Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#16805714 01/05/22
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

One of our old long horn cows died, yesterday this morning i set up just before day light, at 521 yards from her, when it got light enough to see there was a coyote on the other side her of having breakfast, i waited till i could see good and when he popped his head up i drilled him, about 1/2 hour later in came a female, she gave me a good shot so i drilled her, used a new rifle i sited in yesterday, and doped to 700 yards, 6mm creed, 103 eld-x, about like shooting a .243 A.I. fun way to start the day. Rio7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good shooting
Best of a bad situation.

Hal

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome Rio. Nice shooting.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice work, go get 'em!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good shooting!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good looking gun and it did the job. Good Coyotes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Properly incentivized and managed coyotes.

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nicely done, Sir!

Two more days left in deer season then it will be time to chase the yoties!

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

This dead cow is a producer, got 2 more Coyotes off her this morning, will post pic's later. Rio7

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For some reason, coyotes rarely eat on dead cattle here, or at least large ones. Dead calves and deer are all gobbled up by them overnight, but I've seen cows lay there all winter and never be touched, yet there was coyote tracks all around them. I can't tell you how many dead cows I set up and hunted over until I figured out it was not going to happen.

I've often wondered if their hide was too tough for a coyote to tear through and get to the good parts.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JamesJr, We cut the head off this old cow, maybe that makes a starting place for Coyotes, Rio7

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting Blue... that is pretty cool... Congrats on the shots...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

This dead cow is a producer, got 2 more Coyotes off her this morning, will post pic's later. Rio7

I suspect those won't be the last either. Stay at 'em!

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Got these this morning, maybe more in the morning. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I killed an even dozen off a dead horse the year I got my 17 Hornet. But I split him open to allow some gut to fall out and then drug him behind the tractor for a few miles to lay a scent trail. Have another cripple that needs put down, and I should probably shoot him and do the same. Had a vet put down my kids pony one year and the coyotes wouldn't touch it. I reckon the drug made him smell/taste funny......

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

We had a horse die up on the North Ranch a few years ago i shot 5 Coyotes off him one evening, most i have ever killed in one sitting. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
For some reason, coyotes rarely eat on dead cattle here, or at least large ones. Dead calves and deer are all gobbled up by them overnight, but I've seen cows lay there all winter and never be touched, yet there was coyote tracks all around them. I can't tell you how many dead cows I set up and hunted over until I figured out it was not going to happen.

I've often wondered if their hide was too tough for a coyote to tear through and get to the good parts.

Depends what the cow died from. I think the coyote can sense those that die from disease.

A bud had a few cattle die one fall from anaplasmosis. Crows were the only thing that would touch those cattle. Possums wouldn't even fugg w em.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really like the 6mm Creed. I have a 243AI but don't use it much as it has a 10 twist (when I built it 100 gr were about as heavy as anyone was making). This makes me want to get my 6mm CM out and play with it some more.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
by the way, nice work on the yotes

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

pullit, My .243 A.I. is a 1x8 so it's about like shooting the 6mm Creed, or the other way around, they both shoot the same bullets, i think the .243 is a little faster but haven't checked yet. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to coyote hunt on a cattle farm that was literally covered up with them. One winter an old bull died, and I figured I'd kill a pile of coyotes hunting over the carcass. Nothing touched it.............not buzzards, nor possums, nor coyotes. It just lay there and dried up to a pile of skin and bones. You could see where the coyotes did drag off a few bones eventually, but I thought maybe the hide was so tough that nothing to tear their way through it in order to get to the meat.

I've seen the same thing on several other cattle farms I've hunted, including my own. They just don't seem to go after the older animals like they do a smaller one. There are several deer hit my cars every year out on the highway next to my driveway, as it's a major deer crossing there. I'll always drag the deer off the road, and put them in a back field with the idea to hunt over them. I've found that they don't last over a couple of days, until there's nothing left. I guess venison tastes better than beef.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting Rio!

It seems like when the dead critter was pumped full of medicine before death, the coyotes don't get after them.

