Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a good illustration of the problems feral pigs pose to farmers' crops.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And not one gun..

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by longarm
And not one gun..

My thought as well.

Good example of where a high capacity semi- .308 would be handy.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like that is in Europe. Over there they don't consider them to be pests but rather a valued game animal.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is why the minigun was invented.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Houston, we have a problem!!!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Farmer would likely say “ The Damn things are ruining my crops and destroying my land” then offer to let you shoot a few for 500 or so.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 01/08/22.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy of mine keeps his AR in his combine cab when cutting row crops for this very reason. He’s killed hundreds of the things off the platform. It’s even better when you go ride with him and shoot while he’s moving. I think him and my uncle killed 27 out of one milo patch.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can understand why farmers/ranchers/landowners
are reluctant to allow people on their property.
I would imagine they get tired of picking up trash
cigarette butts, drink cans, food packages, running
over empty hulls, having to fix deep muddy ruts,
etc. etc.
At least if they see pigs doing any mayhem on
their property, they can shoot at the pigs

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ranger99
etc. etc.

It isn't hard to weed those types out.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
etc. etc.

Some will allow people they know and trust to shoot hogs but the liability of allowing strangers is too much. Also if they come once they want to come back and even worse bring a friend. That is also a problem with friends, neighbors, and relatives. They want to come back and hunt deer and ducks or target shoot with friends. It seems to me if you want a enemy one of the best ways to accomplish that is to let someone hunt for free.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The liability is a problem unless you have a signed document absolving the landowner from lawsuits. Trapping is the best way to get rid of the bastards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
The liability is a problem unless you have a signed document absolving the landowner from lawsuits. Trapping is the best way to get rid of the bastards.
I had a guest once threaten to shoot a neighboring landowner after my guest used my property to access the neighboring property which was posted. I would have been liable for allowing a defective onto my place. Also indiscriminate rifle shots go right over fences. You can't get out of liability with a signed release in Louisiana.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Farmer would likely say “ The Damn things are ruining my crops and destroying my land” then offer to let you shoot a few for 500 or so.

I know of no farmers who charge to hunt hogs on their farms. None.

Most of them only let on people they know and trust though.

If you or anyone else can provide one example of what you are saying, I'd be glad to see it. I see that same lie many times. Mostly from out of state people.

I know of some hunting outfitters that charge to hunt hogs. Or ranchers that include the hog hunting with the deer lease. But if farmers or ranchers are getting hog damage and want them killed, they don't charge. They may be selective with who they let on their places, but they don't charge for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It is sad but too many have no common sense and less manners.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
etc. etc.

Some will allow people they know and trust to shoot hogs but the liability of allowing strangers is too much. Also if they come once they want to come back and even worse bring a friend. That is also a problem with friends, neighbors, and relatives. They want to come back and hunt deer and ducks or target shoot with friends. It seems to me if you want a enemy one of the best ways to accomplish that is to let someone hunt for free.

This is the total opposite from my practices... I have places that i have gained permission to hunt/fish... The landowners have been beyond gracious to allow me to hunt and fish to my hearts content. I would NEVER bring others to their land not would i bring someone to a dove shoot or duck hunt I was invited to. Just COMMON SENSE.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

I know of no farmers who charge to hunt hogs on their farms. None.

Most of them only let on people they know and trust though.

If you or anyone else can provide one example of what you are saying, I'd be glad to see it. I see that same lie many times. Mostly from out of state people.

I know of some hunting outfitters that charge to hunt hogs. Or ranchers that include the hog hunting with the deer lease. But if farmers or ranchers are getting hog damage and want them killed, they don't charge. They may be selective with who they let on their places, but they don't charge for it.

That is nice hear that . However, I am sure it is an excuse for many land owners to say they fear liability . I have not heard one time in my life a hunter that sued a land owner or ruined something. Not one time. I have read on the message boards however of certain things. I still know some farmers here that let strangers hunt for free, even though it is getting rare since leasing has become popular. I cant see for the life of me, why there is such a hog problem that never gets resolved in any way when there is such a high demand for hunting hogs. Are southern hunters less respectfull? Do some southern hunters think they have a natural born right to be disrespectfull? Not that I care. I never hunted them, and likely never will .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ihookem

That is nice hear that . However, I am sure it is an excuse for many land owners to say they fear liability . I have not heard one time in my life a hunter that sued a land owner or ruined something. Not one time. I have read on the message boards however of certain things. I still know some farmers here that let strangers hunt for free, even though it is getting rare since leasing has become popular. I cant see for the life of me, why there is such a hog problem that never gets resolved in any way when there is such a high demand for hunting hogs. Are southern hunters less respectfull? Do some southern hunters think they have a natural born right to be disrespectfull? Not that I care. I never hunted them, and likely never will .

We are not going to "hunt" our way out of a hog problem.

The hogs reproduce at rates that hunting can't touch. You can kill off the hogs on a single tract, or at least convince them there are safer places. But they'll be back...sooner or later. wink The places left untouched by management or hunting are a safe breeding ground for hogs.

To answer your question about southern hunters being disrespectful... I don't know that southern hunters have a corner on that market. If my years of ranching in BLM & Natl Forest lands are any barometer, it seems like every box of apples has a few bad ones. Gates torn down, or left open, water sources and windmills damaged and shot full of holes, driving across pastures harming the grass, fences cut, cattle shot, or even chased by motercycles... The list goes on.

I do know a few landowners who would rather have the hog damage than deal with the hunters... paid or unpaid.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So why is it bad if a landowner is trying to recoup some of the cost of the damage by charging for hog hunting? I know many ranchers that will not allow anyone to hunt hogs unless they know them, $1 million would not get a stranger on their place.

If you want to hunt hogs for free go buy some land in Texas and have at it.

The damage they cause has an economic affect, no reason they shouldn't be trying to regain some of that loss caused by hogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
That is nice hear that . However, I am sure it is an excuse for many land owners to say they fear liability . I have not heard one time in my life a hunter that sued a land owner or ruined something. Not one time. I have read on the message boards however of certain things. I still know some farmers here that let strangers hunt for free, even though it is getting rare since leasing has become popular. I cant see for the life of me, why there is such a hog problem that never gets resolved in any way when there is such a high demand for hunting hogs. Are southern hunters less respectful? Do some southern hunters think they have a natural born right to be disrespectful? Not that I care. I never hunted them, and likely never will .
I would tell you a story of a neighbor I allowed to hunt whose disrespect for rules caused me to evict him. You wouldn't believe his actions in retaliation and the 3 court actions I had to bring against him for restraining orders. It ended with the sheriff coming out and killing him. So now unless it is a really close friend or trusted family member like my brother in law, son in law, or kids and grand kids there are no hunters coming on the place.

As to "southern hunters" I have travelled extensively in the west and from Alaska down to New Mexico and out to Oregon and California I see road signs shot to hell. Not necessarily hunters I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.