Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Ringman
If the ocean suddenly broke through the strait between mainland Turkey and Europe and inundated thousands of square miles you can bet the same thing happened other places all over the world. I would imagine people living close to the original beach had boats on which some survived. I'm not believing the Alps, Himalayas, Rockies, etc. went under water. You don't believe that, do you?

Those mountains didn't exist prior to the Flood. Even secular geologist recognize they are uplifted.

Well, yes, the mountains are uplifting even now. How long ago was the flood? How old are those mountains? If every piece of ice on earth melted do you think water would have covered the mountains as they were 5000, 10,000, or 12,000 years ago? Mount Ararat is almost 17,000 feet above sea level. Was it flat land back then?

Flood was about 5,000 -6,000 years ago. Due to tides and current beyond our present understanding the earth would have been pretty much planed to almost smooth. Any graduate student or serious student of geology knows if the earth was smoothed out, water would be about two miles deep.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Willto
Because the next logical question (as you already stated) simply becomes Okay, where did this God come from? What made it? How does it have these powers?
And even if one subscribed to the "Hey all this must have come from somewhere so there must be a God" line of thinking (I don't) that generalistic notion in no way indicates which of the many gods the religions on this earth subscribe to is the correct one.

Your question is a logical dodge. It's like asking, to whom is the bachelor married? Only an Infinite Being could qualify as God. Anything less is angel or demon worship.

The idea that it all came from somewhere actually supports the idea God exist because even a child knows nothing produces nothing. It makes no difference how many degrees a person has they know deep inside the child is correct.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Nope, it never happened. There's evidence of populations of people living elsewhere around the world before and after the time of the alledged flood event. Geological evidence dismisses a global flood event.

The people who wrote the bible didn't know that so got caught out on that lie too. The biblical tale of creation is also fiction.

Your ignorant prejudice is obvious when you talk about time lines.

Where's your evidence to support your accusation?

No evidence that man was even ever globally wiped out, let alone by a mega-flood that never happened.

Because you don't accept evidence in no way lets you off the hook.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the ocean suddenly broke through the strait between mainland Turkey and Europe and inundated thousands of square miles you can bet the same thing happened other places all over the world. I would imagine people living close to the original beach had boats on which some survived. I'm not believing the Alps, Himalayas, Rockies, etc. went under water. You don't believe that, do you?

Those mountains didn't exist prior to the Flood. Even secular geologist recognize they are uplifted.

Well, yes, the mountains are uplifting even now. How long ago was the flood? How old are those mountains? If every piece of ice on earth melted do you think water would have covered the mountains as they were 5000, 10,000, or 12,000 years ago? Mount Ararat is almost 17,000 feet above sea level. Was it flat land back then?

Flood was about 5,000 -6,000 years ago. Due to tides and current beyond our present understanding the earth would have been pretty much planed to almost smooth. Any graduate student or serious student of geology knows if the earth was smoothed out, water would be about two miles deep.
I didn't know that. I was lucky to graduate high school.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
even a child knows nothing produces nothing.

Then how did god come from nothing. If it's absurd to think that the universe may have always existed in some form then it's equally ridiculous to turn around and say that a god has just always existed. If everything must come from something then where did god come from? You want to give this god you believe in a special exemption from the same logic you want to force others to rigidly adhere to.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who here is ‘forcing’ anyone else here “to rigidly adhere to” anything…? We’re just having a discussion. On a discussion forum.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by antlers
Who here is ‘forcing’ anyone else here “to rigidly adhere to” anything…? We’re just having a discussion. On a discussion forum.

Wasn't talking to you. I was pointing out the ridiculous double standard of saying on the one hand that the universe must come from something but then exempting a god from that same logic. This is pretty easy to understand. It's almost like you guys are intentionally obtuse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As opposed to “you guys” pointing out that life on earth and all of creation can come from nothing, but then exempting God from that same logic.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As opposed to “you guys” pointing out that life on earth and all of creation can come from nothing, but then exempting God from that same logic.

Well the difference is that the universe undeniably exists. There is no evidence of god.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I didn't make up the existence of the universe or the earth. But men did make up god as a means to explain it's origin.

Last edited by Willto; 01/07/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no evidence of god.
Others choose to see things differently than you do. And that is their prerogative.
But men did make up god as a means to explain it's origin.
That’s your assertion; I disagree with it, but I have no problem with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you believe in a highest good, you believe in God.
If you believe in truth, you believe in God.
If you believe in transcendent beauty, you believe in God.

Is that worthy of worship? Should we worship this?

Politics is War by Other Means
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
I choose to believe what I do. And you choose to believe what you do, despite your assertion that you have “actual evidence” that you clearly don’t have. The ‘only’ one in this particular discourse between you and I who has mentioned “evidence” for God’s existence has been you. Clearly.

Can you choose not to believe whatever it is you do believe is true? Being convinced of the truth, are you able to just switch your conviction off as a matter of choice?

No answer?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you believe in an uncaused cause, you believe in God.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read that the universe is 13.8 billion years old and was formed when gravity or something pulled all matter into such a dense mass that something had to give and we had the mother of a nuclear type of an explosion. Young earth folks say against all evidence that creation was like 5,000 years ago and earth was created and populated in 7 days. I am not atheist but sticking to that 5000 year story doesn't wash. I believe a lot of these 5,000 year creationists cause a lot of thinking people to shake their heads and walk off.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone

False Dichotomy. There are other possibilities, the universe may be cyclic, a part of a multiverse, etc, etc....it is not known.

We don't know.

We don't know, therefore God, is not an argument.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no evidence of god.
Others choose to see things differently than you do. And that is their prerogative.
But men did make up god as a means to explain it's origin.
That’s your assertion; I disagree with it, but I have no problem with it.

How does seeing things differently relate to evidence? Seeing evidence where no evidence exists? Interpreting something that may have multiple explanations in one's own favour?

Evidence is something that anyone can examine and draw much the same conclusion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tyrone

False Dichotomy. There are other possibilities, the universe may be cyclic, a part of a multiverse, etc, etc....it is not known.

We don't know.

We don't know, therefore God, is not an argument.
You are proposing an uncaused cause too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]For those who are interested in such, you might enjoy this read.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The bible says it rained for 40 days and 40 nights until the highest mountains were covered to a depth of 15 cubits. It doesn't say the earth was planed smooth. You say the earth was planed smooth.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.