When they aren't medicated before dying, they get gobbled up pretty quick.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good shooting, Blue.
I've seen those coyotes crawl completely inside dead cows

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to coyote hunt on a cattle farm that was literally covered up with them. One winter an old bull died, and I figured I'd kill a pile of coyotes hunting over the carcass. Nothing touched it.............not buzzards, nor possums, nor coyotes. It just lay there and dried up to a pile of skin and bones. You could see where the coyotes did drag off a few bones eventually, but I thought maybe the hide was so tough that nothing to tear their way through it in order to get to the meat.

I've seen the same thing on several other cattle farms I've hunted, including my own. They just don't seem to go after the older animals like they do a smaller one. There are several deer hit my cars every year out on the highway next to my driveway, as it's a major deer crossing there. I'll always drag the deer off the road, and put them in a back field with the idea to hunt over them. I've found that they don't last over a couple of days, until there's nothing left. I guess venison tastes better than beef.

My curiosity is killing me... to test your theory did you ever try to go over and cut the dead cow open so there was access to at least the internal organs? It seems those are the first things they take on deer and elk... once accessed, they might hang around for a free meal...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

My curiosity is killing me... to test your theory did you ever try to go over and cut the dead cow open so there was access to at least the internal organs? It seems those are the first things they take on deer and elk... once accessed, they might hang around for a free meal...

I did not cut any open, really never crossed my mind to do so. I would have thought that they could have gone in through the rectum and opened the animal up there. To be specific.......I lost a large cow to grass tetany a few years ago. That's a condition that occurs in early spring when the grass begins to green up, and cows consume too much of it, and it can kill them. The solution is to feed a high magnesium mineral, with the magnesium preventing the poisoning from happening. Anyway, I drug her off to a remote area of the farm, in a place where I've killed many coyotes over the years. She lay there and nothing touched her for months. I'd see coyote tracks passing right by the carcass, yet they never attempted to eat of off it. That cow died with no drugs in her system, so that was not the reason for nothing eating it. I just thought maybe that the hide was too tough to chew on.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

2 more the pale is a young female, the black phase is a good sized old male. got 1 more yesterday but didn't take pic's, Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you've got yourself a nice temporary setup RIO7. So what is your current total off of this one critter so far?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

BigSky, 7 so far, but i am running out of cow,may get 1 or 2 more we will see. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Part of me wishes I had that many opportunities here to shoot that many coyotes, but the other part is glad that we don't have that many coyotes. Coyote numbers here are down compared to what they once were.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

1 More, cold and windy, messed up her face. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice job Rio.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BigSky, 7 so far, but i am running out of cow,may get 1 or 2 more we will see. Rio7

That's an excellent return on your time investment. I'm jealous. Well done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle, specs?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How does that chalk branch feel off hand RIO? That’s the only vert grip stock that has really interested me.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They feel great. But the bottom of the foreend is kinda 'V' shaped......

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Model 70 fan, Feels great, and i like the v shape fore arm, works real well with sticks. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Model 70 fan, Feels great, and i like the v shape fore arm, works real well with sticks. Rio7

Sweet! It looks like a nice stock for handling different shooting positions(styles)

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Don't cross the cow pasture. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How much cow you got left RIO?

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Model 70 fan, We picked up what was left of the cow yesterday, and took it to the dump, before all the bones get scattered in the hay field and poke holes in tractor tires, this last Coyote, was just crossing the hay field about 200 yrds from the road. doom on him. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Sit'in on a gopher mound barking at me this morning,while i fed cows, not a good idea. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sit'in on a gopher mound barking at me this morning,while i fed cows, not a good idea. Rio7

grin grin

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work on the vermin Rio!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rio must live in the coyote capital of the country. Good shooting.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JamesJr, We have more than our share of predators, that's for Damn sure. Rio7

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice Blue.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Two fawn Killers dead! Good deal! Thanks for the pictures!

