-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just be aware of the caveats on the headspace being tight that I mentioned...........................

They do it that way intentionally.

MM

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A barrel not yet mentioned is X-Caliber, They make a lightweight and I have been impressed with their quality.
They can be a bit spendy but they have a sale a couple times a year. Love my WOA's but none of them are lightweights

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had four ARP barrels and they have all shot well. My 16 inch scout is 28 ounces and shoots several loads of great.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ballistic advantage has been great for my builds

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Also like faxon

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Montanaman.

Im confused about Wilson headspace and your info. Not doubting or calling you out. But do you mind to clarify

This is from their FAQ’s section

“Our AR barrels are individually headspaced to a master USGI bolt to .002-003” tolerance. They will work with any quality USGI “Mil-Spec” parkerized bolt without headspacing. Plating or other finishes may add tolerances that decrease headspace. To check headspace properly you must follow the manufacturers recommendations on gauge use. With a clean chamber remove the ejector and extractor from your bolt. Do not slam headspace gauges in your chamber using spring tension or excessive force. Use only gravity or hand pressure to gauge check your chambers.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Montanaman.

Im confused about Wilson headspace and your info. Not doubting or calling you out. But do you mind to clarify

This is from their FAQ’s section

“Our AR barrels are individually headspaced to a master USGI bolt to .002-003” tolerance. They will work with any quality USGI “Mil-Spec” parkerized bolt without headspacing. Plating or other finishes may add tolerances that decrease headspace. To check headspace properly you must follow the manufacturers recommendations on gauge use. With a clean chamber remove the ejector and extractor from your bolt. Do not slam headspace gauges in your chamber using spring tension or excessive force. Use only gravity or hand pressure to gauge check your chambers.”

There's nothing to be confused about.

Two different WC barrels & 6 different bolts from Radian, Faxon, RCA, RTB, Geiselle & AO..............all "mil-spec" bolts from very reputable sources, with either a phosphate or nitrided surface. ( I actually bought 2 additional bolts hoping one would fit)

None of the bolts would close on a 1.4636" Forster Go gauge; this is a minimum HS gauge & measure at "zero" with an RCBS 223/5.56 gauge.

This means that in practice, they are not exactly delivering barrels that they say they are delivering with .002-.003" of HS.

However, there are manufacturing tolerances on bolts that can, & do, affect HS, but given the bolts tested & measured as being within spec for bolt dimensions, my conclusion is that Wilson barrels at very tight on their barrel / extension HS dimensions.

If a bolt in a given barrel / extension will not close on a Go gauge, it is also very likely that it will not close on all brands of new factory ammo & that is a problem, IMO. YMMV

Various brands of ammo will typically measure from around minus .003-4", max to as little as zero, as measured in reference to a 1.4636 HS dimension. (However, having said that, as an AR bolt slams closed it will generally crush fit rounds that are around .002" too long, if that situation is OK with you; it is not OK with me as a steady diet routine. (I have ammo from 7 or 8 manufacturers & some would close, some would not.)

So I selected the phosphate bolt that was the closest to closing on the Go gauge, (would not close on a minus .001" gauge, but would close on a minus .002" gauge), & stoned & measured each bolt lug to get the bolt to close on the Go gauge.

I have built probably 25+ guns, with a variety of barrels & I have never had any other barrel from any other manufacturer that I could not get a bolt to fit, almost all w/o sorting bolts.

With 2 WC barrels, both were tight on HS to the point that I would not use them as is & WC will not provide a matched bolt...................I called & offered to buy one, they said they don't sell matched bolts & barrels.

The barrels are fine otherwise & once HS'ed correctly, shoot just fine.

MM

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the clarification!

Guess I won’t be buying that barrel and dealing with that lol

Lots of other high quality barrels without that to deal with

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Two different WC barrels & 6 different bolts from Radian, Faxon, RCA, RTB, Geiselle & AO..............all "mil-spec" bolts from very reputable sources, with either a phosphate or nitrided surface. ( I actually bought 2 additional bolts hoping one would fit)

None of the bolts would close on a 1.4636" Forster Go gauge; this is a minimum HS gauge & measure at "zero" with an RCBS 223/5.56 gauge.

This means that in practice, they are not exactly delivering barrels that they say they are delivering with .002-.003" of HS.

However, there are manufacturing tolerances on bolts that can, & do, affect HS, but given the bolts tested & measured as being within spec for bolt dimensions, my conclusion is that Wilson barrels at very tight on their barrel / extension HS dimensions.

<SNIP>

With 2 WC barrels, both were tight on HS to the point that I would not use them as is & WC will not provide a matched bolt...................I called & offered to buy one, they said they don't sell matched bolts & barrels.

Ya know, that's what I like about White Oak - I've never had a barrel from them that wasn't dead-nuts on headspace. And what seems to be a perfect compromise between tightness and reliability. I've had a lot of barrels from other smiths that were finicky, some so finicky that I ended up running a reamer into them.

