Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

I own both and like both, but I seem to have a greater attachment to the 7-08.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m not a gun writer. But the 7mm-08 didn’t have a full scale marketing campaign behind it’s introduction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

I own both and like both, but I seem to have a greater attachment to the 7-08.

6.5CM: Lighter recoil, finer inherent accuracy, less down-range drift with less recoil, more and better factory ammo, and rifles properly twisted out of the box.

I was in my second year of college when the 7-08 appeared, so I should be a candidate for it. I tried, I'm not. I prefer the 6.5 CM.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brad

6.5CM: Lighter recoil, finer inherent accuracy, less down-range drift with less recoil, more and better factory ammo, and rifles properly twisted out of the box.

Good summary, although I like the 7mm-08 and personally prefer it over the 6.5 CM for game larger than deer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The 150 scenars in .284 will give the 6.5 CM a good fight, no?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
7mm-08 started out with factory ammo that sucked. WTG Remington. The CM didn't.

Now the 7mm-08 has some great factory ammo.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What Brad said, plus what Puddle just posted.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The biggest factors haven't been mentioned. Those are the 6.5 creeddmooe was very well marketed and it came about when the internet was mature enough to take advantage of online forums and campaigns. That's a big deal.

Personally I don't have any use for the 6.5 creed. Not to say it's bad or worthless but I just don't own one because I already have an 308win, 30-06, and a 270win. But still it's nice to see the 6.5 become very popular and widespread commercial success. That's a bonus for everyone whether you like the manbun or not.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Because people are coming out of the closet, the 7/08 is less gay.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Partsman
I thought the 7/08 was pretty dang ghey when it came out and gave it a great big yawn. I've never changed my mind.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
The biggest factors haven't been mentioned. Those are the 6.5 creeddmooe was very well marketed and it came about when the internet was mature enough to take advantage of online forums and campaigns. That's a big deal.

Maybe, but doesn't account for everything by a long shot....

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I thought the 7/08 was pretty dang ghey when it came out and gave it a great big yawn. I've never changed my mind.

Lot's of homo-phoebes on this site... never not revealing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Whatever man, the cartridge bores the shyt out of me and always has. Plus everybody I've known in the 42 years since it was introduced who held it as a favorite was a great big dorky ass hole so there is that. I'll never own one myself.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] Whatever man, the cartridge bores the shyt out of me and always has. Plus everybody I've known in the 42 years since it was introduced who held it as a favorite was a great big dorky ass hole so there's another strike. I'll never own one myself.
[/quote]

That's pretty impressive....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Damn... My wife is right... I am a dorky a-hole!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Actually, the 6.5 Creedmoor did NOT get promoted much in 2007, when it appeared, in mainstream magazines and hunting sites on the Internet, because it was designed as a target round, a relatively specialized market.

Instead, it started getting discovered by hunters around 2010, and only after word-of-mouth started getting around did articles and ads specifically directed at hunters start appearing.

But yes, the 6.5 CM has gotten better press than the 7mm-08 did at first, for the reasons stated in previous posts. One biggie was that factory ammo was almost always very accurate--and pretty inexpensive. I've fooled with around eight 6.5 Creedmoors, from the cheapest factory rifles to customs costing 10 times as much, and the WORST accuracy from factory was three shots in an inch at 100 yards. Most shot a lot better.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] Whatever man, the cartridge bores the shyt out of me and always has. Plus everybody I've known in the 42 years since it was introduced who held it as a favorite was a great big dorky ass hole so there's another strike. I'll never own one myself.

That's pretty impressive....
[/quote] My prejudices for or against certain cartridges are as valid as any of the cutesy sentimental cartridge musings I hear from the loonies here.

PS. the .257 Roberts bores the living hell out of me too and I won't ever own one because it carries the same name as a stinky little booger eater from my grade school days named Ronnie Roberts. Can't hear the name without thinking of that gross little dork.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackheart,

Are you trying to replace Llama Bob?

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Whatever man, the cartridge bores the shyt out of me and always has. Plus everybody I've known in the 42 years since it was introduced who held it as a favorite was a great big dorky ass hole so there is that. I'll never own one myself.

Maybe it's the people you know, and not the cartridge.

Seriously though, I don't own a 6.5 CM, but I thought I read that the big advantage of the 6.5 CM case over the .308 parent case for the .260 Rem was that the CM case had the same volume but was shorter, so long, pointy bullets would fit in a standard short-action mag. box.

Or did I just mis-remember that?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh

Good summary, although I like the 7mm-08 and personally prefer it over the 6.5 CM for game larger than deer.

Plus 1

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.