Keith

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good deal

How are you liking that 6 creed so far RIO

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Dude270, The 6 creed shoots good, very accurate i am shooting factory 103 gr. eld-x, as i got two10 box cases of it with the rifle when i traded for it. Compared to my .243 A.I. i think it's slower, but i shoot 105 gr. Scenar over H4350,in my .243 A.I. at 3050 fps, haven't shot anything but predators with it so far, it's killing the hell out of them, i like the rifle a lot. Rio7

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow Rio that cow turned into a good bait pile for you. Hope to work on my shooting to get comfortable at distances like that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Is the 6creed a Rem. 700?
Who makes that stock?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

ol mike, not a rem.700, it's a Curtis action, with a Proof Research Barrel, stock is a A.G. Action,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rio7 looks like you have a few less worries thru the calving season for sure. Have you used any thermal scopes at night on them? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Magnum Bob, I have a FLIR thermal, mounted on a AR-15, suppressed, use it mostly to shoot pigs, i have shot a few predators with it at night, but to be honest, when supper time comes and it gets dark i have enjoyed all the day i can stand, Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Little Coyote little gun, .22 all I had with me. Rio7

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

ol mike, not a rem.700, it's a Curtis action, with a Proof Research Barrel, stock is a A.G. Action,

OK, nice rifle and great coyote reduction.
You love you a jeep don'tcha. smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Coon, died from road rage, he was in my road this morning,

Coyote crossed the road out a way's, i kept going for about 1/4 mile and pulled into the brush, walk back a little way, and sat down by a fence post, for about 10-15 drinking coffee and enjoying the sunrise, started squalling like a Jackrabbit getting his balls crushed,here come mister Coyote, bang flop, real old coyote almost no teeth. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
ol mike,

Yep, couldn't do what i do without my jeeps, SxS comes close but you can't pick up a 1200# critter, not near as comfortable, to be in all day. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Part of me wishes I had that many opportunities here to shoot that many coyotes, but the other part is glad that we don't have that many coyotes. Coyote numbers here are down compared to what they once were.

Numbers aren’t down North of you, James Jr. I’ve had more pictures on trail cameras this year than ever before. I had four in one food plot Monday! I live up close to the Ohio river. I’m recovering from surgery or I’d be out there after them.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio, you bloody bastid. laugh laugh

Good shootin'.

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Traffic is getting bad around here, had a road rage fight with a coon this morning coon lost, Coyote was eating on a road kill pig one of the ranch hands hit with his pickup last night, greedy bitch was as full as a tick, but didn't look up when i saw her this morning, big mistake. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround

Numbers aren’t down North of you, James Jr. I’ve had more pictures on trail cameras this year than ever before. I had four in one food plot Monday! I live up close to the Ohio river. I’m recovering from surgery or I’d be out there after them.

I think it all depends on where you are. The local Mennonites around me hunt and trap them religiously, especially at night, and have put a dent in the numbers. Also, the ones they don't kill become educated, and are almost impossible to call in. I used to see coyotes on a regular basis while out doing farm work, and have killed a bunch of them that way, but that's just not the case anymore. If you get outside of the Mennonite farms, you can can still find them, and in pretty good numbers too.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Got this one way out there, this morning, mousing in north ranch cow pasture. 6.5 PRC will each out and get -um. Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

So far a I’ve seen a

6 Creed and a 6.5 PRC…. What is the AR chambering ?

How do you like your Helix Action ? I shoot a Vector that is chambered in 6 Creed as well… but I put a Krieger barrel on it.

The PRC is a Templar from Georges shop.. nice.

I’m building a AR10.. I’ll most likely do a 6 creed or 6.5 creed barrel, and a 358 barrel….

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/22/22.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Spotshooter, Ar is just a plan .223, parts gun. Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Rio. I built a 6.8 SPC II AR a few years back that I used on deer and Yotes, they don’t shoot as flat as a 223 but they anchor them more like a 6mm. I’ve always liked 243 like terminal performance on yotes.