FWIW Rock River has been very uniform in their match barrel headspace too, but they are looser than WOA chambers.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree completely on WOA, also on the barrels I've gotten from Paul Craddock (who used to work for Holliger at WOA).

And in addition, they will both provide a fitted bolt, if you choose to buy one from them.

Both also are easy to talk to & very helpful & accomodating; WC's customer service & attitude leave a lot to be desired in comparison.

MM

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 for AR15Performance.com I have numerous barrels by H and they are all shooters and light weight.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Take a look at Black River Tactical barrels. They do a very nice job!

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
For an off the shelf barrel, that is usually in stock w/o a long weight, buy the 16" Ranier Ultra-Match.

If you are not happy with it they will take it back within 90 days; I'd be shocked if you aren't happy, their UM barrels just flat shoot and are reputed to be Criterion blanks.

Or take the WC, it's a very nicely done barrel, absent dealing with the headspace issue.

Pretty much any custom from any of the major names is going to be a 6 month wait right now.

WOA is not a bad wait, usually less than a month, but they are not really into 16" light / medium barrels although they do have an 18" 3-Gun barrel that comes in at at just under 31 oz..................their barrels are top notch for accuracy.

MM

MM, have you had any green mountain tubes? A buddy from my club has one and it shoots better than his 18" barrel. He shoots 9 shot groups for some odd reason, but has no choice in our AR shoots to shoot 10 shots. His has often really impressed me with sub moa 9 shot groups. He likes running 75gr Hornady HPBT match bullets too. I'd be happy if I could get my 20" barrels to shoot as consistently as his does with that bullet. My rifles seem to prefer Sierra for some reason.. I believe he said his 16" barrel is right around 26 oz's..

I run a 18 inch 1-7 twist GM barrel on my service rifle. Been running it since 2018 last year I ran a 224 Valkyrie most of the season for AR tactical class. But shot my service rifle handful of time in xtc matches. The barrel still shooting fine, the 3 bullets it will not shoot are 68gr hornady bthp, 69gr nosler bthp and 75gr hornady bthp. It will shoot 55gr nosler ballistic tips, 69gr smk, 77gr smk and 75gr eld-m (single load)

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TxJW
+1 for AR15Performance.com I have numerous barrels by H and they are all shooters and light weight.

He makes a phenomenal barrel. I have two of his 224 Valkyrie barrels and run the red rocket in them. My daughter got her master designation using one of his barrel in a 224 Valkyrie and the red rocket load.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Je4bowhuntin
Ballistic advantage has been great for my builds

I picked up one their barrels 18inch 5.56 chamber holt chit that thing shoots 77smk very well. As long as the shooter knows how to read wind it will hold the 10ring at 600yds all day long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't read all the replies, because I don't really have time. But here is what I have and I love it. I have not shot it for groups, but I'm sure it would do very well. The Ballistic Advantage barrels are typically spoken highly of.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...r-15-barrel-w-lo-pro-premium-series.html

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ballistic Advantage is playing barrel roulette................win some, lose some, IMO.

Depends on how picky you are & what your expectations are, I guess.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had great luck with the Faxon Gunner 16" barrel its a lightweight profile and the quality for me has been topnotch. I actually have 4 of the Faxon lightweight barrel. 3 -18" and a 16". All are 1:8 twist. seem to shoot a variety of loads well.
Let me know if you need some pictures of it. I can always send you some.
Jerod

(1*)

Aim Small Miss Small

A
A
Compass lake Engineering, WOA or Criterion in about that order. If you want a chrome lined barrel than Criterion.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
After years back I build a lightweight 16" 5.56 to keep in a smaller case in the truck. I used a BHW 3 groove 8 twist light weight and I had it shooting 1/2 moa with reloaded 75g Hornady BTHPs but after only a few hundred rounds something went and I've never been able to get it to shoot that well since. I've swapped scopes and tried other things but think it's just the barrel. It's a carbine length gas tube.

I want to put together a new one and start over. I have an aero M4e1 upper and lower set and aero 15" handguard, a faxon bcg, and a triggertech adjustable ready to go. I just need to find a good 16" preferably wilde chambered mid gas this time, lightweight, preferably nitride ss, or just SS barrel capable of 1/2 moa after load development. Any ideas where to find such a barrel? The last few I tried were ballistic advantage and I've not been impressed with those.

Bb

Go remeasure the OAL and measure Ogive on some those loaded 75gr BTHP. Guarantee most will be off .010 from others. I never seen are more inconsistent bullet in my life. You will literally have two piles of bullets after you measure the ogive. Save yourself alot of heartache and spring for some 69gr smk and give that barrel another try. Anyhow after you measure those 75’s You probably see why your accuracy went to chit. One of the chittiest bullet I ever tried were the 68gr hornady bthp. Followed by nosler 77gr bthp the ppu 75gr bthp is better than that and they are very inconsistent when it comes oal as well..

Last edited by 79S; 01/27/22.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.