little more roudned while the SX4's has some sharper edges. The SX4 is $700-$800 less than the Maxus. You can find SX4s for $799.

I say the SX4 is a sleeper shotgun. I've run 2 3/4" #4 and #6 through it for squirrels, 3" 00 and #5, and 3.5" 00 and #5 without a hickup. I'm looking to pick one up in 20 gauge.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/05/22.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^

ALL Silver, Maxus, SX2/3/4 are spawned by and have almost the same gas system as the Browning Gold series. It’s why I believe the Gold series is vastly underrated. They’ve continued to refine the ergonomics, but nothing is wrong with that gas system design….unless you know you’ll never shoot cases of heavy 3-3.5” turkey/deer loads…..then you can also have the piston welded closed, so it’s more suited to super light target loads….or so I hear. I’ve not seen the need. I’ve got Gold 12 & 20s, but wouldn’t mind a SX4 20ga, as the 20s keep the speed load, and I’m used to it from all my Auto 5s. I just wish they all had slight humps…..just because I like it.;)

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I love my stoeger m3500. Has never let me down in the blind or on the trap shooting line.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Subbed

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Beretta 391 for me.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just added a new Camo stock to my VersaMax this weekend. I bought my gun used and it had a painted stock on it. Never could get all the old paint off so went with this camo one for $40 off ebay. Looks better now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Oakster

Couldn’t agree more, I love my M2 waterfowl edition. If you’re on a budget and aren’t opposed to recoil operated, I’d hunt down a Benelli M1. I used one for over a decade and only one issue I can recall that was attributed to a powder coked trigger assembly in 25* temps. I learned them to keep the trigger groups clean and dry but to be fair everyone was having issues in our group that morning including a Browning Gold and Super X2. For reliability I prefer my Benelli guns that’s why I have 3 and a 20 ga inertia gun too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Saiga!

Day in and day out, nothing will keep up with the abuse a Saiga will take. They will even beat a Timex watch.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weatherby Element I bought three years or so back is doing fine.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Maxxus, Browning A-5 new and old, Beretta 390.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
FOR THE $$$
Do not overlook the CZ 1012.
Another one most people never even know of only academy sells it that I know of ATA Venza .. kind of a unique shotgun on how it works exactly I bought one and I've literally shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no issues a friend of mine bought a Beretta a400 at exactly the same time and had to work on it once shooting about the same amount of rounds as my Venza that has not been worked on

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by bull
I'd try to find a used Beretta 390.

Yep. A used Beretta 390 for the easy win.

Used to be, but parts have gotten hard to find and expensive.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.