Nice rigs.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Spotshooter, At one time or other i have used just about every chambering from .204 to 300 WBY rifle to kill Coyotes, but I have never found any Chambering that worked better than a fast twist .243 or .243 A.I. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Couple More. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that about 18 off 1 cow, imagine if it was watched at night also. You sure piled them up, good job and good shootin.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Spotshooter, At one time or other i have used just about every chambering from .204 to 300 WBY rifle to kill Coyotes, but I have never found any Chambering that worked better than a fast twist .243 or .243 A.I. Rio7

RIO,
Been following this post and I'm kicking around the idea of an AR in 6 Creed primarily for yotes and was wondering what twist / bullet you've had good luck with in the .243.....thinking a 6 creed would basically perform the same.
Great post by the way and keep up the culling!
rookie

Last edited by rookieatbest; 01/27/22. Reason: spelling correction

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
DANNYL, Cow's been gone for a week, but i am still killing every Coyote I can get a shot at.

rookieatbest, I'm new to the 6mm Creed, and have used Hornaday 103 gr. ELD-X only so far, as i got 2 cases when i traded for the 6mm, my 6mm is torn down now waiting on new bottom metal and a box mag. mine is a 1 X 8 twist, love the rifle but hate the blind Mag. should have it up and running next week. as for a AR-6mm i don't know how that would work?? my only ARs are .223.

Shot this one this morning, Texas Heart shot, at about 80 yrds. Rio7

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Impressive!

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Don't HOWL at me!! Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Add another one to the pile. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7, how many of the coyotes do you get within a year? And how do you get them? From a treestand, out of blind at the ground, just by happenstance from the Jeep? Do you bait them?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio, you're on a mission. laugh

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

SKane, This ranch is like a lunch bucket for predators.

Elmer Keith, I keep a log book on every thing i kill, last year i killed 332 Coyotes 63 Bobcats, Called in, or over a dead critter,, or i see them while i am traveling around the ranch checking fence, and water wells, there are 54 water wells, spread out over the ranch . Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Elmer Keith, in 2000 I kept a log book, and tallied the # of Coyotes I killed, that year, Total 332 Coyotes, 63 Bobcats, I didn't count the Pigs But Should have , I try to call Coyotes and Bobcats, when ever i can, and if i find a dead critter that's not all eaten up i will set up for a little while and try to get some predators off it,i also shoot coyotes i see when i am traveling around the ranch, checking wells and fence.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome.

Molon Labe
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

This female crossed the road in front of me, this morning ran about a 100 yrds and stopped and looked back, when i barked at her, big mistake, don't know what she was into but she was full and stunk like hell, almost didn't pick her up. Got the new bottom metal and Mags, for my 6mm Creed, big improvement. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a great service to that property, I'm sure.

With all the Jeep and SxS miles, how do you keep the dust off your scope lenses in daily use? I don't see any BC caps or such. Seems like our "rambling rifles" stay dusty if kept handy in a machine.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, correction: I saw some of the bikini covers at the top of the thread. I use those too...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Got this one way out there, this morning, mousing in north ranch cow pasture. 6.5 PRC will each out and get -um. Rio7

Nice rifle, brake?

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JPro, Downy fabric softener, 1 drop on Bino's And Scope lens, kills the static electricity, reduces the dust to almost nothing, some guy's put shaving cream on all their glass, but Downy works for me. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Couldn't swallow fast enough. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JPro, Downy fabric softener, 1 drop on Bino's And Scope lens, kills the static electricity, reduces the dust to almost nothing, some guy's put shaving cream on all their glass, but Downy works for me. Rio7

Learned something new today. Thanks

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Got 1 close 85 yrds and 1 far 235 yrds, saw 1 more but he got in the brush before i could get a shot. Rio7

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rio,
You are having a heck of a coyote season. I enjoy the pics. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're a killing machine and at least ya spread it out between rifles so they don't feel bad.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
DANNYL,

A different gun every day keeps the Coyotes away. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Some times a pig will show up when i'm calling Coyotes. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn Rio! You have a coyote problem there!

Must be fun!!!!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Dirt nap. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Damn Rio! You have a coyote problem there!

Must be fun!!!!

No - the coyotes have a RIO7 problem there.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EK you got that right

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Almost no teeth, and still fat?? Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Almost no teeth, and still fat?? Rio7

Can't wait to read the autopsy report. wink

And what about with his right hind leg? Is that just dirt or a healed injury?

