Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Y'all know they didn't have Kennetreks and Meindle's, right? Walked in moccasins until they wore out, then made their own.

Geno likes hunting in moccasins, probably would have enjoyed that part of the trip.

Living wet like they did in Oregon might not have been so much fun.

The bridge to the right of the elevator crosses Almota Creek, where the group camped one evening. Of course, camp might be underwater now, as the Snake is not in the same condition as that river in Kenny's picture

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Through Idaho going west they found no game at all. They ate 1 horse.

They lived for more than 2 years on meat and water.

They traded for and survived on lots of roots from the Nez Perce when they were on the return trip and had to wait for the snow to leave so they could get over Lolo Pass. Corps members were down to trading buttons, ribbon, etc.. off their clothing for roots, in some cases. Deer were tough to find when they were in what is now Idaho. They did manage to kill several dozen deer though and they got some bears. They also had what was known as "portable soup" to eat when things go real tough. It had to be real chore feeding 30 plus hungry people with limited resources.

L and C found they could offer medical treatment to the Nez Perce in trade for roots, fish, horses, dogs, all of which were consumed. The Indians thought them great healers.

Lots of places and rivers in this part of the country carry names from the LC Expedition. A few have some memorable names like; Colt Killed Creek, Horse Steak Meadows, Bears Oil and Roots, Hungry Creek, Portable Soup Camp.... You can guess what they ate or didn't eat at those locations.

In one case, the group were so needing food they sent expedition member, John Ordway, and two others to go from their camp on the Clearwater River to the Snake River (a distance of almost 70 miles) to try trading for the salmon that were rumored to be migrating upriver there. The Indians said the trip would take a day, but it took 3 days to get to the Snake River and Ordway was able to trade for 27 large and fresh salmon. Unfortunately, most of the salmon spoiled by the time they got them back to the main camp on the Clearwater River.

Last edited by Lonny; 01/05/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Thank you Thomas Jefferson

Yep, my favorite President.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever visited Fort Clatsop near Astoria where they wintered? Interesting place where the Columbia meets the Pacific.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're getting some snow, but not too much and are able to deal with it.

I've had really good success ordering from AbeBooks for used books from all over the US and some in Canada too.

They've always been exactly as described.

Here's a link to the Bernard DeVoto book - I see one soft cover for $8 with $5 shipping.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...p;x=84&y=7&yrh=1953&yrl=1953

All the best to you all in 2022.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool pic, Geno.

Chased birds right there a time or two. Place is lousy with rattlers.
I guess that’s to be expected in E WA, right next to a grain elevator.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That Air rifle that Lewis demonstrated for the Indians scared the hell outta ‘em. Basically a parlour trick that worked well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Ever visited Fort Clatsop near Astoria where they wintered? Interesting place where the Columbia meets the Pacific.

I have been there. That looks like the Fort Clatsop I visited before it burned down. Haven't seen the rebuilt version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That picture was taken summer of '95. When did it burn down?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The original Fort Clatsop decayed in the wet climate of the region but was reconstructed for the sesquicentennial in 1955 from sketches in the journals of William Clark. The replica lasted for fifty years, but was severely damaged by fire in early October 2005, weeks before Fort Clatsop's bicentennial. A new replica, more rustic and rough-hewn, was built by about 700 volunteers in 2006; it opened with a dedication ceremony that took place on December 9. The site is currently operated by the National Park Service."

Fort Clatsop

Last edited by Morewood; 01/05/22. Reason: add link
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir, I hope you all are keeping out of the weather back east and are well.

If you've not seen this before, this is the same type air rifle they carried, which I figure is rather cool.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/05/22. Reason: more information

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I heard the threesomes with Sacagawea were epic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir, I hope you all are keeping out of the weather back east and are well.

If you've not seen this before, this is the same type air rifle they carried, which I figure is rather cool.

Dwayne

In eight and a half minutes he couldn't show us how it worked.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're getting some snow, but not too much and are able to deal with it.

I've had really good success ordering from AbeBooks for used books from all over the US and some in Canada too.

They've always been exactly as described.

Here's a link to the Bernard DeVoto book - I see one soft cover for $8 with $5 shipping.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...p;x=84&y=7&yrh=1953&yrl=1953

Dwayne

Thanks D,

I'll check that one out. I'm pretty sure I've bought something from them before and checked the value of another old book I have.

January thaw here. -2F on the 2nd, today just about all the snow in the yard is melting into the ground or going down our seasonal creek to fill the nearly empty reservoir downstream.

More snow perhaps this weekend, but probably mostly rain at our altitude. We'll take whatever the sky drops on us at this point.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Cool pic, Geno.

Chased birds right there a time or two. Place is lousy with rattlers.
I guess that’s to be expected in E WA, right next to a grain elevator.

Well there are some birds around, that's for sure. But pheasants weren't on the Corps menu then.

Rattlers? Yeah, a few, but nowhere near what I lived with in the desert below Hoover Dam.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kingston;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day behaved acceptably for you and you're warm, well and dry.

This is a better video explaining how it works, but somehow the quality of picture isn't great.

It's interesting to me how long air guns have been around.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JD45
I read Undaunted Courage and couldn't put it down. The expedition is an unbelievable story.

This is a great read. Written by Stephen Ambrose.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JD45
I read Undaunted Courage and couldn't put it down. The expedition is an unbelievable story.

Yep. Great read.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Having seen and ridden along the Upper Missouri from Great Falls Mt west in 2019, I am friggin amazed they poled a boat against that current, the labor required must have been astronomical.

Iron Men and Wooden Ships in those days! Your right, imagine inches at a time, instead of yards!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They kept meticulous records. I read that during their months at Ft. Clatsop, they killed 128 elk. They were trying to dry the meat for the trip home but it was so wet that they couldn't do it. It all spoiled.
'Undaunted Courage' mentioned an event that I've never read anywhere else. On the return trip, a group was hunting elk in a quakie patch when one of the men mistook Lewis for an elk and shot him in the butt. It wasn't serious but Lewis spent a lot of time lying on his stomach in a canoe for a while.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.