Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I still have my first Lynch box call, box and manual. Here's the manual. When you didn't have anyone to teach you and you had to learn on your own, this is one of the first things I relied on, My first text book on turkey calling.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/07/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice! Yep, learn on your own. I remember finding a cassette tape by an outdoor biologist that put a cassette recorder out in the turkey woods and just recorded sounds, turkey and all. Still have it somewhere around here. I like those old box calls!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
cool call, I learned on my own as well.
After you mess up a bunch you finally halfway figure it out

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would listen to live hens, and try to do what they did

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I love box calls. Not sure they're used much anymore. I have 8 or 10. IMHO, nothing produces a more realistic yelp than a good box call.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a few myself but mostly hunt with mouth calls. I don't want the extra movement if I don't have to have it, same goes for pot calls.
I have used pot calls more than box, but to be honest, I think I run a box call better than the pot calls, but the pot calls fit in my vest better.
Mouth calls are my go to calls

Last edited by pullit; 01/07/22.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a couple of custom Mark Hall box calls as well as a few of his pot calls

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like boxes for their volume. They're loud. You can really reach out with them. Good for pulling in distant birds. They're easy to cluck with, too.

I use pot calls, too. In fact, my most reliable locator is an alumium or glass pot that lets me make a really loud, high pitched yelp. I've had way more responses to a sudden, high pitched, very loud yelp than to a crow or owl locator call. In fact, I've had birds not respond at all to a crow call, but respond immediately to a high pitched yelp.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know when I was hunting TX a lot, those Rio's loved the high pitched calls.
Most but not all Easterns where I hunt seem to like the more raspy calls. If I can't get one to hit on the raspy call, I switch to a high pitched call.

Last edited by pullit; 01/07/22.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Killed my first gobbler with a M.L. Lynch World Champion box call following those same instructions.

I never used the tooth picks or the rubber bands...I am a believer in the tuning peg that wedged inside the box call..

Most people don't know about the "tuning peg" in the third picture down from the top....in place it raised the pitch of the caller.

With those instructions and Lynchs box call anyone could call and kill a Turkey if they paid attention to what Lynch wrote.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never cared for the Lynch single sided "Fool Proof" box call....I often wondered why he named it the "Fool Proof".

Did he mean the call was fool proof on turkeys or that even a fool could call a turkey with it.

I have his old 45 records transferred onto CD....listening to him play the calls it's obvious to me the "Jet Slate" was "his caller".
Take the time to learn how to hold the call and softly play one and the Jet Slate is a killer call.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Fool Proof. Only used it once or twice. Works perfectly well. It's good for yelps and that's about it. I guess you can cluck with it. It's not as versatile as a two sided box, but it would be easier to learn basic yelps on without screwing them up too badly.

I don't have any custom made calls. All of my calls are fairly run of the mill boxes. I have several Lynches, HSs, and Quaker Boys. Quaker Boy was underrated. I have a mid 90s vintage Quaker Boy Water Proof that is pretty compact and is probably my most used box.

I just rchecked and Lynch still makes the Jet call. I've never had one. I'm tempted to buy and and give it a whirl.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/08/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Dick Kirby big ol paddle board around here somewhere, haven't used it in years. Did just pick up a new Quaker Boy "Grand Old Master" box call because Dunham's had it on sale. A box call is the only hand held call I'll use, dedicated mouth call user here.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used almost all of them. Slates, mouth, box, push peg. It's hard to use a box or slate when a bird is up close. Even behind a blind concealing motion I still have use both hands. Up close, I'll use a mouth or push peg. Push peg is another undedrated call I think a lot of hunters never try.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i still use my lynch world champion my dad bought me in 73. i use it to get the birds interested and then sit nice and quiet and cluck and purr with a mouth call.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old Lynch World Champion that must be about 40 years old. It's a good sounding box call. I have a couple custom boxes and probably 8 or 9 custom pot/peg calls. I really like working the calls, be it a box or pot call and they flat out call turkeys. When the bird starts getting close most often I'll switch to a diaphragm. I have seen that backfire, the bird is tuned into that sound from the friction call and the mouth call turns them off. Gotta love/hate the finicky nature of 3-4 year old gobblers.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started with a Lynch fool proof but then switched over 20 years ago to Paul Meek calls. He designed a mini paddle for me for long range calling in our big canyon country and it works great. Along with his other calls he also introduced me to a scratch box call many years ago. Love it and it is a great finishing call. Have over 50 toms with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I love box calls. Not sure they're used much anymore. I have 8 or 10. IMHO, nothing produces a more realistic yelp than a good box call.

Truth.

I'm overwhelmingly a mouth call guy. But I'm never, EVER without a box call in the woods. Got to the woods some day with a guy who's good with mouth, box and pot & peg. Go out 50-75 yards and have him run all 3. You'll come home with a new-found respect for a box call.

The other thing about a box........and it's already been mentioned.......is the distance/volume factor. In big country where you fins Merriam's, Rios and Gould's the volume of a box is a huge advantage. Likewise, even for Easterns in rolling terrain or on a windy day.............box call gets to their ears better than any other call.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a nice piece; saved some of the pics. Have used a Foolproof for years; killed many birds with it. Recently found one of the Lynch Jet Slates and a Raspy Hen box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.