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Ek, Caught him is a foot hold trap. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Ek, Caught him is a foot hold trap. Rio7

Thank you. I always wonder why coyotes and other predators do exactly step into the trap although Texas is such a big and vast country. Did you bait him?

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
EK,

I have been hanging snares, where Coyotes are crossing fence lines threw holes they and pigs have dug under the fence, this Coyote would walk up to a hole with a snare look close and leave and go to the next hole and walk up and look to see if there was a snare, no snare he would cross under the fence, he would keep checking holes till he found a open hole, Smart old S.O.B. so i set 3 blind foot hold traps on both side of the fence at two open holes, Got Him !! Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
GREAT! Thanky you for your explanations.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Some day's are better than others. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
WOW! How many of them to you shoot each year in average?

Elmer Keith
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son put the carcass of a road kill on his buddy’s property, staked it into the ground with a rope around the carcass. We have hundreds of pictures of the coyotes walking around. Two bobcats jumped on the. Opportunity and chowed on the carcass until yotes showed up and they would leave, come back and eat more. The coyotes took a month before they started eating. We surmise they didn’t like the rope around the carcass. One night picture shows a possum on the carcass and the bobcat sitting at the ass end waiting for it to finish.
Even had a bald eagle fly in for a meal.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

If a feather fell from the sky
a Eagle would see it
a Bear would smell it
a Deer would hear it
a Coyote would do all three.
Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7, ok. Now you may share you secret. There are just five or six of them you put into a freezer and every day you take them out of it and arrange them in different locations. wink .

To be seriously, on how many acres do you take that number of predators? And did you make any observations if coyotes sometimes tend to hunt in packs?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abbydog
One night picture shows a possum on the carcass and the bobcat sitting at the ass end waiting for it to finish..

I've had a number of trail cam pics that showed possums with coyotes and foxes, two animals that I thought might eat a possum, but apparently they left the possum alone. I've always heard that the possum had few enemies because of it's teeth. My grandfather, who did a lot of hunting back in his day, told me that if a possum and a coon met on the same trail, that the coon would always get out of the way and leave the possum alone.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

EK, If we won't or can't eat it, it does not go in the freezer.

I normally hunt about 25000 acres, but i can hunt more if i want to. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JamesJr, Possums are rare a chicken lips here. Rio7

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Lord, you have nearly as many coyotes around your place as Mackay Sagebrush has jackrabbits.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A story my Dad told me growing up during the depression.

When still at home he killed opossum, brought home cleaned it and gave it to his dog. The dog would not eat it. So he got my grandmother to parboil it and gave it to the dog again. The dog still would not eat it. Made a mental note, anything the dog won't eat he was not going to eat it either.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Deans, Try feeding a bear to a dog, nothing i know will eat a bear but chickens -- birds and people. Rio7

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Deans, Try feeding a bear to a dog, nothing i know will eat a bear but chickens -- birds and people. Rio7

That is interesting. I'll have to remember that, not that I will ever kill a bear. Not on my bucket list.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

JamesJr, Possums are rare a chicken lips here. Rio7

Possums are extremely plentiful here. Possum on a half shell, the armadillo, is also starting to show up here. I have several on trail cam.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deans
A story my Dad told me growing up during the depression.

When still at home he killed opossum, brought home cleaned it and gave it to his dog. The dog would not eat it. So he got my grandmother to parboil it and gave it to the dog again. The dog still would not eat it. Made a mental note, anything the dog won't eat he was not going to eat it either.

Back when I was growing up in the 1950's and 60's, the local Blacks would take any possum they could get, along with rabbits and squirrels. I know because I supplied many of the.. My grandfather had hounds back in his day, and did a lot of coon and possum hunting. The coons he would sell for the hides, the possums would in a pen, and be fed straight corn for a week or two, then sold to the Blacks. I also knew a few White people who said they loved a baked possum, cooked with sweet potatoes. My daddy said that he'd seen too many possums feeding up in the belly of dead horse or cow for him to ever want to eat one. I agree.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

He was in Close cover. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7 I am sure he didn't even hear the bang.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Called in these two while checking water this morning, young pair. Rio7

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wow one heck of a thread! I am not sure if I killed as many Coyotes the whole of last year as are pictured in this thread. It isn't all that easy to call them in around my place north of West. Seems there are not as many as there were in past years either. In fact there even seems to be a drop in the feral hog numbers. Plenty of rabbits though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
. . . . In fact there even seems to be a drop in the feral hog numbers. Plenty of rabbits though.

