Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

pullit, My .243 A.I. is a 1x8 so it's about like shooting the 6mm Creed, or the other way around, they both shoot the same bullets, i think the .243 is a little faster but haven't checked yet. Rio7

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to coyote hunt on a cattle farm that was literally covered up with them. One winter an old bull died, and I figured I'd kill a pile of coyotes hunting over the carcass. Nothing touched it.............not buzzards, nor possums, nor coyotes. It just lay there and dried up to a pile of skin and bones. You could see where the coyotes did drag off a few bones eventually, but I thought maybe the hide was so tough that nothing to tear their way through it in order to get to the meat.

I've seen the same thing on several other cattle farms I've hunted, including my own. They just don't seem to go after the older animals like they do a smaller one. There are several deer hit my cars every year out on the highway next to my driveway, as it's a major deer crossing there. I'll always drag the deer off the road, and put them in a back field with the idea to hunt over them. I've found that they don't last over a couple of days, until there's nothing left. I guess venison tastes better than beef.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting Rio!

It seems like when the dead critter was pumped full of medicine before death, the coyotes don't get after them.

When they aren't medicated before dying, they get gobbled up pretty quick.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good shooting, Blue.
I've seen those coyotes crawl completely inside dead cows

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I used to coyote hunt on a cattle farm that was literally covered up with them. One winter an old bull died, and I figured I'd kill a pile of coyotes hunting over the carcass. Nothing touched it.............not buzzards, nor possums, nor coyotes. It just lay there and dried up to a pile of skin and bones. You could see where the coyotes did drag off a few bones eventually, but I thought maybe the hide was so tough that nothing to tear their way through it in order to get to the meat.

I've seen the same thing on several other cattle farms I've hunted, including my own. They just don't seem to go after the older animals like they do a smaller one. There are several deer hit my cars every year out on the highway next to my driveway, as it's a major deer crossing there. I'll always drag the deer off the road, and put them in a back field with the idea to hunt over them. I've found that they don't last over a couple of days, until there's nothing left. I guess venison tastes better than beef.

My curiosity is killing me... to test your theory did you ever try to go over and cut the dead cow open so there was access to at least the internal organs? It seems those are the first things they take on deer and elk... once accessed, they might hang around for a free meal...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by JamesJr

My curiosity is killing me... to test your theory did you ever try to go over and cut the dead cow open so there was access to at least the internal organs? It seems those are the first things they take on deer and elk... once accessed, they might hang around for a free meal...

I did not cut any open, really never crossed my mind to do so. I would have thought that they could have gone in through the rectum and opened the animal up there. To be specific.......I lost a large cow to grass tetany a few years ago. That's a condition that occurs in early spring when the grass begins to green up, and cows consume too much of it, and it can kill them. The solution is to feed a high magnesium mineral, with the magnesium preventing the poisoning from happening. Anyway, I drug her off to a remote area of the farm, in a place where I've killed many coyotes over the years. She lay there and nothing touched her for months. I'd see coyote tracks passing right by the carcass, yet they never attempted to eat of off it. That cow died with no drugs in her system, so that was not the reason for nothing eating it. I just thought maybe that the hide was too tough to chew on.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 more the pale is a young female, the black phase is a good sized old male. got 1 more yesterday but didn't take pic's, Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you've got yourself a nice temporary setup RIO7. So what is your current total off of this one critter so far?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

BigSky, 7 so far, but i am running out of cow,may get 1 or 2 more we will see. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Part of me wishes I had that many opportunities here to shoot that many coyotes, but the other part is glad that we don't have that many coyotes. Coyote numbers here are down compared to what they once were.

IC B3

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

1 More, cold and windy, messed up her face. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice job Rio.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7

BigSky, 7 so far, but i am running out of cow,may get 1 or 2 more we will see. Rio7

That's an excellent return on your time investment. I'm jealous. Well done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle, specs?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How does that chalk branch feel off hand RIO? That’s the only vert grip stock that has really interested me.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They feel great. But the bottom of the foreend is kinda 'V' shaped......

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Model 70 fan, Feels great, and i like the v shape fore arm, works real well with sticks. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RIO7

Model 70 fan, Feels great, and i like the v shape fore arm, works real well with sticks. Rio7

Sweet! It looks like a nice stock for handling different shooting positions(styles)

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Don't cross the cow pasture. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How much cow you got left RIO?

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
534 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.