Print Thread
Hop To
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a ceiling fan in the living room. One switch on one side of room turns the light on with a dimmer switch. On the other side of the room is a switch for the light (no dimmer) and another switch for the fan. A month ago it worked fine. Now, I turn the light on (either switch) and the light works fine for 6 seconds. After that the lights go dim. Not off, but maybe half as bright. I replaced the dimmer switch with a new one and same thing happens. Any ideas?

BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Loose wire nut connection at fan maybe, light going bad. Do they have a ballast in ceiling fan maybe. I be a dumb old plumber, probably should keep pie hole shut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. I recently upgraded a panel in our guest house with Arc Fault (AFCI) to address any "lose" wiring connections. I also replaced most of the old school wire nuts with these - Wago Level Nuts

https://www.wago.com/us/lp-221

Solves the loose connection issue.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is this a NEW fan??

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Is this a NEW fan??

maybe 6 years old. Hardly ever used actually

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am alone to tackle these type things but usually sort things out.....usually.
Do you have another ( as in unused) on- off switch? I might try to replace the non dimmer light switch with a new one. Easy to test and low cost option. Could be something faulty in there.

Like I said- I ain't no pro... but no harm trying these.

Also are the wires connected to the nuts or in the holes in the back of the switch. I have seen when ( in cold days on exterior walls it happens more) that an undersized wire is put into the friction fit hole then the contact gets slightly loose. Move the wire to the nut and voila.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/06/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have run across a similar problem years ago. If you have checked the connections under the sconce and all seems fine I would look at the connector where the fixture and the fan meet. I had one where one of pins in the multi-pin connector pushed out and was not making good contact. Good luck, Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As Hanco said check the connection at the fan. If they used the cheesey wire nuts that don't have metal in them remove and replace. If anything is burnt cut it back and reconnect .

Good luck and Shoot Straight Y'all

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be happy you have separate switches rather than a damn remote. They make you cram the big receiving module into the small housing with all the wires. Real PITA. and of course you have yet another remote to keep track of.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I am alone to tackle these type things but usually sort things out.....usually.
Do you have another ( as in unused) on- off switch? I might try to replace the non dimmer light switch with a new one. Easy to test and low cost option. Could be something faulty in there.

Like I said- I ain't no pro... but no harm trying these.

Also are the wires connected to the nuts or in the holes in the back of the switch. I have seen when ( in cold days on exterior walls it happens more) that an undersized wire is put into the friction fit hole then the contact gets slightly loose. Move the wire to the nut and voila.

I’m with Ken on this replace the 3 way dimmer with a 3 way switch and see what happens. This sounds more electronic than actual electric issue. Dimmer do funny things sometimes. By any chance have you replaced the lamps with LED lamps?

Last edited by Fishnnut1; 01/06/22.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Is this a NEW fan??

maybe 6 years old. Hardly ever used actually

I just ask because SOME of the newer fans have “limiters” in the lighting system that won’t power more than a certain wattage (heaven forbid you have a fan that actually puts out a usable amount of light). They WERE doing the small candelabra fixtures for a while. Then, they went back to the larger sockets, but limited the output, so you could only use VERY low watt led lights.

Just trying to discern whether this is a switch issue, a light fixture issue, or maybe a non-dimmable bulb issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is usually caused by having a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. Unfortunately, it could be in the fan box, the switch box, or anywhere along the circuit in any switch or receptacle box. Usually what happens is a wire being put under a wire nut isn't fully inserted and just sets against the other wires until there is a load on it for awhile and arcing starts to occur. The other situation that often comes up is having a fan on a receptacle/lighting circuit where the wiring to the switches or receptacles is connected through the stab in on the receptacles instead of a binding terminal screw. A long term load on these tiny connection points will often cause arcing and weakening of the springs that keep the contact tab in place.

Start at the most obvious place- the fan- and work your way back. Find which receptacles and light switches are on that circuit by turning off circuits until your fan goes off, then check to see which receptacles are dead...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
I have a ceiling fan in the living room. One switch on one side of room turns the light on with a dimmer switch. On the other side of the room is a switch for the light (no dimmer) and another switch for the fan. A month ago it worked fine. Now, I turn the light on (either switch) and the light works fine for 6 seconds. After that the lights go dim. Not off, but maybe half as bright. I replaced the dimmer switch with a new one and same thing happens. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have three way switch and dimmer? Incandescent lamp ? If so there are a few spots for a voltage drop to happen as is probably indicated by the "dimming" including the fixture itself. Voltage checks through the system should track this down...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. I recently upgraded a panel in our guest house with Arc Fault (AFCI) to address any "lose" wiring connections. I also replaced most of the old school wire nuts with these - Wago Level Nuts

those look pretty cool. did you buy them locally or online?

actually looks like home weblow stocks them.

Last edited by rem141r; 01/06/22.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

those look pretty cool. did you buy them locally or online?

actually looks like home weblow stocks them.

Hah, actually used some of them today for the first time. Had to add onto a string of 5” recessed cans and figured it would be easier to use those instead of trying to install wirenuts through the can interior. They work great. Now back your regularly scheduled program. Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.