One thing about it
I've never walked up on a rabbit I'd shot
and wanted to puke from the stench

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by rickt300
. . . . In fact there even seems to be a drop in the feral hog numbers. Plenty of rabbits though.

One thing about it
I've never walked up on a rabbit I'd shot
and wanted to puke from the stench

That's a fact, I have shot some pigs that I didn't even want to put the rope on to drag to the pig disposal hole. One time I threw a set of gloves away because the pig stunk them up so bad. Couldn't have em inside the truck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I need to shoot some of the ones around here. Woke me up at 2:30 this morning raising hell out back.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Never know what you will find here. Coyotes made a meal out of these two. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Paired up. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue, you're tearing them up!

I tried yesterday to call up some coyotes. Hit the call, waited about 10 min., and called again. Looked about 300 yds down the pipeline and saw what appeared to be something with ears, looking my way. Eased the rifle up. looked thru the scope, and all I saw was a strange brown lump, where there shouldn't be anything. Scratching my head, trying to figure out what I was looking at. Finally the head came up again, and it was a doe. Just over the hill enough that I couldn't see the legs, just the back (strange brown lump). I just eased out, without spooking her, and went home.

Try again another day.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Randy, I've been giving them hell for the last few weeks, some times it's hard to tell what your looking at in the low morning light. parked the jeep behind a bush, and walked around it and sat down in the shade this morning, tooted my call and this little
female came in, popped her and she spun like a top for about 10 sec. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio,

You may have answered already but what rifle is that?

Is it the 6mm Creedmoor mentioned in your original post?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue, what call(s) are you using?

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

David Walter, Yes

Randy, This morning i used a Critter-Getter , can't remember the name of it, the little one, works good for me. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

It's fun when a Coyote believes your a Jack Rabbit. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are there any coyotes left in Texas?

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

O' YAH !! Rio7

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rio, Enjoying your posting and pictures!!!
What part of S. Texas are you hunting?
I coyote hunt SW of Catarina and as I’m sure you know, Coyotes are thick as fleas there too.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Need your own TV show. Enjoying your successful posts

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been doing my part and, occasionally, not doing my part. blush

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

This old rifle needed aired out, so i took it for a ride, Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

SoTexCurdog, N.E. of Rio Grande City

Wddotts3, I'm to damn ugly to be on tv. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

SKane, Keep it up we need all the help we can get. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Don't see many of these critters here, we have to many Coyotes. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Double Head Ache !! Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Rio what caliber was that old rifle.\?

Molon Labe
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

WyoCoyoteHunter, That old rifle is a .308 shoots great with 130 gr TTSX and Varget, i have to many rifles to keep them all fed and busy. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I under stand. Thanks, and that is a nice problem to have.. One I share.

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

This old rifle needed aired out, so i took it for a ride, Rio7

Fine quarry and a very nice classic rifle. Caliber is 308, but what brand is the gun?

Last edited by ElmerKeith; 02/28/22.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

EK, Whitworth. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Cooper, .243 A.I. 105 gr. Scenar. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio.

What's your coyote load in the 243 AI?

John Stark.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

David Walter, I use 105 gr. Scenar, 41.5 gr H- 4350, CCI-200, OAL 2.810" Works great in my Cooper, AKA as Bloody Mary. Rio7

This is a old Coyote, getting the young dumb Coyotes is easy getting the old smart ones is tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
v~~ 3,000 FPS?

John Stark.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

David Walter, I use 105 gr. Scenar, 41.5 gr H- 4350, CCI-200, OAL 2.810" Works great in my Cooper, AKA as Bloody Mary. Rio7

This is a old Coyote, getting the young dumb Coyotes is easy getting the old smart ones is tough.

