Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
This is totally random, and maybe not a bright question, but: do most/many safari destinations have restrictions on blades the way they do on firearms (former military cartridges and so on)? I.e., length or type not allowed to come into the country with a tourist, concealed vs. not, etc.?

Thanks y'all.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have always taken a 3” folder and a fixed blade in a sheath I wear on my belt for every safari (10).

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only been twice, but knives never came up going through customs and immigration in SA, Namibia and Zambia.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've only been once, to Namibia, thru South Africa. No questions asked. I had my normal 3 blade Buck pocket knife and my Leatherman in my suitcase. We used my Leatherman to fix a winch out in the bush. I whittled a couple sticks with my pocket knife, but there was no need for a knife, I just feel like I don't have my fly zipped up when I don't have a pocket knife in my pocket.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only took knives as gifts for the skinners.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took one on my first trip, but saw no need for anything other than my pocket knife on my next four.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No restrictions on fixed blade, regular folding or one hand opening "flick" knives in Namibia, Botswana or South Africa. No personal knowledge about others African countries. I don't know for certain if they restrict "auto opening" spring assist knives like Out the Front automatics or switch blades.

Always travel in you checked bag or better yet in your rifle case.

Taking one and utilization kind of depends on how much you want to immerse yourself in the full experience. I'm personally the happiest when I'm fully participating with my hands on and in the game I've shot, both field dressing and if time permits, in the skinning shed too. Other's prefer to just allow the PH/trackers/skinners do it. No harm in either level of experience - it's your hunt, participate as much or as little as YOU want. It can also depend on where you're hunting and what you're hunting. Shooting a mountain zebra or kudu way back up in the mountains of NW Namibia and you and your PH could be field dressing, skinning and quartering it to get it down and out.

I personally always take a good, fixed < 4" blade belt knife, a folding pocket size box cutter with the replaceable large carpet hook blade to use as a gut hook for zipping them open, a Leatherman and a pocket sharpener. I use them all multiple times on every trip.

I actually take several of the pocket size folding box cutters and a bunch of replacement large hook carpet blades and give them to the skinner(s) as little "gifts". Early on, I'd take a few inexpensive fixed blade knives to give them. Then, I saw them sharping them on just an old rock! Never again. The folding box cutters and a 100 double ended replacement blades will last them a fare amount of time.

If not wanting to be very hands on dealing with the game, then a medium size Leatherman kind of covers things well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since 2000 I've gone on 6 African hunts to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique. I've always taken a fixed blade (or swing blade) belt knife, a Leatherman, and a 2" pocket knife in my luggage. Never had any American of foreign customs problems.

On one of my Mozambique hunts, the skinners were skinning my leopard, and I went over to them with my 2" knife and asked if I could help. They all had a good laugh.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been to Africa 5 times on safari. Trips have been to RSA, Zim and Cameroon. Never had any questions about blades asked. The only ones I ever took were Swiss Army knives and multi-tools. I always gifted the head tracker with the Swiss Army knives and the PHs got the multi-tools at the end of the hunt in addition to the usual tips. They always seemed to appreciate it. I also made it a point to take aspirin, Tylenol, cold medicine, anti-bacterial stuff, Band-Aids, the white sports tape etc... in a small first aid kit as well as a small sewing kit and always left those items was well. Many of the more remote destinations have a hard time getting those items we take for granted here.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Q
Q
Thank you for your knowledge this helps me with my first Safari in 2023

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been three times, never took or needed a knife.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
Been three times, never took or needed a knife.

I had a knife in case the Buff knocked my rifle out of my hands....I could jump on his back and take him out Tarzan style. smile

Last edited by Tarbe; 01/15/22.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used my Swiss army knife daily and my 6" fixed blade several times. I guess it depends on the kinda guy you are. If you want them to do everything but wipe your a$$ then no. I pitched in and did a lot. I even sat a blind one day by myself. I had to deal with 2 warthogs.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Been there seven times and only used my foldind knife 3 or 4 times to cut the skin of the back leg and hook up the winch. Also took several cheap kitchen knives
as gifts to the natives.

Enjoy your trip!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

352 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,665
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.