Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Where is a good, inexpensive place to buy LED headlight replacement bulbs?

Have 2013 Jeep Wrangler and the factory headlights are pretty sad.

Thanks! Virgil B.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ebay or Amazon. You need to watch Amazon's prices. Often they're higher than other online retailers. I often use Amazon to research an item but buy it elsewhere. Ebay ads are very limited in details and reviews.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Excellent article, and it re-affirms my dislike (hatred, actually) for aftermarket LED bulbs in headlights not designed for them. Plus, as stated, they produce less useful light.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You get what you pay for.

Tiny Monsters if you want a hell of an LED.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/05/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
VERY informative post!

After reading this I decided I do NOT want LED lights!

Thanks for sharing!

Virgil B.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by badger

Excellent article, and it re-affirms my dislike (hatred, actually) for aftermarket LED bulbs in headlights not designed for them. Plus, as stated, they produce less useful light.

Spot on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

What is a good factory replacement bulb that will give better lighting?

Have ran PIAA in the past, but they don't last very long.

Is there another replacement bulb made that will last?

Thanks! Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sylvania Silver Stars seem to last pretty well and are brighter then the stock bulbs. More important though, is the condition of your lenses. If they are clouded or sun-damaged, they block a lot of light. Most can be polished to make them clear again.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is your bulb spec , h4?

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very useful thread, thank you all.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not all LED are created the same.Be carful what you buy some knock out your Car/Truck FM radio signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Less useful light? I put a pair of LED's in my Dodge pickup last year. Dodge's are famous for their poor OEM lights. The LEDs at least doubled the light output. For the 1st time, I can actually see the road. There's a very noticable cutoff at the top of the low beam and I've never had a car flash it's lights at me.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
SeanD;

I'm running the factory headlights in my 2013 Jeep Rubicon.

Thinking I should have my lenses polished out, and have a pr. of Sylvania Silver Star bulbs installed.

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
SeanD;

Thinking I should have my lenses polished out, and have a pr. of Sylvania Silver Star bulbs installed.

Virgil B.
It's an easy DIY job. Any parts store will have a buffer pad that fits in an electric drill. Use 2000 to 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand them good by hand, then buff them. In 30 min you can do a fairly good job.
That said, once the outer coating is sanded off, they won't stay clear. It won't be long before you have to do it again. You can get coatings to wipe on that will help keep them shiny but that won't last all that long. The only real long term fix is new lenses.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put these in my 13 wrangler this fall and they are nice, have the halo around the outside you can hook up to turn signals. Install was very easy using directions.
https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-2...mp;ref_=pd_bap_d_csi_bia_sims_prsubs_0_t

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
SeanD;

Virgil B.
It's an easy DIY job. Any parts store will have a buffer pad that fits in an electric drill. Use 2000 to 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand them good by hand, then buff them. In 30 min you can do a fairly good job.
That said, once the outer coating is sanded off, they won't stay clear. It won't be long before you have to do it again. You can get coatings to wipe on that will help keep them shiny but that won't last all that long. The only real long term fix is new lenses.

I tried all the so-called methods on the ‘net as well as NAPA lens kit on our ‘01 Sienna two years ago. Quit wasting time and effort and ordered new headlight fixtures, and installed them. Brand new lights. They were about 40 bucks apiece.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sylvania Silver Stars seem to last pretty well and are brighter then the stock bulbs. More important though, is the condition of your lenses. If they are clouded or sun-damaged, they block a lot of light. Most can be polished to make them clear again.

Have silver stars changed from say 3-5 years ago? I gave them a try and didn’t see a big enough difference in light output and considerably shorter life.

Example of one pair, but not impressed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SeanD;

Virgil B.

As to the new lense deal don't cheap out with some of these aftearket lenses.

Go back with factory lenses. The aftermarket stuff will let moisture in within 3 years if not sooner.

Yeah they look neat but from what I have seen on loads of kids/younger crowd replacing factory stuff to look cool they aren't built with any quality, price reflects that. Most have moisture in them rather quickly.

I just redid my 08 GMC and put all new rear lenses on the truck, factory GM that set me back a few penny's but hopefully they give me 10+ years of service.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
SeanD;

Virgil B.

I tried all the so-called methods on the ‘net as well as NAPA lens kit on our ‘01 Sienna two years ago. Quit wasting time and effort and ordered new headlight fixtures, and installed them. Brand new lights. They were about 40 bucks apiece.

A co-worker claims pretty good results wiping them with diesel fuel.
It definitely makes them clear. Don't last long, but ain't hard to do either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
810 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.