RIO7, while all these Coyotes need to be hunted you still have the leisure to produce high precision reloads? wink

How many of these cirtters do you shoot within a year?

Last edited by ElmerKeith; 03/02/22.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

David Walter, Yep, average 3050 fps, very accurate
. Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

E.K, Around 300, Rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Caught these two eating on a Whitetail buck. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx

David Walter, Yep, average 3050 fps, very accurate. Rio7

John Stark.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
good shooting

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RIO7 with all the coyote control that you do has it had a positive effect on cattle, deer and other wildlife?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Deans, Our Whitetail fawn crop has gone up from 46% to 52% over the last 5 years. and we have other predators besides Coyotes, and according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife, Coyotes get 30% of our Quail, Quail hunting, is a big part of what we do. our Exotics reproduction has also increased about 20%. this place is like a big dinner bucket for predators. i'm just slowing them down some, and hunting Coyotes keeps me out of the Whore Houses and Bars, in the off season. Rio7 Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

and hunting Coyotes keeps me out of the Whore Houses and Bars, in the off season. Rio7

laugh laugh

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
hunting Coyotes keeps me out of the Whore Houses and Bars, in the off season. Rio7

Keep shooting coyotes those other two places can get expensive more ways than one. grin grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

This is good to know.

And nice shootin!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

I started this thread about coyotes feeding on a long horn cow that died, we cut her head off, and Ruben And Tim, ranch hands and PHs, cleaned up the head, now to figure where to put it? it takes up a lot of room. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude!

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I started this thread about coyotes feeding on a long horn cow that died, we cut her head off, and Ruben And Tim, ranch hands and PHs, cleaned up the head, now to figure where to put it? it takes up a lot of room. Rio7

I thought that every Texas oil man worth his salt had one of those mounted on the grill of his Caddy. Shouldn't be too hard to get rid of.

Last edited by JamesJr; 03/04/22.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JamesJr, You watch to much Hollywood, no oil here.. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would look great on the hood of my Titan! 😁

Thats pretty cool!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cooper, .243 A.I. 105 gr. Scenar. Rio7

I'm not sure, but I believe that's the first pic of 'Bloody Mary' we've seen on this thread. Thought you might have retired her. grin

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
''
Randy,

Bloody Mary, has been getting a long over due break lately, she got the hell used out of her this season, one hell of a accurate rifle and a real pleasure to carry. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How long is that barrel? 22”?

John Stark.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

David Walter, close---21 1/2" Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a beautiful thing.

John Stark.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Still after them Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7, thank you, so you are still alive. I wondered about missing some pictures from you recently.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

EK, Wind has been blowing so hard, can't stand up , about all i have seen is pigs. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’ve got some awful strange looking coyotes in Texas!!!!!!!! Just saying !!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Whelenman, Kind'a look like pigs HUH !! Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They bear some resemblance to pigs!

Last edited by Whelenman; 03/12/22.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Not a PIG. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Rio, both ar s /223??

Molon Labe
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

WyoCoyoteHunter,

YEP, the one with the red pistol grip is a parts gun, the other one is a real old Bushmaster. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ah, I wondered about the red and black tape. Thanks.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw a coyote Wednesday morning standing along side the road just outside Teflon, Yukon territory. They've come a long ways north

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I saw a coyote Wednesday morning standing along side the road just outside Teflon, Yukon territory. They've come a long ways north

Dennis, I saw my first coyote near the Fort Richardson main gate back in 1976. Fish & Game said that there were no coyotes in AK at that time. Fast forward two years and they had to change their tune since one was killed by a car on the Richardson Hwy at the first Eagle River exit.

In 2003, while hunting the Nelchina herd off of the Denali Hwy, I watched three coyotes working the river bank just below the McLaren River Breaks.

They adapt very well and filter in where wolf numbers have been reduced.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ah, I wondered about the red and black tape. Thanks.

He has that grip wrapped because he has hands the size of baseball gloves. grin

As to the Bushmaster, it's been shot so much he burned out the original SS gas tube a couple of years ago. He wondered why is suddenly started malfunctioning... laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Ed, I cook um you fix um! guns that is, Rio 7

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.